Author Topic: Duck Doctor's custom Auger Rack (pics)  (Read 10759 times)

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Duck Doctor's custom Auger Rack (pics)
« on: Sep 12, 2008, 07:13 AM »
Many of you have asked about this custom auger rack that my father fabricated for me last winter. It is made of of T6061 aluminum and is very light. I do a lot of trail riding and wanted a rack that was removable. I got the initial idea after talking with Out4Trout out of Maine. He sent me pics of the racks that are on Dave Genz's sled. I did not want a front auger mount like the ones on their sleds though.  There is absolutely no holes drilled in my sled for mounting this rack.  It is bolted on using two machine screws that sandwich to my rack on the sled.  My auger rack did not loosen up until the very last trip of the season. I held the auger down with bungee cords and was able to ride at 40mph comfortably without any bounce from the auger. 60mph in the drifts was a bit much but it did stay put.  I would like to do a little more to the auger rack to make it even more rugged this fall.

If you have any questions, fire them at me or Longbeardking on the New Hampshire board. He is my father and is a tool and die maker. I think he saved all the specs!

Enjoy!

Removed:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Duck Doctor's custom Auger Rack (pics)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2008, 02:14 PM »
Nothin but class duck doctor and I see you have the Cadillac of augers also. Let the flames begin.   :whistle: >:D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2008, 02:22 PM »
Dude that thing is toatlly B.A.--and, i have to say:

NICE RACK!!!!!!!!

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2008, 02:29 PM »
Nothin but class duck doctor and I see you have the Cadillac of augers also. Let the flames begin.   :whistle: >:D
hmmm   seems to be a puddle of gas leaking   wouldnt have that with an Icegator!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2008, 04:29 PM »
nice rack!

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2008, 09:10 PM »
hmmm   seems to be a puddle of gas leaking   wouldnt have that with an Icegator!
leave it to you hazzy to find the hole in the snow from a gas drip

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2008, 09:29 PM »
This got me thinking. If a person had access to a couple of transom savers, they could use those a starting point. Mine has a rounded end for the roller.  Cut the other(motor end) off and start fabbing something up from that. You would want to get these used as they run about $20 a piece.  But pick them up on a garage sale or something and you are started.  I do not have a sled or 4 wheeler, so I don't know how that would work but it sure sounded good. Nice job with the rack. Nothing but options for everyone.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2008, 06:33 PM »
Which pic has the gas leak showing?  I can tell you that there is not a gas leak from the auger on the rack. If you look, the gas cap up high and I put less than a half a tank in the auger. On top of that, the vent screw gets closed whenever it is on it's side.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2008, 06:54 PM »
Which pic has the gas leak showing?  I can tell you that there is not a gas leak from the auger on the rack. If you look, the gas cap up high and I put less than a half a tank in the auger. On top of that, the vent screw gets closed whenever it is on it's side.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Hard stuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2008, 10:09 PM »

Who cares !

The thread is about a auger rack , not the auger . :-*

DD , BTW it looks Great !

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Sep 19, 2008, 07:23 AM »
LOL gotcha! lol    :roflmao:

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 19, 2008, 07:49 AM »
LOL gotcha! lol    :roflmao:

Well, I have to admit, I was a little heated! You know I looked at those pics for almost an hour and never found a leak!  LOL!

Offline Hard stuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 19, 2008, 10:22 AM »
This is the perfect example of how a auger rack should be . The supporting of the power head / motor is crucial .A lot of guys will carry there auger by just having the drill end in the rack / yokes . The motor is heavy , causing it to stress and fatigue the main  shaft  bearing and it will eventually end up in  ruining gearbox and bearings .  total failure  :embarassed:

DD , very nice work . I will be using this as a model for the rack I will be making soon .

Later,
Bryan

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Sep 19, 2008, 08:10 PM »
You really like that Icegator, hey Hazzy
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline valleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2008, 12:38 AM »
This is the perfect example of how a auger rack should be . The supporting of the power head / motor is crucial .A lot of guys will carry there auger by just having the drill end in the rack / yokes . The motor is heavy , causing it to stress and fatigue the main  shaft  bearing and it will eventually end up in  ruining gearbox and bearings .  total failure  :embarassed:

DD , very nice work . I will be using this as a model for the rack I will be making soon .

Later,
Bryan

Bryan this is the best design I have seen yet for an auger attachment on a sled.  However when I look at the back end of his sled and yours he has more hardware to attach to. That attachment bracket is pretty ingenious.  When ever I get some time on a weekend I am wondering if I could come down with the ATV and do some mods for this winter season.  I'll call you sometime this weekend!
'Carpe Diem' does not mean 'Fish of the Day'

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Sep 20, 2008, 08:19 AM »
You really like that Icegator, hey Hazzy
actually best thing Ive bought to date I have problems getting around anyway Really bad leg and have pulled my arm outta my socket (due to stupid mistake with the Jiffy) and hand drilling took too much outta me   When ya let off the button it stops immediately So far it has not let me down.  And after I'm done drilling for the day I have the batteries for the DVD player or TV or satellite radio After the initial investment I have 0  repeat zero operating costs

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 20, 2008, 07:57 PM »
 Nice auger rack you got there duck doctor. Now all you need is a Nils Master to put on top of the rack. ;D

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 22, 2008, 08:44 AM »
Nice auger rack you got there duck doctor. Now all you need is a Nils Master to put on top of the rack. ;D

You will never see me with anything but a jiffy!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Sep 22, 2008, 06:23 PM »
So Doc, when are you gonna get a pattent on that rack and start to sell them in the for sale thread? Better hurry up with those pics posted someone might steal your thunder. Some people have no care for others.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 22, 2008, 07:51 PM »
So Doc, when are you gonna get a pattent on that rack and start to sell them in the for sale thread? Better hurry up with those pics posted someone might steal your thunder. Some people have no care for others.

by all means.....they can have them. This was a design that my father and I both worked on together.  There will only be 1 of these racks made by my father.....all the rest are just not the same!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Sep 22, 2008, 08:20 PM »
True, the first one is always the most important.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2009, 08:39 AM »
actually best thing Ive bought to date I have problems getting around anyway Really bad leg and have pulled my arm outta my socket (due to stupid mistake with the Jiffy) and hand drilling took too much outta me   When ya let off the button it stops immediately So far it has not let me down.  And after I'm done drilling for the day I have the batteries for the DVD player or TV or satellite radio After the initial investment I have 0  repeat zero operating costs

you use solar or wind power to recharge those batteries?

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:49 AM »
you use solar or wind power to recharge those batteries?
solar  or plug em into the truck cig lighter port

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2009, 10:09 AM »
That is one sweet setup and one sweet ride.  Very nice!
;

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2009, 11:34 AM »
well they are nice....when they get the weight down some I might be interested.....Still pull by hand a lot so the weight addition is a back killer.....until then my gas works just dandy......

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2009, 07:25 AM »
Beauty work on the auger rack. Quite the workmanship. I like the pins for easy on off.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2010, 03:17 PM »
Just wondering DD, does your sled get a little "light" up front when she's fully loaded loaded and you give her the gas?  ;)

MD

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:36 PM »
It only gets light when I put it to the bars then it rides a wheelie and levels out!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.