Author Topic: aqua-view underwater camera  (Read 6508 times)

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
aqua-view underwater camera
« on: Jan 18, 2004, 08:02 PM »
hey there fellow ice-fisherman. Does anyone out there have an aqua-view underwater camera. Mine is only three years old and has been nothing but a head-ache. It has been sent in twice for fried monitors. When it works it's the best thing since sliced bread but when it acts up I have a few choice words to say. Has anyone had any problems with theirs??? P.S I baby this thing!!!
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:aqua-view underwater camera
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2004, 08:12 PM »
well first off bought mine this november the battery is junk took 4 days to finannally bring it up too charge  and it still only lasts 1-2 hours if that sometimes
second when its cold out the camera sucks because the monitor just shows a bunch of lines on it but if i tap the camera then it works just fine and dont leave the camera wire in the monitor because if it hits anything it will rip the plastic connector/nut right out of the monitor

um when more things happen to mine or my buddies ill let you know LOL

still when i use it for that 1-2 hours its the best thing to watch the fishies
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

superhooperduty

« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2004, 11:43 PM »
and i was gonna buy one,  but seriously, are there really that many problems with these things?  how much to have the picture tube (maybe thats not the right name for it) replaced and how long should it last?  my wife bought me a top of the line eagle  , what a piece of junk to the shop first time i used it, my old hummin' bird lasted for 10 yrs

Phishhead

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2004, 01:46 AM »
I was just on the lake last week and the guy next to me had one.  It was pretty cool.  We watch the bottom of the lake (nothing of what I thought), saw a sunken' boat (like off the Discoverey channel) saw bass and bluegill swim by all day.

This tool can take your Phishing to the next level.  

I am soooo sorry to hear that this product has given yall so much trouble.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2004, 04:06 AM »
Like anything else, I think I'll wait 5 years to get one. Givin em time to work out the problems.  Even then, I'd bring out 4 batteries. I'm not speding hundreds to watch fish-tv for one or two hours a day. >:(
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2004, 05:14 AM »
Wow thanks for the updates was gonna buy one next month. Now will look at Atlantis they also make an underwater camera anyone use one of these before i shell out the cash.  :'(

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

missfishylicious

« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2004, 08:30 AM »
yep have to admit it's not the greatest black and white picture makes it a little hard to tell what your seeing and mine when i let it down deeper than say 20' it goes to all little black line and wont quit till I haul it back up as soon as it hits the air the picture clears then i can let back down and it's fine it's also kind of heavy and I don't bring it most trips.but it is kind of cool to look under the water and you can hook it to video camera with a video in port and record fish if your into gadgets you'll like it if not you won't there thats my 222 cent on that  ;D

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2004, 08:36 AM »
I've had an Aqua-Vu for three years and no problems. We did replace the battery this year. What a great asset to have on the ice. I show guys I meet what/where they have set their tip-up and they can't believe what they're seeing. People can specualte about the "structure" their fishing.......I KNOW what I'm fishing. It;s not only cool to see the fish but better yet, I use it to locate structure, weeds, drop offs. Example: let's say you're fishing 20' of water. You sound the hole @ 20'. Then you postion you line depth @ 3' above the bottom, or @ 17'. Little do you knw that there is 5' of weeds and your  bait is in 2' of them. It let's you put your bait where it needs to be. I know guys with a vexilars and they have their purpose on HUGE lakes where you have to run and gun for fish. I personally choose the Auqa-Vu.

grumpymoe

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2004, 09:49 AM »
i really enjoy NO fish t.v. i dont mind using a fish locator for deep water species such as lake trout, but i'll be d___ed if i'm going to watch stubborn fish that will, or wont bite. takes all the fun out of it as far as i'm concerned. where's the suspense??? my wife would like one for sure, and admits that she would rather just watch whats happening below, than fish. grumpy >:(

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2004, 10:01 AM »
I've got an older model. water in my area isnt clear enuff to enjoy the viewing. I'm going to sell mine. Works great, i guess. like i said, the water clarity sucks. It's kinda heavy too. Anybody interested contact me. I'm in n/w Pa.. [email protected]

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2004, 10:12 AM »
Yah I guess some people do use it to watch fish t.v. but it's also a great way to locate structre. It also hooks directly into my digital camcorder, also tells the temp.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2004, 06:04 PM »
its also fun to watch how the fish react to the bait, and when they take it..yoink...up the hole they go for a good laugh.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2004, 07:10 PM »
 Your right on the amount of time it takes to get that initial charge. When I use my camera in a heated shack I get 8+ hrs use out of it. When it is used outside I get only half of these hours. It is however very hard to see outside. I do not use my light during the day. This also saves the battery. Thanks for your reply and Happy fishing.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2004, 07:13 PM »
Well I never discourage anyone from buying them however it seems that I have had nothing but bad luck with mine. I also baby all my fishing equipment and that is why it is so frustrating. When I replaced my monitor it cost me $190.00 plus taxes. Not cheap eh???  I also have had bad luck with my eagle fish finder. I now have a garmin locater and does it ever work well. Thanks for your reply.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2004, 07:21 PM »
[ ;D They are neat eh!!! Well I just happen to have one that was made on a fFriday or Monday. They do take you to that next level. I have even had large Pike attack mine. One day I want to hook up a camcorder to it and watch my catch of the day at night. What a life!!!

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2004, 07:23 PM »
Your probably playing it smart. My ex-girlfriend won this camera. I am glad I did not pay for it however I have had to pay for replacement monitors. That sucks but they are fun when they work. Take care.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2004, 07:24 PM »
be careful on these also. A buddy of mine bought one and guess what. Same darn problem. You know what i would do is rent one for a day and see how it works for you. You have nothing to lose right???

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2004, 07:27 PM »
hey thanks for that reply. they are cool but at times I spend more time wacthing the camera than actually fishing. The only problem I have in great depths is that the picture sometimes rolls on me. A little tap on the monitor and it starts working properly again. Mind you this last one has not acted up yet. Take care and good fishing.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2004, 07:29 PM »
Hey thanks for the reply. Your right they are cool and it sounds like you have a good one. Don't take me wrong I am not knocking their intended purpose however I just seem to have had problems with mine. Good fishing to you.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2004, 07:32 PM »
Hey now I know why you call yourself grumpy. Just kidding!!! My father said the same thing about watching the fish but I know if he tried it he would be addicted. It has come really handy at sandy Lake. It is unbeleivable the size of some of the pike. I saw one last year that had to be pushing trophy size. Rumors have it that one was caught last year. Maybe it was that one. Anyway take care grumpy!!!

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2004, 07:35 PM »
Yup you are right on that. it also startles you when a huge Pike comes along. happy fishing to you!!!

Offline lakehopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2004, 09:14 PM »
 i just got one and can say its very helpful in shallow water where a regular locator has trouble
If ya cant dazzle them with brilliance baffle um with [IMG]

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2004, 08:41 AM »
So if you take an aquaveiw out on a sunny day, and lower it down in a area of 20-25 foot bottom depth, how far can you see down?  If you rig it to look to the side, how far out would it show you? How about on a overcast morning?  Sounds good for scouting new water, but i'm interested in structure, not watching a fish hit a lure at 12" from the camera. How far do these things shoot? ???

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2004, 09:53 AM »
I am still waiting for my first problem with my aqua-vu...i have had it now for a year, and have used it extensively, and it had taken some nasty treatment...but it still works great

oh yeah, My battery lasts at least 8 hours on a full charge...i would recommend a multi-tester to test their battery charge level, instead of depending upon an indicator, or just guessing the charge.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2004, 10:15 AM »
But how far can you "see" with one of them things?  ???

Offline nocash0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2004, 11:39 AM »
with mine i can see about 10 to 15 ft.
walk the hard water side.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2004, 04:31 PM »
[ ;D hey old fart. yes i have had some major problems with mine but it does not mean they are all bad. Yesterday I went fishing and my depth was between 25-30 ft of water. the water clarity was poor and I did have problems seeing. Unless the fish was right in front of the camera I could not see anything. I also had to use the ultra-violet light. Normally anywhere down to fifteen feet I can see around 10 ft in each any direction. However I usually fish areas that have good water clarity. I find these units are hard to use outside of ice shacks and I have tried mine from the boat and was not impressed. You need to be inside. Ever try watching tv outside in the sunlight??? I think you would change your mind about wacthing the fish on a monitor. I know you state you want to use it for structure however it is very interesting when you see the way fish react to your lures and bait and what makes them hit the lure aggressively. For example one day they will only hit the lure if you jig aggressively and other times this will spook them. Overall even with the issues I have had with the monitors I am always thrilled to see what is below in the depths of any lake. Take care old fart ::)

NAD42

« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2004, 04:56 PM »
I've had my AQUA VU Z-120 for 3 years with no problems...quite the toy...try a vexilar and you'll leave the aqua vu at home...vexilar...quite the tool.

trapperdirk

« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2004, 05:19 PM »
 LOL . NAD 42 . A toy versus a tool .I still have yet to see one used before I decide whether or not to get one . These comments I have read so far here are sure  not convincing me that I have to explain the absolute need of one to the wife yet. LOL .
   I think it would be cool to watch the fish but more headaches in my extreme temps I sure don't need .

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2004, 05:35 PM »
Allready use the vex. Just thought it would be cool to punch a few holes into new water to see whats going on down there. Now I'm back on the fence. Thanks for the input, guys. It helps.  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.