The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Higgins Lake Info  (Read 15664 times)

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a method to my madness!
Higgins Lake Info
« on: Jan 16, 2008, 07:43 PM »
I have noticed a TON of interest concerning Higgins lately, here's some helpful information.
Bait stores:
                 Sports Barn 989-821-9511
                 Higgins Lake Bait & Tackle 989-821-9517
Lodging and Motels:
                  Fawn motel(if open still)989-821-6658
                  Northwind motel 989-821-6972
                  Great Escape 989-821-6343
Chamber of Commerce:
                   989-275-8760
Hope this is of help...See ya on the ice.                       Jay
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.
 "As fish go through the water colume, so do the days of our lives".

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
Re: Higgins Lake Info
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2008, 07:50 PM »
I have noticed a TON of interest concerning Higgins lately, here's some helpful information.
Bait stores:
                 Sports Barn 989-821-9511
                 Higgins Lake Bait & Tackle 989-821-9517
Lodging and Motels:
                  Fawn motel(if open still)989-821-6658
                  Northwind motel 989-821-6972
                  Great Escape 989-821-6343
Chamber of Commerce:
                   989-275-8760
Hope this is of help...See ya on the ice.                       Jay

Here is a site with more info http://www.visithoughtonlake.com/fishhigginsmap.html

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2008, 06:58 PM »
Just talked to my uncle who is at the cottage on Higgins and he said the South end froze over this morning! I'm happier than a two peckerd billy goat.
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:04 PM »
  Wife and I road from the North Sate Park to the South State Park this morning. The North park had skim ice as far as you could see with a few open holes. The West launch had a little bit of snow sitting in spots but still had small open spots and by the South park the wind had piled the ice up and there was still small open spots but I think it won't be long now. I will check it out in the middle of the week and see what it looks like.

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:07 PM »
how long do you think it'll be before 6 inches of safe ice?  i want to get to higgins this year.  can't make the trip until february.
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:10 PM »
With this weather, if the whole lake skims by tonight, I would believe there to be  ice (4" to 6") two weeks from now..... at least I hope so.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:10 PM »
  Depends on the temps which are not suppose to be out of the teens next week and if we get alot of snow this week.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:14 PM »
Yeah, snow could be a dampering factor. Usually though their is not enough moisture in the air when it is this cold to create any large amounts of accumulation.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:18 PM »
Yeah, snow could be a dampering factor. Usually though their is not enough moisture in the air when it is this cold to create any large amounts of accumulation.

Man I'm going crazy hearing everyone talking about Higgins. Gets me all geeked up.CANT WAIT, CANT WAIT, CANT WAIT, CANT WAIT, CANT WAIT.  :whistle: :whistle: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:19 PM »
weatherman are saying 2-4 inches of snow in my neck of the woods, monday night!  that would suck.  i wouldn't mind a inch or so, but not 4 inches.

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:21 PM »
yeah i hear ya.  but where are the good spots for the lake trout?  i currently have a map of the lake, but i do not own an atv, so any help would greatly appreciated!  thanks in advance.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:21 PM »
weatherman are saying 2-4 inches of snow in my neck of the woods, monday night!  that would suck.  i wouldn't mind a inch or so, but not 4 inches.

Hey man we got all these good vibes going.DONT JINKS IT. :-X :-X :-X

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:26 PM »
4" of snow aint $%# that will blow off the lake in 8 hrs. Yeah don't jinx us. I'll bet there is 5"  a week from now easily. 1'' a day, besides Ive seen the lake make 2" overnight so I'm not worried see you up there.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:26 PM »
I really care about one........little..... ...tiny.......thing:
But a laker or two would be cool.

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:28 PM »
i have read articles in the michigan sportsman magazine about the lakers at higgins.  they say 30 pounders are in there and it's very common to catch them around 20 pounds!  deep lake though, very deep.  just can't wait to head up there for a weekend.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:32 PM »
Beautiful lake in the summer too. I think it gets abused though, winter and summer months. Some people have no respect.

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:41 PM »
I suggest those of you who want to nail that monster laker up on Higgins, to hire a guide, there are a few of them that I know of in the area. I would have done that, but I  really have'nt had to much trouble finding lakers. My auncle who grew up there is my guide and so is our great uncle and my mother-in-laws brother and many other locals who we know up there.
     Oh yeah if you do decide to hire a guide, you can probably contact Higgins Lake Bait & Tackle for a referrel.
You wont be dissappointed.

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:47 PM »
Beautiful lake in the summer too. I think it gets abused though, winter and summer months. Some people have no respect.
Amen brother... I would hope that I can trust those of us from Ice Shanty to respect that lake and all lakes for that matter. Ive seen some major slobs on the ice espeicially at smelt city. PICK UP YOUR TRASH!!!

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:54 PM »
I mentioned that last week in a topic about Higgins. Last year disgusted me. That part of the lake looked like a trash dump. I chatted with an owner of a sub shop near smelt camp and she said every year it's like that. People come up, have a big ol' grand time, trash the area then leave :nono:. The locals are the ones left behind to clean up. It's truly sad. If I happen to see anybody leaving there crap behind, I am going to try and get there plate # when they leave and report them. :callcops: I pick up after enough people on the local lakes I fish. :%$#!:

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2008, 08:59 PM »
I mentioned that last week in a topic about Higgins. Last year disgusted me. That part of the lake looked like a trash dump. I chatted with an owner of a sub shop near smelt camp and she said every year it's like that. People come up, have a big ol' grand time, trash the area then leave :nono:. The locals are the ones left behind to clean up. It's truly sad. If I happen to see anybody leaving there crap behind, I am going to try and get there plate # when they leave and report them. :callcops: I pick up after enough people on the local lakes I fish. :%$#!:

It doesn't seem to do any good to report them I have try ed but if you see what vehicle there in you can just slash their tires :D just joking that dosen't work either ive tryed(again another joke. Never mind don't do that cause they would just change it out and through the bad tire on the lake. The best thing to do is confront them or leave them a message on their vehicle and if you cant muster up the guts to do either one than just pick there trash and know that you went above and beyond to help out a beautiful Michigan lakes.

Offline icecaptain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2008, 09:02 PM »
Higgins had some open water as of today
"the worst day of fishing is always better than a great day at work"

Offline mbrooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it swims I want to catch it
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:51 AM »
I really care about one........little..... ...tiny.......thing:
But a laker or two would be cool.

I agree 110%!!!!! I can't wait to get  some more of them delicious smelt.mm,mm good! ;)
[IMG]

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2008, 06:14 PM »
My uncle woke up this morning and went down to the lake and saw a guy out on SE side of lake. He walked out to talk to him, seeing that he was the only guy on the lake, and it was my other uncle (wife's side of family) :D. He was fishing 40 FOW 6" solid hard clear ice!!! I'm going up this weekend........keep you posted.
 It must of made 2" a day w/ this cold weather...... not a speck of snow on lake. He said you could see bottom through 6" clearly, said it was really neat. Must of spooked the fish. One dink perch and lost something huge. I hate fishing first ice when its crystal clear ice seems to spook fish.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2008, 06:51 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:21 PM »
My uncle woke up this morning and went down to the lake and saw a guy out on SE side of lake. He walked out to talk to him, seeing that he was the only guy on the lake, and it was my other uncle (wife's side of family) :D. He was fishing 40 FOW 6" solid hard clear ice!!! I'm going up this weekend........keep you posted.
 It must of made 2" a day w/ this cold weather...... not a speck of snow on lake. He said you could see bottom through 6" clearly, said it was really neat. Must of spooked the fish. One dink perch and lost something huge. I hate fishing first ice when its crystal clear ice seems to spook fish.

is the whole lake froze completely?  or just that area your uncle was at?

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2008, 09:00 AM »
Amen brother... I would hope that I can trust those of us from Ice Shanty to respect that lake and all lakes for that matter. Ive seen some major slobs on the ice espeicially at smelt city. PICK UP YOUR TRASH!!!

I had the underwater camera goin last year at smelt city and saw beer cans all over the bottom.... drink of choice budweiser
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • give me cold temps and I'll keep em comming
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2008, 10:07 AM »
I hate fishing first ice when its crystal clear ice seems to spook fish.
I had a hard time yesterday on crystal clear ice.... could see all the weed beds, where they ended, and drop offs.  Real spooky kind of neat but caught near nothing.  The ones I did catch where by expansion cracks that got cloudy on top the ice and created cover.   

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:57 PM »
Uncle fished the SE side all day. Michigan Sportsman was wrong in their big review and forcast for Higgins lake. They said the perch were going to be big this year. Uncle tried many areas and many depths w/ aqua veiw caught many perch. His biggest one.............5". I'm going to have to go up and show him how its done, maybe I can get some 7" ers and be his hero. We figure Higgins, as I reported earleir is making close to 2" of ice per day. Today he had his snowmobile all over on 8" of ice. 1" of snow cover.

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2008, 06:53 PM »
is this including smeltville???
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2008, 07:05 PM »
is this including smeltville???
No, Just the S. end of lake up to Flag point. As far as I know the W . NW side has 3-4". You can confirm this by calling H. L. Bait and Tackle. They are good about giving info and they are located right next to smeltville. Thier # is posted at the start of this thread.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.