Author Topic: Ice fishing trailer / shanty / drop down trailer / drop wheel  (Read 4682 times)

Offline rkleiner

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi all.  I am planning a drop down trailer.  I can't get one where I live so I must build one.  I can see from the post that i can find on the net that a spring is placed inside the square tube.  The set up will be build by a local machine shop.  It would sure help me alot if someone could help me with a diagram or photo showing how this is built.  I'm not building a monster and going to put in some overkill.  Anything you can throw my may would be nice.

[email protected]

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice fishing trailer / shanty / drop down trailer / drop wheel
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2008, 06:58 PM »
I assume you are asking about torsion axles? They are very compact and easy to build trailers around them. You could mount one on a swivel and rotate the entire assembly with hand crank jack or something. Here's a good site to look at what you'd need:

http://www.etrailerpart.com/

Offline ap2049

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:01 AM »
I would keep it simple and light and do not put to much overkill in it.  I have one that is manufactured in Hayfiedl , Iowa  that is 16 feet by 6 feet and they use leaf springs.  It is very simple.  One end of the leaf spring is hooked to a two pieces of metal that a pin slides through to hook it. You take the pin out and  a manual boat winch is hooked to the one end that unhooks by a pulley that is at the bottom where the cable goes down and than back up and lets the end go up or pull it down. You let it down with the winch after you pull the pin out and on the other end the leaf spring is hooked to pipe that goes across to the other side inside a tube.   The wheels axles are rated for 3500 pounds  and are attached to the leaf springs. When you move you crank the the one end of the leaf spring that is up in the air and down and insert the pin to make it secure.  The winches are mounted up about two feet and a cable goes down and around a pulley and to the leaf spring. 

Offline rkleiner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2008, 10:51 AM »
I think I'm going small on this one....about 10 feet.   Can anyone out there tell me what steel to use. thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.