Author Topic: Building the new shack... (Lots of pics)  (Read 20489 times)

Offline vdub

• IceShanty Rookie
Building the new shack... (Lots of pics)
« on: Nov 29, 2008, 05:32 PM »
UPDATED PICS ON PAGE 2

Me and my buddy are building a new shack this year since our first shack, "the sky-scraper", was torn apart and burned and our second shack was stored on his uncles land and it got forclosed on and the shack went with the land.

So anyway heres some picks of the new shack being built on an old utility trailer...

The dimensions are 11 x 8.

Day 1 - 2 People

Day 2 - 2 People, 1 Willie

Day 3 - 1 Person

Day 4 - 1 Person

What you guys think

Signs your about to fall in...<br /><br /><br />i\'d say when your nipple deep and your tallwhacker is in your stomach your probablly goin in<br />

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
Re: Building the new shack... (Lots of pics)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2008, 05:36 PM »
Sweet! Always love shack building pics.

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2008, 06:03 PM »
Cool!!  Keep us updated.  I built my own shack 4 years ago and it was a blast.  Have had so much fun with it out on the lake!!

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2008, 06:08 PM »
Welcome to the Ice Shanty VDub!
Awesome Job on the shack. I am also in the process of re-building my old one (got frozen in last year :-\)

I am/did the same thing with the trailer and pull it right out on the ice. Question for ya? Is the extra floor framing to add space to your shack? I bolted the 5/8" pt ply right to the frame of my trailer and built on top of that. The reason I ask is that looks like its gonna be super heavy. Not sure where your from but be sure you've got plenty of ice for that baby ;)

My last one was 6'-6" X 8" and weighed about 1000lbs the new one will go 7' X 9' and should actually be lighter (used some different materials this time)

Be sure to post some more pics when you git' er done   ;D ;)   Hopefully I should have mine wrapped up in the next week or so ;D  I hafta say, I'm a little jealous of the workshop you have there, I am framing mine in the garage and then I'm gonna put it onto the trailer and side/finish it.

So Far...
Stripped/Re- painted Trailer

Started Framing

Offline vdub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2008, 10:09 PM »
Welcome to the Ice Shanty VDub!
Awesome Job on the shack. I am also in the process of re-building my old one (got frozen in last year :-\)

I am/did the same thing with the trailer and pull it right out on the ice. Question for ya? Is the extra floor framing to add space to your shack? I bolted the 5/8" pt ply right to the frame of my trailer and built on top of that. The reason I ask is that looks like its gonna be super heavy. Not sure where your from but be sure you've got plenty of ice for that baby ;)

My last one was 6'-6" X 8" and weighed about 1000lbs the new one will go 7' X 9' and should actually be lighter (used some different materials this time)

Be sure to post some more pics when you git' er done   ;D ;)   Hopefully I should have mine wrapped up in the next week or so ;D  I hafta say, I'm a little jealous of the workshop you have there, I am framing mine in the garage and then I'm gonna put it onto the trailer and side/finish it.

So Far...
Stripped/Re- painted Trailer
(Image removed from quote.)

Started Framing
(Image removed from quote.)

ok first off.. you dont need to use full 2x4's for your studs. Hell i made that mistake on my first shack and it was heavy as hell. rip those down into 2x2's. you use less material, saves money, lighter and it is still strong enough. my walls are 2x2's but the realistic measurement or them is 1.5x1.5" and i will be mounting some fold down bunks off of the walls.

the extra framing that i put on my trailer is for stability and prolly weighs less than on of your 8ft walls... lol. but it was built to help distribute weight on the trailor and also to add another couple feet of length and width.

Now a couple questions for you. Are you planning on taking the wheels off of your shack or are you going to leave them on. If your going to leave them on i would deffinatly build some small wood boxes and put like a galvanized ventilation tube and some insulation around it inside the box. It will help a lot. My first shack sat really high off the ice and i hated it because i hade some crappy tubes and my holes would freeze over so fast.

Im probably going to sell this ice shack in the summer and weld myself up a nice big crank down trailer  and start over again. I love building shacks and i think me and my buddy are going to start building shacks for people.

Signs your about to fall in...<br /><br /><br />i\'d say when your nipple deep and your tallwhacker is in your stomach your probablly goin in<br />

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2008, 10:31 PM »
Hey V- Dub

I see you know your stuff ;) I had a feeling the extra framing was to add floor space.

I actually am a carpenter by trade and chose to use the 2x4's because of the windows/door I am putting in. The studs are 6 to 7' tall and weigh about 3lbs each so all together the framing will only be about 75-100lbs. I also used 3-5/8" metal track for the sill/top plate.
The outside sheathing will be 1/4 ply with 1/8" luan for the inside. I'll also use 1/4" ply for the roof and then add a couple sheets of metal to weather it. ( snow slides right off).

I'm not too concerned about the weight, as it should only be between 900-1000lbs If I figured it right. We usually dont take it out unless we have a good 7-8" of ice. I only questioned the weight of yours because your trailer looks heavier?

We did rip 2x's in half for my buddies shack. On my last one I used 1-5/8" metal studsinstead of wood and insulated with 1-1/2" foamular

To answer your other questions. We don't jig out of the shack we use it for sleeping when fishing derbies etc. The tires stay right on the shack and in heavier snow, we built skis to fit with old snow mobile ski's and 6" heave gauge metal-angle. The wheels sit right in and she slides well.  We also have jack stands that sit under the corners when it sits and usually doesnt stay in one spot longer than a week or so.

I also enjoy building shacks and have done a few several different ways to suit peoples needs/ideas.
Again, Your doing a nice job---keep us posted with pics ;)
Take it Easy.... NHTF

Offline vdub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2008, 04:06 PM »
We got some more done today. we got 2 more side walls up today and the rest of the windows up. Also we started a little bit of the insulation. We used the forklift and got the wood burning stove up there and once we get that in place we are going to be putting in a nice thick firewall behind and around the shack because i dont want the walls starting on fire. And we are going to be putting it a lot closer to the walls that specified.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2008, 08:53 PM »
looking good vdub!! i got a question for ya...anbody measure the door you have to drive that thing out?   :D  i have alwasy thought of building a shack on my trailer...cant wait to see some pics of it on the ice!

Offline vdub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2008, 08:09 AM »
...anbody measure the door you have to drive that thing out?...

what do you mean??

Offline the harvester

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2008, 03:32 PM »
i think he was wondering if it will fit out the garage door on the trailer

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2008, 07:57 PM »
I always hear of "my shack froze in". wonder why folks don't screw the slides on from the inside so they can be unscrewed and left stuck there in the ice while the shack gets pulled onto new slides (skis)
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline vdub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2008, 10:44 PM »
i think he was wondering if it will fit out the garage door on the trailer

oh yeah well it will fit out the garage door. I already made sure of that. i got more pics of progress uploading them right now
PICS UPDATED

Offline vdub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2008, 05:08 PM »
Willie i thought you made your name something else. thats what alex said...
PICS UPDATED

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2008, 08:00 PM »
hey vdub, looks like you might not have crowned you roof framing hahahha i think that baby will hold water  :D

Offline vdub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2008, 08:07 PM »
hey vdub, looks like you might not have crowned you roof framing hahahha i think that baby will hold water  :D

what do you mean... I havent put the plywood or anything on the roof yet. But when were done with it there it no way that thing will leak

Offline vdub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2008, 05:14 PM »
what was it..

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2008, 05:19 PM »
i was just kiddin man  :D

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2008, 09:16 PM »
Looking Good V Dub

I like the bumper sticker ;)

Me too ;D :D

Offline vdub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2008, 08:52 PM »
what up da trout mang... you da pimp

Offline Marlin07

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They were here yesterday...
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2008, 09:11 PM »
Looking Good! Nothing better than a good old fashion hardside. I can't wait to see it done. keep up the good work and good luck in the up and coming season.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2008, 10:38 AM »
Just out of curiousity, I am trying to convince the wife that I should build something like that. (I am on a roll... I am getting a new FL-20 Vex, a new pair of LaCrosse Ice King boots, and a pair of Ice Armour gloves) How do you keep someone from hitching it up to thier ATV and runnin off with it while you aren't there? Or is it not a "permanant" shack for you?

Thanks,
Dave   :icefish:

Offline Jigs_n_

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2008, 11:56 AM »
Just out of curiousity, I am trying to convince the wife that I should build something like that. (I am on a roll... I am getting a new FL-20 Vex, a new pair of LaCrosse Ice King boots, and a pair of Ice Armour gloves) How do you keep someone from hitching it up to thier ATV and runnin off with it while you aren't there? Or is it not a "permanant" shack for you?

Thanks,
Dave   :icefish:

we jack it up and take the tires off, and then we lower it down onto wood blocks
Im cool..Im cool.. F*** that.. Lets get the day started!!

Offline vdub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2008, 09:54 AM »
yeah if somebody really wants to steal it they will have some work ahead of them...  ;D

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2008, 01:26 PM »
i will jsut be using a master tongue lock.  it fits in teh coupler where the ball goes, and then locks in place.  very slick, and not too spendy. they also come in packages that have the coupler lock, a lock that holds the coupler lever down, and a lock that holds your hitch in your recevier on the truck.  all key alike for around 50 bucks.
eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline vdub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2008, 06:07 PM »
yeah but still if someone wants to steal it there is always a bolt cutter that will take that lock off in like 2 seconds ::)

Offline vdub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2008, 11:17 AM »
Here some pics as of some work done today and yesterday..

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2008, 11:36 AM »
Nice Shack! You definately have a sweet set up.  Great tools and work area.  It helps.  Now you just have to find some fish!

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2008, 12:09 PM »
Sweet Rig.....Must be nice to have a shop like that.....

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
« Reply #28 on: Dec 09, 2008, 12:31 PM »
Wow man thats pretty sweet...Can we see some pics of it on the ice when its done???

Offline vdub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 09, 2008, 01:34 PM »
oh yeha. it will be done soon. I will deffinatly get some pics of it on the ice. I plan on putting out next week, probly on like tuesday.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.