Author Topic: muskies through the ice  (Read 878 times)

trapdaddy21

muskies through the ice
« on: Jan 18, 2004, 07:59 PM »
yesterday i was out jigging for eyes with a buddy when he hooked into a muskie, after about a half an hour fight we finally landed the fish through our 8" hole (without a gaff). on the lake we were fishing i know there are alot of muskies caught in the summer and fall, but this was the first i had seen in the winter. just wondering if anyone else has had the priviledge of catching a muskie through the ice.

ps; the muskie was 33" and around 12 pounds, not a bad fish to catch on a st croix premier ultra light with 4 pound line. the bait my buddy was using was a fathead.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re:muskies through the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2004, 08:03 PM »
woah that sounds like fun  not many lakes in maine with muskie in them ive only fished them openwater but congrats to your friend it must have been some fight

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2004, 08:08 PM »
ive heard stories about people catching them never actually seen one iced though  i think theres something about muskies on genereal or the pike thres that says they are really finicky or only bite at night or something
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2004, 11:59 PM »
I know of a couple people that have landed muskies this winter on tipups.  One caught at 3:00 in the afternoon and one at 4:30 in the morning.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2004, 03:45 PM »
We fish for them here in Maine through the ice and have a fair amount of luck. The action seems to get better as the winter ages.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.