Author Topic: What do you like to use for lake trout baits?  (Read 14806 times)

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
What do you like to use for lake trout baits?
« on: Dec 02, 2008, 09:07 PM »
   I was just wondering what the rest of the anglers out there are useing for baits jigging for lakers.

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What do you like to use for lake trout baits?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2008, 12:45 PM »
Cold Lake, AB I would say anchovies work the best.
I gotta chubby

Offline wolverine-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2008, 07:34 PM »
 SMELT, caught from same lake the night before and kept alive . Usually I`ll run one down with slip sinker rig off tip-up,and use the head and tale from dead smelt on a sand-kicker jig...They have a single hook in front and rear,like a jig`n rapala.Jig  aggressive and stir -up the bottom.Hence the name.Can be lots of fun.When they hit the rod it will be smashed hold on at all times.As for the tip-up somedays they can be set and brought up, others need to run for sometime,2-3 minutes maybe..longer.

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2008, 07:37 PM »
5" Glow tube jig tipped with small strip of sucker meat. An eye ball from a previously caught fish work well too.

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Dont leave fish to find fish
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2008, 03:55 PM »
1 once  white jighead with a white ice tubejig

Christopher S Neal
3rd place 2011 NEIT Points Race
1st Place Lilly Lake 2011
1st Place Beechwood Lake 2012

Offline RS_ICEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2008, 11:14 PM »
A 3 to 5 inch white or green tube jig tiped with a strip of sucker meat or a minnow works well for smaller lakers.  For the big dogs i have found that a silver or yellow doctor spoon or a 8 inch tora tube white or green with anise scent works well.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2008, 03:50 AM »
Smelt !!!!!!!

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2008, 08:44 PM »
For Cold Lake ....Glow in the dark jig heads 2 oz
Best fishing is before the sun comes up  !
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2008, 07:02 PM »

On tip ups preferably dead or live smelt.. I have had them take shinners but very rarely. Smelt definately out produces them where I fish.

Jigging I use a variety of Pimples and Rapalas.....
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2008, 08:22 PM »
A two pound whitefish!!!!!   ;D
But usually big ciscoes or herring.

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2008, 09:08 PM »
This is what we use here in western Wyoming and East Idaho. 3/4 and 1 oz tube jigs tipped with sucker meat!

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww279/jaklakmak/jigs004.jpg

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2008, 10:38 PM »
  Good to know east to the west and due northwest what guys are useing. Out here fishing in the islands we use beetles from 1, 2, 3 oz that have pins on them to hold the cut bait on  herring or smelt. I make them and a few other guys around the area as well. I will post some picts in the am. Im planing a trip out to Fort Peck to see my unkle and do some fishing up there this winter should be fun. I love chaseing lakers and big trout. Maybe Ill have a tastey beetle for there eyes Im sure going to try them out there and check in to the shops and see what they carry for trout gear. Again good luck guys.

Offline frydaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2008, 10:46 PM »
On a slow day, sometimes just a herring head on a plain hook.  Jig, and let it lay on the bottom.  I've had them scoop that up when they won't touch a jig.   :tipup:
<br />

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2008, 07:32 PM »
This is what we use here in western Wyoming and East Idaho. 3/4 and 1 oz tube jigs tipped with sucker meat!...

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2008, 07:50 PM »
Thanks BottomDweller! Didn't even notice. Goin up to Island Park Res. tomorrow to get some cuts, cutbows, and bows. Will let everyone in the region how we did. Heard there's 6-10" of ice there.

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2008, 08:02 PM »
Here's my Lake Trout baits. 1/2 oz - 3 oz

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2008, 08:15 PM »
Heres a mix tail.

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Dont leave fish to find fish
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2008, 10:19 PM »
You have caught fish on those things??
Christopher S Neal
3rd place 2011 NEIT Points Race
1st Place Lilly Lake 2011
1st Place Beechwood Lake 2012

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2008, 10:58 PM »
Yeah no crap they look like something you would use to catch big lakers on Mars! No offence just neat lookin!!

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2008, 07:38 AM »
   Yep I use and make them every year for fishing lakers here in the islands of lake superior. The baits are made by me and a few locals make them also. Just pin your cut bait on and down the hole it go's and the darting action you get is awsome every time you pump it. After all when a laker comes in on a bait fish that bait fish is not going to sit still they dart off and on the way back down  a laker will smack it.

NAD42

« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:25 PM »
crawdads

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2008, 11:13 AM »
I usually never get on a lake right after ice on and the lakers are hitting the big jigs.  By the time I'm out there they've all seen 100 or more 5" tubes with sucker meat and don't hit em any longer.  That's when I drop down to ~2" rubber bodied marabu jig tipped with a meal worm.  We've had pretty good luck when we drop down in size and no one else on the lake is doing any good.

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
« Reply #22 on: Dec 31, 2008, 06:43 PM »
  Im going to try some of them tubes in the shallower water this year maybe stuff a minnow head up in there for scent should work. Do any of you use any of the spray or gell scents on them tubes?

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya' gotta kill it !, To grill it !
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2009, 01:44 AM »
   Yep I use and make them every year for fishing lakers here in the islands of lake superior. The baits are made by me and a few locals make them also. Just pin your cut bait on and down the hole it go's and the darting action you get is awsome every time you pump it. After all when a laker comes in on a bait fish that bait fish is not going to sit still they dart off and on the way back down  a laker will smack it.
I just wanted to say, that your lures look excellent!, and make a lot of sense...givin the huge craze of the tinsel flies, and twinkie cutbait rigs that have been producing tons of salmon/trout out of the big lakes during the last 10 or more spring to fall seasons. I definitely could see why they would work. Another idea, -if your looking to experiment, maybe try adding a couple glow beads, like a trolling fly to one, and try it out. I'd be curious to see how that would produce...Good Fishin'...SalmonRebel.

WHACK'EM!!! AN STACK'EM!!!

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:03 PM »
  Now you got me there SalmonRebel, I did that last year and all my hard water bro's thaught I was nut's I ran a small Howie fly out the back on a thin wire the big fish little snack combo and to say when I was up 3 fish to there none they were begging to use my other ones I had I prob could have sold it to them for a 100 dollars. I have always liked to use something that is new and far from the normal and always done well with it. The whitefish loved to peck the fly as well.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2009, 05:39 PM »
I kinda figured, you'd be onto something really good by doing that, Venom. Big trout fishing here in northeastern PA. is no comparison to what it is in the "big lakes". I might be going to one of the bays off of Lake Ontario within a few weeks. We'll be focussing alot on the perch, but i'm gonna put a few lines down for some lunker trout. I've trolled eastern Lake Ontario with my father for years, and to me, everything else fails in comparison. Although...I really enjoy ice fishing, it does offer a totally different element, and I'm not only talking about the cold. I just love fishing, and the outdoors, it is a huge part of my life, and I'm proud of it. Good luck to ya' Venom, and...remember the GLOW BEADS!, great lures, talk to ya' again...SalmonRebel.

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2009, 07:26 PM »
 SalmonRebel, I got to say it's like your in my head trolling for trout in salmon is my hunt and I hunt it very hard and when the lake has ice I'm not stoping just break out the hard water gear. I have made baits most of my life and makeing one drives me to make another even better. I punch out my own spoons,flashers, and custom paint sticks and plugs and cut my molds for lake trout beetles. I'm the one man army with alot of ideas and love to create. Have you fished with beetles over your way ever? I have glow beads on most to all of my stinger hooks that are on my baits. And the ones that dont have glow flash mixed it to the tail it self. Good luck till next time.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2009, 10:22 PM »
Venom, I never recall seeing a beetle jig, until I looked at your post. Over here in PA., besides Lake Erie, I don't think you would have many practical places for them. When I said, in PA. trout are no comparison to the big lakes, I should of said, that it leaves something to really be desired, in comparison. I grew up in northeast PA., a 5lb. trout around here is a lunker, a 10lb'er is huge-,and very rare. In reality, their is only 2 lakes in my area that you can possibly get them with SOME regularity, and when i say regularity, I mean, in the 5lb. range, and they are for the most part browns, with occasional rainbows. I guess that's what happens when you go to Lake Ontario and get spoiled!  As far as LAKERS go, the lake I fish often, used to have them, and good numbers, but, oh,...jeaz,  ???,I can't remember what happened to it right at the moment, but, anyway, the deeper water lacks the oxygen to support them in the summertime. The lake is 110ft. at it's deepest, but in the summer, the oxygen only reaches down to about 35-40ft. There are some 15-20lb'ers to be had, but they come far, and few between, and are pretty much at the OTHER lake. My personal best for my area is 12lb. brown, caught off my dad's boat 9 years ago. For years my state has stocked trout(stockies), pretty much, anywhere there's water, and even though they were stockies, they put a good amount of brood fish in our waters, now-a-days, it's mostly pike-food!(6-12inchers), but needless to say 'put and take' trout don't need to be in EVERY lake and pond.  With that said, the one deeper water lake is pretty close to home, and I fish that one pretty often, although, being fairly new to icefishing(5yrs.), I never icefished it yet. Actually with our crazy weather, that's the last lake to freeze over, and many years, only the coves freeze. the other lake, I have talked to my friend a few times about possibly goin, but never got around to it, maybe this year. actually, the other lake has more, and bigger numbers of lunkers than the one close to home,... info we got from a recent servey done by pa fish commish., one of the benefits of belonging to a conservation club. As far as your lures go, I love them. I wish I had a place close to home to fish with them. I would be asking you to buy a couple off of you...Well gotto go, have a good one...SalmonRebel.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2009, 10:34 PM »
Actually the smaller beetles might work on the brns, and bows in my lake. Ever catch them on your lures Venom?

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2009, 07:11 PM »
My 2 favorites are White Flukes and white 4" Mr Twister curly tailed grubs on 1/2 oz. long shanked jig heads. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.