Author Topic: New to Winnipeg.  (Read 7513 times)

Offline buzz_river

• IceShanty Rookie
New to Winnipeg.
« on: Jan 25, 2008, 11:37 AM »
Hi there,

I just recently moved to Winnipeg earlier this month, and now that the weather is warming up I am itching to get out on the ice.

I am an avid fly fisherman and picked up ice fishing a couple of years ago with a friend, problem is that all of the equipment I regularly used was his. I was wondering if there was anywhere in town here that rented huts, or power augers or both? Or anywhere out in the Falcon Lake area? I was thinking about a hand auger (which works fine in southern Ontario) until I read a post a while back about the ice being 21" thick on some lakes!

I would never expect anyone to give up their honey holes, but I was wondering is anyone could point me in the right direction for trout closer to the city than not. Any trout, lakers, bows, brookies, etc..... etc...

Thanks,

-Buzz 

Offline fishncamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New to Winnipeg.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2008, 11:45 AM »
Welcome to Winnipeg and Iceshanty. :)

If trout is what you are after I would recommend the Duck Mountains. It is up to 5 hours driving each way but worth the drive. Some lakes in the Whiteshell also hold trout as does NW Ontario and some local stocked ponds. There are a number of tackle shops in Winnipeg and you may need to shop around for your best price and service. I would save your money and invest in a gas powered auger. Most of the anglers in Manitoba like to network and you can too by contributing to the local internet forums or joining local clubs such as the Manitoba Fly Fishers Association. If there is a lake that you would like to know more about feel free to pm me and if I can help you I will. Good luck and tight lines. :)

Offline buzz_river

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2008, 04:45 PM »
Fishncamp,

Thanks for the help. I am not dead set on trout, it would be nice to tie into some walleye, the only problem is that besides a couple of rods and a meager selection of ice fishing tackle I really don't have any equipment. 

I don't at all mind fishing without shelter, as I usually bore after three or four hours anyways. But I don't have an auger, chainsaw, or even an ax! Hahaha, I know it is hard to believe that I don't even have an ax ...     That is why I was wondering if there was anyone (guide service/conservation authority) near Winnipeg that rented out the use of huts for 1/2 days or full days..... etc...  I am thinking that my best bet might be to just recycle someone else's old holes...  That way I would probably only need a crowbar. There must be a few of those near Lockport, old holes that is. Silly question but do you think that would be poor etiquette.

Thanks again for your help. It is funny that you mention the MFFA, because I joined about two days after I arrived in Winnipeg....   as a matter of fact I joined the club before I even found a job!

-Buzz

Offline skreeks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2008, 06:32 PM »
there a place just north of Selkirk where you can rent a shack. the holes are predrilled for ya and they have the wood stove going before you get there. nice and toasty. its at the end of main street north of the bridge. not sure of the phone #.

Offline buzz_river

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2008, 08:02 PM »
Thanks Skreeks. I'll have to take a drive out there tomorrow.

-Buzz

Offline J-Kap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2008, 08:37 PM »
Buzz River,

Call the Fishin Hole.  They will have the number for the Shack Rentals at the end of main.

Offline Coleman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:02 PM »
hey buzz river welcome to ice shanty. the number is 482 5168 for the end of main shack rental's .....goood deal..

Offline ickirby

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Pirate!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2008, 11:33 PM »
I am thinking that my best bet might be to just recycle someone else's old holes...  That way I would probably only need a crowbar. There must be a few of those near Lockport, old holes that is. Silly question but do you think that would be poor etiquette.

There will be probably 100 spare holes around Lockport by noon each day this weekend and although I cannot speak for anyone else.  I have never heard of anyone saying anything about people using abandoned holes just make sure if they are still fishing near by that the people are done with the holes.  Also if they are still fishing near by and you start catching a bunch of fish out of their holes at least give them some pointers hahaahh.  Also don't be afraid to ask someone near by to pop in a couple holes for ya, most will oblige, I drilled 10 holes for a couple guys toughing it out with their hand auger trying to get their kids into ice fishing the other weekend. 

As for you being concerned about not having the right equipment a small ice rod spinning reel and some 1/4 - 3/8 oz jigs and some live or salted minnows are not going to break the bank.  Reading through other peoples reports on here will help you a lot as well.  There are a lot of guys giving away their secrets, as for secrets of my own to give you for the Red River is to keep it simple with a jig and a minnow and move around as much as you can to find the fish and once you find some there is hardly a better fishery for nice sized pickeral.

Good luck out there and welcome to Manitoba.
Ian Kirby

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2008, 10:45 AM »
If you find yourself travelling to Kenora drop me a line. If I am able I'll take you out for a fish. No huts though so dress warmly :D
I know what it's like to be new to an area. I moved to NW Ontario in 2002 from Guelph.

One piece of good advice above - invest in a power auger. I'll tell you my rookie season reason. I started to drive my truck out onto Lake of the Woods around December 18, 2002 with my fairly new hand auger, a FinnBore3. Ice was about 16" and I was drilling about 4-6 holes a time with ease. Come early January 2003 the ice was 24" and I drilled 3-4 holes with a little less ease. Late January ice was about 30" drilled 1-2 holes. Early February ice was nearly 36" and I was buggered with the manual auger. Crappy Tire then had Jiffy augers on sale so I bought one. I was in seventh heaven. Drilled all kinds of holes. End of February I needed an extension. Everywhere was sold out so I was bringing an axe to enlargen holes to drop handle down. Machinist friend made me a 14" extension. I stand 6'5" in my boots so don't try that length of extension if you are shorter than me - I start at head level. With the extension I was back in business. By early March ice was a measured 44" with 2 weeks of cold weather after that. I gave up measuring after that. I have not needed the extension since except for a couple of times last year where the snowpack and slush had frozen. Bottom line is I would not have managed to fish except for that auger. I should point out that the winter of 02-03 was particularly harsh with frigid temps, and more importantly lack of snow. But ice can be over 2 feet thick in a relatively poor year - I was drilling about 18" this past Thursday.
A power auger is the best investment I have ever made for ice fishing. As I pull my stuff in the sleigh behind my snowmobile or in the back of a truck weight is not an issue so I got a 3HP with a 10" blade. I love it!! The big hole is good for everything that swims from crappie to big pike and trout.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Glen

Offline J-Kap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2008, 11:28 AM »
There is also a shack for rent near Cat's on the Red.

It says to call the MAc's store in Selkirk.  I ntinkk it is $55/day.

Offline wisebeyondmyyears

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2008, 11:51 AM »
we've been having good luck about a mile north of the locks in locport. pink 1/4 oz jig with a salted minnow. pretty close to shore. o nthe west side. havent tried middle or east side tho. hope this sort of get you in the right direction

Offline buzz_river

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2008, 10:47 PM »
Thanks a bunch to everyone who has replied. I think I am gonna head out tomorrow morning see if I can't make something happen!

SnakeHunter, I too just moved from Guelph! Small world! Most of my past ice fishing experience has been on Guelph lake for perch, Bellwood for Pike, and a trip once a year up to Dunlop Lake north of Elliot Lake for Laker's and Brookies. There is a very good chance that I might be out Kenora way. I understand that there are some pretty decent trout lakes right at the border....    so maybe I'll just keep driving on and see what lake of the woods is all about!

Thanks again to everyone for the pointers and the warm welcomes. If all goes well I'll have some pics to post by tomorrow evening! hahaha, well heres hoping!

-Buzz

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2008, 06:12 PM »
My brother teaches at Guelph....

Through the site, you may very well be able to get a fishing partner to go with...that's generally not too hard to find.  The Red can be a cruel mistress...just don't completely give up if she doesn't give up lots of fish on any given day.
Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:05 PM »
Welcome to Friendly Manitoba Buzz  :)
I too hail from Ontario, Cornwall way!
Coleman gave you the right phone number for the End of Main Rentals. The price is very reasonable but they charge by the hut......not by the amount of people......so to make it cost effective you may want to find a few anglers to share the cost with you.
You should also phone and reserve a few days before since there is some rather large groups that rent most of them all at once for special events but mostly on weekends. It's rather quiet there during the week. Drive north of Selkirk along the west side of the river. Follow the road past the cottages at Breezy Point, over a little bridge....all the way to the end.......house there on RHS is the owner. Road continues onto the ice from there or you can park in his lot and walk a short distance to shack.
For years, I usually had my own "blue igloo" set up in that same vicinity but last year, I opted out due to the shortened season thanks to the mid-Feb visit of the icebreaker  ::)
I rented a shack on a day it was -39*C without the windchill. It was cozy and warm inside with lots of wood to burn! I stayed all day and managed to land a few walleye.
Thriller is right.......it can be a challenge some days. Watch the barometric pressures and avoid south-east windy days.......my tips!   ;)
Good Luck and Good Fishin'
Blue Igloo  :tipup:
pic inside rental......the sun shining through window!

Offline Coleman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:36 PM »
nice catch blue igloo,yes those shack's are a good price for a day of fishing and lot's of wood to burn if it's cold out good luck.

Offline buzz_river

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2008, 12:59 PM »
Thanks again Gents,

I might look into a shack that with the temps being where they are these days....    yikes! I went out Sunday afternoon with a crowbar between the locks and shanty town. Landed one, missed about 4, one of which felt like a beast. Oh well all part of the fun. Seems like a great hard water fishery. Looking forward to getting back out there.

-Buzz.

Offline wisebeyondmyyears

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2008, 03:09 PM »
hell, use mine just pick me up on yer way out lol my trukk broke

Offline Stevie B

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2008, 07:43 PM »
If your looking for something a bit more pricey, but way more of an adventure, contact Rick Penner of George Lake outfitters.  He has a couple ice shack rental on George Lake.  There is no road access so he takes you in and picks you up via covered Argo.  If you rent cabins for the weekend from him the cost of the shack rentals/tansportation is included in the cabin rentals.  I thought it was about $450 for 2days/2nights fishing.

www.georgelakeoutfitters.com

Offline J-Kap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:06 PM »
If your looking for something a bit more pricey, but way more of an adventure, contact Rick Penner of George Lake outfitters.  He has a couple ice shack rental on George Lake.  There is no road access so he takes you in and picks you up via covered Argo.  If you rent cabins for the weekend from him the cost of the shack rentals/tansportation is included in the cabin rentals.  I thought it was about $450 for 2days/2nights fishing.

www.georgelakeoutfitters.com

That looks like a good deal. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.