Author Topic: Light hitting lake trout  (Read 1202 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Light hitting lake trout
« on: Jan 16, 2004, 05:03 PM »
I've very rarely ever had a lake trout hit hard. Usually you just feel added weight or a teeny tap. Everyone in colorado and around that area agrees with me too, but I want to know about everybody.
Do they hit light or hard for you?
I use everything, jigs, tipups, livebait, and they just come up and suck on the bait, even the big ones.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
Re:Light hitting lake trout
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2004, 05:10 PM »
Ive had em in New York state SLAM hard! Must be the water out here. ;)
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2004, 07:19 PM »
I jig for them quite alot in N. Maine and they hit good but not anything too surprizing. If they are hitting lite then a dropper hook gets them.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2004, 08:25 PM »
i've had them hit hard only while jigging, the more rapid the jigging motion the harder the hits i get.  I know they can be pretty aggresive sometimes

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2004, 08:09 PM »
the lakers in NH hit hard
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

trapdaddy21

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2004, 08:14 PM »
i was icefishing in ontario last year and the lakers seems to hit pretty hard. i set up with a medium sized sucker and watched a bobber. it seemed they the lakers really hammered the bait, but that might have just seemed that way because i had too many molson ice beers. if i were you i would consider the size bait you are using and the size for your hooks. when i caught the lakers, i was trying to catch eyes, so maybe you might want to use a smaller setup then you currently are. i caught more lakers than eyes, and on a medium light rod they are a blast!

DipLip

« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2004, 02:30 PM »
They hit hard in ONT,  12 months a year. In spring and fall, they're fearless around the boat. On some days we sight fish for them, and they'll cruise in and wax your bait just like a muskie. Except they rarely miss it or turn away. Pretty awesome to see.  

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2004, 03:07 PM »
I agree with you IceFishingBear...
we fish for them on Flaming Gorge in a hundred feet of water or so...And it is very hard to feel them take the bait while jigging...I have never heard of them slamming baits in that Reservoir...That would be kool if they did though...
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.