The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: jet sled how do you guys hook it to ur sled,,,,  (Read 9363 times)

Offline 2000arcticcat

• IceShanty Rookie
jet sled how do you guys hook it to ur sled,,,,
« on: Oct 24, 2008, 08:51 PM »
hey herd ya got first snow congrats,,,,,well last nite was the first night below freezing for central ct area,,,,,,,,,,any who i bought a jetsled hitch thing with the metal arms that hook to the sled,,, how does everyone hook it to the sled  i cant seem to figure a good way to make the connection with out hacking it on there,,,,,, btw the sled is a 2000 cat zl500,,,,                  thanks

Offline macdaddyaxe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • live to fish and fish to live
Re: jet sled how do you guys hook it to ur sled,,,,
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2008, 10:10 PM »
you need a hitch on your sled . if you dont have one you can buy that mounts on your rear bumper for short money. any sled dealer should have one

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2008, 05:30 AM »
hey herd ya got first snow congrats,,,,,well last nite was the first night below freezing for central ct area,,,,,,,,,,any who i bought a jetsled hitch thing with the metal arms that hook to the sled,,, how does everyone hook it to the sled  i cant seem to figure a good way to make the connection with out hacking it on there,,,,,, btw the sled is a 2000 cat zl500,,,,                  thanks

If you don't feel like drilling holes in your sled, just take a piece of nylon strapping and double it around the bar.  Make the tag end long enough to place two s.s. washers each side of the end and large enough to accomodate the jet sled cotter pin.  Drill though both washers, mount with a couple of small bolts and lock washers.  Wouldn't reccomend for a heavy metal dogsled but fine for a jet sled.  :tipup:

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2008, 08:14 AM »
The answer to your problems lies in ALASKANSS. He's the expert on anything to do with sleds & wheelers.
 ;) ;)
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2008, 08:57 AM »
get the hitch  cheap  and safer   no run away sleds  or damaged sled
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2008, 12:27 PM »
get the hitch  cheap  and safer   no run away sleds  or damaged sled

im putting a hitch on my arctic cat today...just need to go to the hardware store to get some carriage bolts...also put a towbar on my jet sled...will post pics and how it came out later!  wish me luck!  :)

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2008, 07:09 PM »
I put a pieco of scrap mahogany I had laying around in the garage and ripped it down to 1 x 2 and through bolted it across the inside with lg eye bolts and washers. The I hook the hitch to that. Has been tested hard. It WILL hold!
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2008, 07:09 PM »
im putting a hitch on my arctic cat today...just need to go to the hardware store to get some carriage bolts...also put a towbar on my jet sled...will post pics and how it came out later!  wish me luck!  :)

If you already bought the tow bar my info is too late but... I got a tow harness that they use for water skiers with the pully wheel in the center. It's light, and most of all it's very flexible on uneven ground, keeps the sled straight and turns better than my tow bar I used before.
 ;)
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2008, 09:28 PM »
actually bob i had an old bracket that used to hold a metalbestos chimney to a roof that i reshingled

started to put the hitch on my arctic cat and found a little corosion around the studs for the seat so i decided to wire brush it and hit it with a little rustoleum

lined up my bracket which was made from stainless steel by a friend.he also made a plate to act as a big washer on the bottom side. then i drilled the holes in my chassis making sure to stay clear of my heat exchange piping inder the seat

still need to go get some carriage bolts before i can finish...tomorrow is another day  :D

Offline 2000arcticcat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2008, 11:32 PM »
thanks for the info i think im gonna do what one guy said just go to the cat dealer and buy a hitch for my sled this way i know its correct and i wont have to hack anything,,,,,took the suspension out today and replaced the wheels/rollers,bearings,slides and bump tops now its ready to go back in the cat,,,

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2008, 05:17 AM »
there is a universal mount that clamps onto the bumper bar that works good and easy to install
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2008, 08:46 AM »
I use my 4 wheeler to haul my sled around and the trouble I have is when the brackets get caught in my rear wheels. I need to put a cross brace so that it will hit the axel before it goes into the wheel. Either that or a piece of chain tied to the axel so that it can only travel so far to the right or left. It's really bad on smooth ice when the wind blows and you have to slow down.
Steve

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2008, 02:18 PM »
actually bob i had an old bracket that used to hold a metalbestos chimney to a roof that i reshingled

(Image removed from quote.)

started to put the hitch on my arctic cat and found a little corosion around the studs for the seat so i decided to wire brush it and hit it with a little rustoleum

lined up my bracket which was made from stainless steel by a friend.he also made a plate to act as a big washer on the bottom side. then i drilled the holes in my chassis making sure to stay clear of my heat exchange piping inder the seat

still need to go get some carriage bolts before i can finish...tomorrow is another day  :D

You've done a lot of work Scotty. I bent the daylights out of my regular tow bar, so I converted to the pulley system. The only disadvantage is that the sled won't stop on clear ice but that's not a big deal ( unless Buddah is driving!)
Here's what I use.

Man To Man Is So Unjust,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2008, 03:16 PM »
I use a rope with heavy PVC pipe over it to prevent the sled from rearending my wheeler. It is nice because it flexible and there is nothing to bend and break. It looks like the picture above this post, only the rope that makes up the main "V" is slipped through pipe. I tie a loop knot in the end and use a big snap hook to hitch it ti my wheeler.

Offline SALMON SLAYER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 27, 2008, 07:11 PM »
I BOUGHT THE UNIVERSAL MOUNT WHAT A MISTAKE WOULD NOT WORK ON MY SLED, I LIKE THE IDEA OF THE SKI ROPE I MAY USE IT IF YOU DONT HAVE PATENT RIGHTS ON IT.  :)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2008, 05:16 PM »

You can see how I set it up in this pic. It works pretty good and costs next to nothing. The bonus is there nothing to rust or get bent up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.