Author Topic: Marking water depth  (Read 2125 times)

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
Marking water depth
« on: Jan 27, 2004, 01:58 PM »
Does anyone have a good way of marking depth on a spinning reel when jigging?

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
Re:Marking water depth
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2004, 02:07 PM »
If you buy one of the El' Cheapo jig poles the plastic spool has holes in the side where you can insert a peg so that when you reel up the line rolls over the peg rather than on the rest of the spool. That way when you unwind down to the peg you know you are back to the same depth.
On one of my jig poles I have a small bait caster style reel ($10 or so) in which I used regular Polar Ice line on. Every foot or two you can hit it with black paint so that that you can count the depth as it sinks down. I have a long monofilament liter (10 ft) so that it should not affect the fish from striking, it's no worse than fish with a tip-up.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2004, 02:39 PM »
Carpcathcher,

If you have found the right depth and want to return to it without having to measure again here's a tip.  When you are at the right depth, put a rubber band around the spool a couple of times.  If you do hook a monster, the line will still come off of the spool, but a little bit rougher than without the rubber band.  When you reel up, the line just covers the rubber band.  When you drop your line in again, the line comes off the spool until it reaches the rubber band and stops.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2004, 02:45 PM »
Use a bobber stop.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2004, 03:21 PM »
I use the knot style bobber stop.

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2004, 03:26 PM »
Bobber stop works best.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2004, 05:22 PM »
Save your money and buy a flasher.  Not only tells you depth but sees fish for you.  It is the single best ice fishing investment that I've ever made.  Lot's of conversation on this topic in many threads.  Remember when you finally buy one that you still have to know how to tempt fish into hitting and that your flasher is a tool and it can't make fish bite.

Until then, use the tips above...

...and also the "depth finder" weight that you can attach to a long piece of string to test depth.  Mark the string with 1' increments.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2004, 05:42 AM »
Try  using Distance off bottom as a reference instead. Drop it all the way down and count cranks of the reel to set your distance off bottom.

I seldom use electronics in less than 20 fow and never see the need in familiar waters regardless of depth. Watching non responsive fish on a Vex makes no sense to me. If they're there and are biting you're IN! You can watch TV, change jigs and tease fish for a couple of hours in the same spot  without finding the right combination.  

I Move, Move, Move till I find responsive fish, the right cover, bottom structure etc.

Sight fish!!! Watch them and see how they react to your presentation. Use your knowledge of the lake and the information you gather from those around you to find a productive area.

My gadgets are for totally unfamiliar water. Then to find depth and structure.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2004, 06:17 AM »
But with a vexilar if a fish comes in above your jig you can adjust to that level or just above it and get it to bite 99% of the time. Its been my experience with fish above your jig they dont like to go down to bite. Once you fish a vexilar you wont be without it!

acsacmboy

« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2004, 04:09 PM »
get a vex. or zercom. or marcum. save your money. it will help.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2004, 04:29 PM »
I have an FL-8 but I still find it handy to have a bobber stop knot tied on at times.

Offline racepoint

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2004, 06:00 PM »
I use the rubber band method.......(at proper desired depth wrap a rubber band around spool).  Never had a problem yet with it.
Hey Jake!  Flag Up !!  (LMAO)

arrowhead

« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2004, 08:19 PM »
What I do is, put my weight on my jig, drop it down to the bottom. Then with a sharpy maker, color a small section of the line right by the reel. Then you reel up your clip on weight, take it off and let the jig fall until you see your line with the marker on it. Then just reel the line up to the depth you want and you're fishin!

arrowhead

icefishnfool

« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2004, 08:25 PM »
if you buy a vexilar .....you will catch more fish .......you see what is down there .....good luck , Mark Sirko

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2004, 08:50 PM »
Man I dont care A flasher helps me even when they are biting I put the bait on there nose and when they arnt it helps even more I out fish my friends 5-1 and they know the lake.And I smash them and I dont know the lake
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2004, 08:56 PM »
Get a flasher! Fish dont hold at the same depths all the time, you wont know if you cant see it, a flasher will show you!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.