Author Topic: Pop-Up Camper conversion  (Read 99279 times)

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
Pop-Up Camper conversion
« on: Oct 05, 2008, 06:17 PM »
 I bought a pop-up camper today, mostly for the trailer frame. However, my wife (bless her heart) mentions that "Hey, maybe instead of building a hard side from scratch, you could modify this thing instead."
 So, I says to myself, "Self, your wife not only has impeccable taste when it came to picking a husband, but she has a d**n fine idea there!"

SO, anyway, anybody ever try this or know someone who has? I'm thinking about gutting the interior except for the bench seats, leaving only exterior walls. Then remove the canvas, replace with hinged plywood that I can flip up after cranking the top up, with a couple of braces to hold it in place after it is up. Plus some corner pieces to be put up after the sides are in place to block corner gaps.

OR should I stay with the original idea and make it a flatbed to haul by Fish Trap and ATV?

Ideas and input welcome... er needed.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pop-Up Camper conversion
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2008, 06:44 PM »
I actually, as I type, have an ad on freecycle looking for a pop up to do the same to. Only requirements- has to be able to pop-up, and a heater. I am thinking, pop it up, rip bunks out, and side canvas and put up some plywood. Number the plywood sheets and put corresponding numbers on the camper, so it can be towed in the lowered position. Cut holes on floor, make sleeves to slide into holes to prevent cold air from getting in. I would probably pull out the galley as well. I own a pop-up we use as a camper, so I got some ideas from having it set up camping in it. The heater thing I might be able to get around, and just use the big buddy, but I would rather use the heater in it. I plan on once I get it to my spot to set it up and leave it until its time to pull it off the lake.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2008, 04:57 PM »
Pop-up behind the truck, loaded with the equipment, ATV in the truck bed(or on top of the pop-up's reinforced roof). Sounds like an easy and quick unload at the landing.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2008, 10:30 AM »
Eh, I've decided to scrap the Pop up shanty idea and just scrap the whole thing down to a flatbed trailer. Too much work, not enough time.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2008, 11:27 AM »
Heres our shack.  For under 300 bucks.  If I was you id eliminate the canvas popup part.  And run metal studs and or 2x2sticks up and wrap that in steel siding.  With foam board and paneling on the inside.  I would guess you could do this for around 400 bucks.  Ive seen some ex popups before converted like that and they were slick.

Exterior....

Cmon in and have an old mill why doncha? 8)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2008, 12:30 PM »
I converted a popup and used it for about 8 years. I put studs where the canvas was, used 4x8 siding on the outside, insulated it with 1 1/2" foam board and paneled the inside. I built a pipe and canvas bunk in each end that would stow against the wall. I left the three burner stove and cabinet in the original position and added a cabinet from a camper near the ceiling. I also had a vertical type propane heater installed that took up very little room. I bought a wheel house three years ago and gave the  conversion to my nephews and they love fishing out of it. I also helped a friend convert one last fall and it is working out great for him.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2008, 08:49 PM »

this worked for us last year for tourneys...we used the metal siding for walls and roof and used that "great stuff" expanding foam to fill in all the cracks...this year ( if we get to it ) we're gonna insulate it and panel it.....
we cut 3 holes in the floor and just use buckets as sleves........the mr. heater works great to heat it...

the only downsides have been , we didnt build the roof on any kind of angle so the snow on top doesnt slide off and once you heat it up enough , it melts and leaks..

i also have an ad on our local freecycle site looking for another "freebie" to try to get it right next time...
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2008, 08:53 PM »
EDFALC- thats what I was going to do, but only use the pop-ups roof as well, did  you consider that, and if so- what changed your mind?

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2008, 08:55 PM »
Wish we got the ice to use a shanty like that.   I'd never leave !!

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2008, 01:13 PM »
Man that pop up looks better than the one I just sold.  That is what I would do if I lived somewhere the ice last a little while.  For the roof though,  if you use the original,  get some of that rubberized roll on roof coating and put two or three coats.  That is what I did with my pop up and it never leaked.
<br />

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2008, 10:26 AM »
looks good guys... ive seen a couple pretty slick pop-up conversions on craigslist... so i can imagin that it might not be that hard. 

but..... if you start from the frame, you know exactly what your dealing with and dont have to get creative to make somethign fit to the existing walls.  might cost a little more, but could be simpler.  thats what i did/am doing.  it was frame from a hardside camper, but i started from just the naked, flat frame.  i think it made it simpler.  especially considering i am not an expert in building at all.  it was a major learning experience.
eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline Fishback

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-CE!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2008, 10:46 AM »
Be careful when you're removing the 4 actuators from the corners. They make the pop-up go up and down. They are spring-loaded and under a lot of pressure.

A friend of mine was tearing his apart to use the frame to make a trailer and one of those things let go and knocked him out. It actually gave him a concusion. It hit'em right in the face and he almost lost and eye. Banged him up pretty good.

Oh....and put a coat on. You're gonna catch a pneumonia    :P

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2008, 11:45 AM »
Crappiebuster:  Nice work on the curtains..... ;)
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2008, 07:09 PM »
Original Equipment from 1968 when she was built.  Still has the original build sheet in it shes decked out every available option for 1968.  Shasta Loweflite.  Its the way to fly 8)

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2008, 08:16 PM »
How is it to fish out of?  I've often thought a camper would make a great house, but have never fished out of one.  Is it tough to get the fish up thru the sleeves? 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2008, 10:16 AM »
Nope we use light colored 5 gallon buckets with the bottoms cut out.  They slide in nice and tight and the light color allows sunlight thru the bucket to see your rig.  We are about 7 inches off the ice so its nice and low hence the name of the camper Shasta Low-Flite.  Its a deluxe setup. :D

Offline DonnyDbar1969

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2018, 12:54 AM »

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2018, 05:33 PM »
I have built 3 or four of them for myself or family I love them
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2019, 02:36 PM »
I will add to this thread . I bought a pop - up camper on Craigslist for $125. Trailer , frame and lights all good for the ride home. Someone before me had already made it a ice shanty out of crappy particle board. I ripped out all the rotted wood and started over. I know a guy in the garage door business. Over a year I scrounged enough insulated door panels to use for walls. I cut in some round catch covers for jig holes. I made a cooking station , table and storage shelves. It has a wood stove and the fridge box makes for wood storage. It was a fun build and it is easy to move as long if there isn’t much snow.

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2019, 02:40 PM »

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2019, 03:16 PM »
A lot of my best times on the ice and deer hunting were spent in my converted pop up camper. I spent many more days and nights in it than I have or will in my wheel house.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2019, 04:01 PM »
Boy they all look great guys. If I had one of these here in pa I wouldn't come home. I would probally be divorced! Lol ;D

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 22, 2019, 02:28 PM »
I was wondering if there are any new conversions for this year? Every year this time I get the itch to get a wheelhouse but I am far from the budget of actually purchasing an ice castle (even used) or its equivalent. I see all kinds of pop up campers for dirt cheap (between $200 - $1000 asking prices) in various shapes that don't look like they'd be too hard to convert. I thought a guy could probably come in under $2k for something decent and cozy? Just looking if there are any more pictures of converted pop up?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #23 on: Oct 22, 2019, 04:25 PM »
I haven't used my wheel house for several years since I don't think going alone at my age (76) is a good idea. I like to go for several days when I do manage to get out. My son is married with young kids now and doesn't ice fish much anymore. I love fishing in it, but I guess it is time to give it another home. When I get it out of storage this fall it will be for sale. One of the saddest decisions I have ever had to make.  :(

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 29, 2019, 08:47 PM »
I built my wheelhouse on a pop up frame.  I stripped it down to the bare frame and built it from scratch.

"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2019, 01:13 PM »
I have built a couple and they work great I always have used the bottom half the have been in solid shape.

I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.