Author Topic: Towing a Clam 5600  (Read 14278 times)

Offline cporter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Towing a Clam 5600
« on: Oct 31, 2008, 08:12 AM »
Any sled ideas for a clam 5600? Last season I made a sled from 2x4's and conduit. It worked great! Almost effortless to pull. This year I bought a Skidoo Formula STX 583 to pull my gear. I don't think the conduit will hold up to well behind the Skidoo. I'd like to be able to ride from my home in Mayfield to the Sacandaga or Mayfield lake. The conduit sled works great on the lake but on a trail I think it will get destroyed.

Last years sled

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Towing a Clam 5600
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2008, 03:17 PM »
  I have the 6800, bought a Jet Sled XL , put eye bolts on all 4 corners and use 4 short bungees, holds the shack well, auger gear and heater fit in the sled. I tow it with a sled and quad.
Jim K.

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2008, 02:08 AM »
We made one out of aluminum last year... 3 cross counrty skis bungie everything on and take off worked great for us

Offline Doug D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2008, 05:45 PM »
I have  a 5600 and strap it to the top of  a jet sled and it pulls great. Last year I tried to pull a set-up exatly like the picture you posted tote and 5 gal bucket and all behind my snowmobile and it pulled great on the lake but seemed a bit top heavy on the trail leading to the lake. I have pulled my 5600 on my jet sled by hand many times and it pulls almost effortlessly over hard pack but pulls real hard through powder.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2008, 08:06 PM »
CPorter... Thanks for the pics. I have been looking and looking for something to pull my Clam on. I will be gathering up parts and building it tomorrow. I am going to extend out the 2x4's a little bit (about a foot) and build a 3' wide box that I can set (3) 5 gallon buckets into. I will post pics when it is done.

Dave

Offline cporter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2008, 11:19 AM »
CPorter... Thanks for the pics. I have been looking and looking for something to pull my Clam on. I will be gathering up parts and building it tomorrow. I am going to extend out the 2x4's a little bit (about a foot) and build a 3' wide box that I can set (3) 5 gallon buckets into. I will post pics when it is done.

Dave

Sounds like a good plan. If you use conduit for the skis you'll really like how it pulls. I wanted to put a bucket
holder on mine but I have to fit it all in the back of my Cherokee. With the clam, sled, and all my gear it get kinda tight back there.

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2008, 11:21 PM »
Any solid platform that you can build with skis or runners on the bottom with work.  The 5600 is a great tent, but absolutely sucks when pulled across powder or anyting not packed  or smooth.  I rigged up a contraption for mine using some old skis.  It worked good, but was just one more thing to pack into the car..  I usually leave the thing home now...  of course, if I had a bigger car....

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2008, 05:31 AM »
So what size conduit did you use? I ended up using 1 inch, but that's just what I had. As soon as it's warmer than -11 I will get some pics to post!! Mine turned out to be 76 1/2" Long and I have a 78" bed in the truck, it'll be good for me. A Little wider than yours, but since I have the room, it'll be worth that too.....  :-)

Dave

Offline cporter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:58 AM »
So what size conduit did you use? I ended up using 1 inch, but that's just what I had. As soon as it's warmer than -11 I will get some pics to post!! Mine turned out to be 76 1/2" Long and I have a 78" bed in the truck, it'll be good for me. A Little wider than yours, but since I have the room, it'll be worth that too.....  :-)

Dave

I think I used either 1/2 or 3/4, either way it pulls great. I built it so the clam would just fit inside the 2x4 frame.

Offline windflag77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Live for Ice Fishing
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2008, 09:01 AM »
I have a clam 6800 and was thinking about getting a jet sled xl to hauld all my gear with my clam on top. the only problem is i can't haul a friend like i could with a dogsled. anybody have a ta sled set up so they can haul a shack, all their gear such as hearter, chairs, and auger as well as a friend standing up on a tag sled? my sled is and arictic cat zl 800 and the suspension will not hold 2 people. any suggestions?
FLAAAAG!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mrpike2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2008, 06:05 AM »
how would pvc pipe work instead of conduit ?

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:53 PM »
how would pvc pipe work instead of conduit ?

I would think it would break too easily. The colder is gets, the easier it breaks. Especially tweeking the frame as your loading the 5600 on there, and pulling it over uneven ground. I bet it wouldn't make it through the season.

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:22 PM »
I don't have the clam but pull my Shappell bungy corded down to the top of my jet sled.  1X4s bolted across the sled with just enough room in back to have the auger stick out.........have to remove the shanty to remove auger, its that secure...........6 eye bolts, one on the end of each 1X4 then one in the front and one in the back of the jet sled just for extra security...........I made the ropes shorter and then attached them to the bottom of the drop rack basket with a piece of 1X4 on each side of the bottom of the basket.  Shorter ropes and when you stop the sled can't hit the tires................I now have a pair of Kolpin ratchet gun grips on the front rack that now hold my auger..........works for me............been across the lake going 45 mph one time just to check, everything stayed real secure..........

Offline shroom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2011, 03:34 PM »
i like what i seen. now are the edges the 2.4? and was the conduit the ceoss members. Not sure how you went about doing this, but the basic pic is great. I will make a bucket holder. I was also considering something for the power auger. 

Offline shroom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2011, 03:39 PM »
okay the conduit is the ski's. hmmmmmmm, probally lighter then ski's?. what about deeper snow??. The more i look the better i like. What about cross suppoert? 2x4 again. Want to keep this light as possible
[email protected]

Offline cporter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2011, 05:02 PM »
okay the conduit is the ski's. hmmmmmmm, probally lighter then ski's?. what about deeper snow??. The more i look the better i like. What about cross suppoert? 2x4 again. Want to keep this light as possible
[email protected]

As long as the snow is soft, the conduit works great.  It cuts through to the ice and can be very easy to pull. I first tried to build one with skis, it sucked, conduit works so much better.  I have a 2x4 in the middle for cross support, its not too heavy, I can easily lift it over my head to put it on the roof of my Cherokee.  Definitely worth building. Cheap to, especially  if you can borrow a conduit bender. :thumbsup: 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.