Author Topic: Glue for plastic tarp  (Read 23987 times)

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
Glue for plastic tarp
« on: Mar 01, 2008, 12:22 AM »
I want to build a super light fish hut.  Something that folds up and I can haul behind me.  I have a good idea how to build it.  I plan to use plastic tarp material like the stuff that temporary car garages that people put up for the winter.  I know that I will have to join some edges of this stuff together to make seams so that I end up with the shape I want for my folding fish hut.  What I need to know is what kind of glue can I use?  I want to make the seams quite large where the folding supports come in contact with the tarp and for additional strength at the stress points.

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
Re: Glue for plastic tarp
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2008, 07:01 PM »
I tried to make a boat cover for my boat using those blue tarps . I tried every type of glue silicone, contact glue, hot glue nothing would stick finally bought the repair tape for those tarps and folded the tarp and taped the inside edge its still holding after 2 years

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2008, 09:13 PM »
You can buy a special tape for plastic tarp?  Can you give me more details?

Offline doabbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mmmm smelt...
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2008, 09:13 PM »
I know a friend of mine used Gaffers tape to seam his up.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2008, 07:44 PM »
What is "Gaffers tape" ?

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2008, 08:47 PM »
Gaffer tape, sometimes shortened to gaff tape (especially by theater and photographic professionals), or made possessive, as "gaffer's tape", is a strong, pressure-sensitive, cotton cloth adhesive tape. It is an essential, all-purpose tool on theater, film and television productions as well as live performances and any other kind of stage work.[1]

The most common use for gaffer tape is securing cables to the stage floor or other surface, either for safety or to keep them out of view of the audience or camera. Camera assistants use short strips of different colors to lay blocking markers for actors. Similarly, a narrow version of gaffer tape, called spike tape, is used in theatre productions for floor layout. It is also used whenever a quick ad-hoc fix is required, from temporarily attaching fixtures or props, to salvaging a broken piece of production equipment. In the absence of console tape or artist tape, live sound engineers may use a strip of white gaffer tape along the bottom of a mixing board, to label the channels used for a particular show.

The tape is manufactured in many colors, including fluorescent and custom colors, but the most common variety is matte black or dull grey. A matte finish keeps the tape from reflecting light so the tape blends in with the typical stage floor of a theatre.[2] It is easily torn by hand so no cutting tools are necessary. The adhesive used is a high quality synthetic rubber which leaves little or no residue when removed.[3] It usually comes in 2"-wide rolls, and the cloth composition allows a consistent tear, which means it easily tears into two 1" strips, if needed. Gaffer tape should not be compared to duct tape, a far cheaper product which does not tear cleanly and leaves a residue when removed. [4]

It is likely named for the gaffer, the head of the lighting department on a film crew. When cables are taped down on a stage or other surface, either for safety or to keep them out of view of the audience or camera,[5] they are said to be gaffed or gaffered.

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2008, 08:49 PM »

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2008, 01:41 PM »
If u call any farm supply store
and ask for Silage tape, they
should know what your talking
about. They use the tarps to
cover silage and it sits in the sun
for a year or two, they repair the
tears in the tarp with this tape
and it outlasts the tarps.

Silage Tape.   
Low cost, self-adhesive PVC tape
Used to seal silage bags & wrapping
Roll size : 75mm x 20M

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2008, 01:45 PM »
Great tips!  I have a few to repair...
Thanx!
:D
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2008, 02:22 PM »
Wow....lots of great answers to my question.  That silage tape sounds interesting and I'm sure much easier to find than "gaffers tape".  If I ask for gaffers tape up here where I live, no one will understand.  It's 99% french speaking only up here.  On top of that, the word "gaffe" is a nickname for prostitution.....lol.  I risk getting slapped in the face if I ask for that when I meet a sales lady in a hardware store.  Or maybe not....lol.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2008, 11:43 PM »
another idea is to use a heat gun that is used for the purpose of vynyl repair...such as the vynyl decking material. Maybe a heat gun may even work. I was going to use the heat gun idea but have yet to try it...i do know that it works because a fellow friend told me he has done it. You heat the tarp and move along and follow behind with a roller wheel type device to flatten the two melted peices. Hope this helps.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2008, 01:42 AM »
I was looking at different glues at the hardware store and on the package of ordinary Contact Cement, it says that it glues all plastics and polyethelene.

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2008, 09:02 PM »
Household "Goop" works great on anything.  I use it to patch my waders - rubber & neoprene, mend seams and rips on my Genz Trap put patches on my daughters brownie vest, etc, etc...
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2008, 10:50 PM »
Yes...Goop sounds good too.

What I will do this summer is try out a few methods of making seams in the plastic tarps.  I will even put them in the freezer to see how they hold up in -20 degree temperatures...lol.

By the end of the summer, I will have solved my problem and be ready to make a tiny ice shanty for hauling behind my snowmobile.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2008, 10:59 PM »
Use contact cement. The First one I built stood up to all the winds. I think the worst was 40mph.

Offline PeteTown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2008, 07:33 PM »
iv used contact cement on my portable homade with tarps slap it on both sides let it set up then use a roller to put it together tough i tell ya

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 2008, 07:42 PM »
TY, thats a great idea !   8)

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 24, 2008, 07:04 AM »
gaffers tape won't last. i used to work for a lighting and staging company. great for short term though. wrap some around a pencil, with duct tape around the other half of the pencil. 2 kinds of repair tape with you at all times. i do this fishing, camping, hiking, and mountain biking. takes up only a little room. ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline PeteTown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 25, 2008, 09:10 AM »
what about tuck tape?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.