Author Topic: Jiggin Rapala's  (Read 3628 times)

Offline lawnguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Jiggin Rapala's
« on: Jan 22, 2004, 12:21 PM »
I don't own any and would like to purchase a few to have.  Any color or size recomendations to start out with?
Saftey First!!

PIKEGUY

Re:Jiggin Rapala's
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2004, 12:29 PM »
I personally have always liked Perch colored Rap's. That is for Northerns though. Don't know about walleyes. Size...depends on the fish.  Good Luck    :'(

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2004, 01:16 PM »
they are too expensive for my taste, they work good but other things work as good or better and are less expensive. my 2 cents

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2004, 02:10 PM »
i used the small ones for perch tipped with spikes, the colors i have are blue, white+chartuse
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2004, 02:11 PM »
also i use the large jointed ones in the summer for bass and pike
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline love2fishnhuntNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2004, 02:51 PM »
i caught a nice rainbow yesterday on a med. size rapala, pretty sweet

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2004, 04:13 PM »
I just started jigging and have used the rapala model as well as some others. Have caught crappie perch and pickeral on these type they seem to work well. I also apply a little smelly jelly scent seems to help. :'(

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline outdoorwally

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2004, 07:28 PM »
There is an awesome article on jigging rapalas in the december edition of In-Fisherman.You've gotta check it out.

Dark_Cloud

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2004, 08:16 PM »
LaunGuy - They are definatly worth the money. Size 2s work great for perch and crappies. I like to tip each hook on the trebel with a spike. Firetiger is my favorite when searching or any lake where baby perch are a normal meal. The more natural gold and silvers are a good bet too.
Size 3s and 5s are a great walleye producer. Tip the trebel with a minnow head.
As far as fishing them - I like to rip em around if nothings on the vex. When someone shows up slow things down to a small nod, just enough that the trebel with bait flops around. Also try pulling it slowly away from an aproaching fish, this seems to trigger em also.

JIMMY FISHTRAP

« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2004, 10:18 PM »
Pearch,black and gold,or black and silver work for me.

Offline g3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • life is good!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2004, 03:25 AM »
 8)i too like just pulling them away when they come to take a look at it,seems to p$%^ them off and they usually take it.

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2004, 07:05 AM »
DARK CLOUD hit it right on the head :  
no.2 bla/silv-bla/gold-perch-firetig; work well for gills,perch,crappie even occasionally walleye:
no3. in the same colors for perch , crappie walleye
no5 -same thing ,I seem to get less bites on bigger ones but better fish.
no.7no9  I use if I am in a real good walleye spot and I think the fish are active.
I tip all raps on the treble ,no.5 and larger I found work better with minnow head on treble
I have tried the fancy colored ones but haven't done well, so I follow my gramps:[ rule and match the hatch]!
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ottawa_fish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2004, 08:28 AM »
I use them mostly for deep jigging. Natural colors such as
white and black/silver work best for me. They are very easy
to overwork. I try to avoid sharp lifts and keep a pause
between movements on a longer side.

DipLip

« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2004, 09:18 AM »
All good tips guys! One of the true "less is more" baits to vertically jig with in winter. It don't take much to get that thing looking alive. Watch one a few feet under your hole. Even at rest they'll continue to rotate etc. Some days I jig them every 30 seconds or so, others a long sweep and slack line drop aggressively. I also 'tightline them...up and controlled slack all the way back down like a yo-yo. I'd rank them as easy top-3 for me on northerns. Largest size, silver blue, silver chart, perch and firetiger in no particular order. I change out the treble and upsize it. Smelt head for pike, perch eye on the little baits for panfish or walleyes. You can get away with a leader on them for pike, which I really like too.

Their wide travel arc also makes them awesome for snaggin up lost items!! Saved a perch rod for me in Dec!!

nuke1neil

« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2004, 11:33 AM »
If I had to pick one lure to fish with I think it would be a jigging rapala.Nothing else I've ever fished with has been as productive for perch and bass.The swedish pimple would be a not too far second choice.Only problem with the rap.is if your fishing where there's alot of chain pickerel it can get expensive getting sawed off.Does anybody have any luck not loosing them under those situations?I don't know if you would still catch perch if you had a real thin steel leader on.

Offline mark mercer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2004, 12:05 PM »
ok boys heres a good old jersey secret, a shark truse green jiggin rapala works really well for perch and pickeral. also if u care durin the non ice season i have had my best luck with shark truse rapalas. only thing is around here they are almost impossible to find. i found a bunch up in pulaski ny while salmon fishin and spent like 24 bucks on them well worth it if u ask me though.

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2004, 12:43 PM »
All good tips and suggestions. One thing that I do that no one mentioned is to use a small snap of some kind on the end of the line. I believe (my opnion) that it gives the rapala a better "rocking" motion.
Also Mark, if you cannot find the color raps that you want, go to any hobby store and buy a small can of spray paint in the color you want, take the bottom hook off and spray it. I also put a piece of tape over the end hooks also.

Fishinfreak

« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2004, 03:40 PM »
What i do is tie a white or pearl colored bead to the bottom treble.Perch love it.

Offline ice725

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2004, 07:08 PM »
if its perch your after get the smallest perch jigging rapala they make- it is awesome. :'( :'(

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2004, 08:47 PM »
Fishinfreak,
Do you tie the white bead on the shank of the hook or below it? Thanks.

Fishinfreak

« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2004, 11:38 AM »
I tie it tight to the bottom of the treble.Don`t want it to get in way of hook points.Good luck and let us know .

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2004, 03:02 PM »
If anyone knows where I can get some W-7 in parrot drop me a Instant Message.
               TIA
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2004, 03:53 PM »
4.79 at buyfishingstuff.com ;D
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline Shaggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2004, 07:30 PM »
I like the black/silver medium minnow with a shiner head on the middle trebble hook

raleigh

Re: Jiggin Rapala's
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2004, 09:20 PM »
I like to use a small rainbow colored one and i put half a night crawler on the trebble hook and than connect it to the front single hook. I have good luck jigging rapalas for rainbows and browns that way.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2004, 08:07 PM »
Water color makes the difference, and time of day as well.  Example chartuse if the water is clear, red and gold if the waters muddy, perch colored if they are found in the lake, glow in the dark at night, go figure, but power it up with a flash light every ten minutes on a new moon night.  But the biggest tip for walleye is cut the minnow in half put the head on the front and tail on the back hook, and change the minnow every 30 minutes makes a difference on the slow days. 

Leave some for me. 
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2004, 04:41 PM »
I use the med brown and white one and dress it with the head of a dead minnow and jig for Bass and Northerns with it while setting 2 tip ups. Generally outfishes my tip ups baited with similar minnow or shiner but that may be becuase I tend to move around more with it? ;)
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.