New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Making Fish Patties ?  (Read 3966 times)

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
Making Fish Patties ?
« on: Feb 08, 2008, 03:00 PM »
I talked to a guy , I was telling him that I don't keep Pike that are less then 8lbs because after you take the Y bone out of smaller pike you just don't have enough meat (IMO) so I put them back and let them grow.

Well this fellow told me that he just puts the whole fillet (with Y bones still in , not the rib cage) in a food proccessor and blams em for about 3 or 4 minutes.  He said it turns the fillets into mush and then he adds 1 egg and then makes little patties, puts bread crumbs on them and throws them in the deep fryer.  He said they are great and he will never do the Y bone cut again.   I plan on trying this has anyone else ever done this?

Offline Tom Leitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Making Fish Patties ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2008, 03:52 PM »
I make fish patties all the time.  I use a standard crab cake recipe.  In addition to the egg and bread crumbs I use a good spoonful of mayo, some spicy mustard, old bay seasoning, and sweet onions (pre cooked and minced).

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2008, 05:34 PM »
How about some perch patties.....Yum!

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline peterpike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "you got one pole and one life, use it"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2008, 05:45 PM »
im going to have to give that a try. sounds alot easier then messing with that Y bone.

rgfixit those patties look amazing!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2008, 05:51 PM »
Pretty simple...I'll dig out the recipe and post it.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline fishfetcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2008, 06:24 PM »
I talked to a guy , I was telling him that I don't keep Pike that are less then 8lbs because after you take the Y bone out of smaller pike you just don't have enough meat (IMO) so I put them back and let them grow.

Well this fellow told me that he just puts the whole fillet (with Y bones still in , not the rib cage) in a food proccessor and blams em for about 3 or 4 minutes.  He said it turns the fillets into mush and then he adds 1 egg and then makes little patties, puts bread crumbs on them and throws them in the deep fryer.  He said they are great and he will never do the Y bone cut again.   I plan on trying this has anyone else ever done this?
ido the same thing, except i make them the size of a burger and make a sandwich put a little cocktail or tartar sauce on. ex. eating and no worry about bones, just process them enough to get all the bones ground up

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2008, 08:30 PM »
ido the same thing, except i make them the size of a burger and make a sandwich put a little cocktail or tartar sauce on. ex. eating and no worry about bones, just process them enough to get all the bones ground up

Do you use a processor or a blender ?

Ever still catch a bone ?

Offline kirkville1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2008, 08:35 PM »
I add  a little cornmeal as I blend it never tell there was bones there.....Pickeral patties  ;D mmmmmmmmmm
Chris Jones
Team Panfish Persuaders
Navionics Ice Team

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2008, 08:41 PM »
pickeral patties ;D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
        yum o
 only way to do those toothy critters
i use a food processor gring them up till like mush add some bread crumbs seasoned of course 1 egg little hot sauce spicy mustard shape into patties and either deep fry or fry in skilet yummmmmm o ;D

Offline ominousone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2008, 10:53 PM »
A food processor will do pickeral patties?  I thought that you needed a meat grinder.  If that's all that it takes I'm heading out to slay some snakes.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2008, 03:51 AM »
I use a small Black and Decker food processor and I use boneless fillets.

Chop boneless fillets in food processor
add whole egg
crushed crackers
salt,pepper, cayenne pepper, Parmesan cheese, parsely
blend in processor

Remove and form patties
dip patty in seasoned bread crumbs and pan fry til golden brown on each side
Sprinkle with additional Parmesan after turning

Simple and very tasty,
RG

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2008, 06:24 AM »
I use a small Black and Decker food processor and I use boneless fillets.

Chop boneless fillets in food processor
add whole egg
crushed crackers
salt,pepper, cayenne pepper, Parmesan cheese, parsely
blend in processor

Remove and form patties
dip patty in seasoned bread crumbs and pan fry til golden brown on each side
Sprinkle with additional Parmesan after turning

Simple and very tasty,
RG

That sounds good for boneless fillets.  I am kinda looking for some reply's from people who make patties out of Pike Fillets that still have the Y bone in them.

Offline Joe Snag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just Waiting for Deer season to open
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2008, 06:32 AM »
Pickerel patties and also throw in perch eggs. :tipup:
[

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2008, 07:01 AM »
I've done the Pike as well as trout using the grinder method bones and all. I found that running the meat through twice on a meat grinder with a fine to med size cutter works great. The food processor might turn it more to mush if not carefull but worth a try if ya don't have a grinder. The bones will soften through cooking enough as not to make them noticeable when cooked in the pattie. I make my patties the same as above but at times I add mashed potato's to it and plenty of onions. especially good with the trout it cuts the fishy taste on bigger fish. The potato ratio is about 2 parts potato to 1 part fish.

Offline fishfetcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2008, 08:20 AM »
Do you use a processor or a blender ?

Ever still catch a bone ?
i use a processer, it seems to cut the y bones finer, process until it is  very fine.  add egg or 2 to bind it together.  i than make pattys about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, about the size of a hamburger.  coat them with  ORIGINAL shake n bake  chicken  coating. had many people who dont like fish  rave about them. also use the same coating on fillets

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2008, 11:24 AM »
This thread is making me hungry. :D Had I known about this, I would have kept some of the dozen or so pickerel I caught yesterday!

Offline ominousone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2008, 03:23 PM »
For the first time in my life I may actually target pickeral.  I'm actually kind of excited, as I usually don't want to take fish from the water...but if those snakes are good eating than I will probably bring them home every trip i can.  As far as I'm concerned it'll be one or two less times this summer where I lose a 15 dollar crankbait.  Heck maybe I'll even try to start a "Eat the Pickeral" campaign.  :D

Offline kirkville1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2008, 09:11 PM »
I use a blender on high speed never had a bone problem
Chris Jones
Team Panfish Persuaders
Navionics Ice Team

Offline goosehonker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2008, 04:43 AM »
I'm still skeptical!  My belief has always been "that if you have to make a cake out your fish, then it's not going to taste good!"  BUT I am open to new ideas because I catch a lot of pickerel.  Could someone post/PM some even more detailed processing instructions?  Like, exactly what goes in the blender?  I honestly see me turning this into a major eating disaster.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2008, 05:59 AM »
Another thing I like to do with the small pike is can them.  The canning process disolves the bones, then when you want fish patties, open up a can, mix in some egg and roll the patty in crumbs and fry.  Also makes good cold fish sandwiches or just spread the canned fish on crackers.  Just my $.02.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2008, 08:28 AM »
Never done them with the bones in the filet's, but have made fish cakes out of boneless filet's,pike and crappies make a very good " mock crab cake" fine mined onion, red bell pepper,a few bread crumbs, an egg to bind the ingredients,black pepper,red pepper old bay seafood seasoning, a little hot sauce, form cake in the size you want,dip in a egg wash,dip in fine seasoned or plain crumbs,and pan fry over med.heat till done,doesn't take very long maybe 3 or 4 min. to each side.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.