Author Topic: How do I catch cusk  (Read 5425 times)

Offline d3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pay attention as the kids are always watching
How do I catch cusk
« on: Feb 27, 2008, 06:06 AM »
I think I psted this message somewhere else as I did not know how to start a new topic.  Sorry about that.  I am interested in going north to catch some cusk.  I am curious about a few things as I have not caught these fish before and have some questions.  Foirst are there different tilts for these critters or just different set ups on the rigs?  how soon before or after dark do you fish for them? do they fish just like cat fish?  I am not looking for any secrets just some guidance, if someone whats to share some secrets you can always email me privately.  LOL LOL.  any way iclings I would appreciate any help you can offer.  I strictly fish for pike and the bit here has slowed down unbelievably and looking to do an out of state trip.

D3

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How do I catch cusk
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2008, 05:49 PM »
Forum under New England has a "cusk league". Should have what you need. Can't be to difficult, Darn things drive me nuts late afternoon 40/70 fow looking for lakers on northern Champlain [VT]. Bad enough so I gave up on the spot 3 yrs ago!

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:08 PM »
Fish in 15 or 20 feet of water all night. Use a number 2 hook with a one inch or so peice of cut bait. A chunk of smelt works great. In Febuary u can also check shallower water as they breed in Feb. just drop the bait right on bottom and let it sit. Cusk are a pretty foolproof fish to catch and does not require a lot of skill.lol good luck!

Offline d3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2008, 09:27 PM »
Thank you and I will look into that forum.  I want to try to go get some of these fish in the next couple weeks.  Do they catch alot of them in the summer also or are they just famous to catch in the winter.

D3

Offline MaineWyofishslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2008, 05:12 AM »
mainly winter but also after ice out while jigging for touge and whitefish
Watch your top knot!

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2008, 03:14 PM »
One other thing d3. A friends grama cooked some up for us years back. Fillets coated with ????, deepfried in a pan on the stove top. Some of the best fish I've ever had, maybe the best. She's gone now, I tried twice, absolutly horrable! So I toss them back! You find a good recipe, please post!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2008, 03:17 PM »
What is a cusk?

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2008, 01:37 AM »
If you look in the forum area ice fishing tips you will see the topic eelpout.  Eelpout is just one of the many names used for cusk.  There is quite a bit of information there.  If you don't see what you want there you can always list the question under the state and specific lake you want to go to.  That way you can get information that will work for that lake.
Travis

Offline d3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2008, 07:43 AM »
If I get a good recipe I will surely post it.  You can count on it.  I have not been up north yet as I am still under the weather.

D3

Offline dugmore29

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • New Hampshire Native
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2008, 12:52 PM »
this is a cusk--best eatin fish by far...... YUMMY!!!!
\"Since they call it tourist SEASON,why cant we shoot them?\"

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2008, 01:52 PM »
here in Canada there called Burbot or Ling cod
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2008, 12:50 AM »
we call them lings too and get them alot fishing for northerns there fresh water cod they will hit top water plugs like a pike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.