Author Topic: Big Bluegill ?  (Read 20112 times)

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Big Bluegill ?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2008, 09:38 AM »
My dad and I caught a mess of Big gills this past sunday, 12 -13 in the 8" - 10" range Biggest and most we have ever caught at this lake. Also a 13" Crappie, and a 12" perch...We had an awesome day...I should be there fishing now instead of looking at a screen..hmmmm

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2008, 10:33 AM »
My wife caught a big Bluegill a few years ago. It was 14 -1/2" and weighed 1lb 15oz on a certified scale. In almost 50 years of fishing I haven't seen one even close to that size. I had to get it mounted for her. It is a super fish. I'm going to try to post a photo of it. Hope it works

(Image removed from quote.)[/img]

Hey the wife should be more excited, that is a mudflap and a half, big gill.

10 inches is a trophy fish, any thing over 11 should be considered for the wall.

Personally I keep the gills to eat love em. anything over 8-8.5 meets hot oil. In lakes near wny there are some nice gill fisheries. Non stop action all day.There is generally no problems in harvesting a good batch to eat.

Last note, I have fished a private lake for bass and have had big gills wack lures like storm hot&tots, jr. thunderstick and 3.5 tubes. There are some tankers in this lake, but nothing in the 14 inch range.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2008, 11:27 AM »
My wife caught a big Bluegill a few years ago. It was 14 -1/2" and weighed 1lb 15oz on a certified scale. In almost 50 years of fishing I haven't seen one even close to that size. I had to get it mounted for her. It is a super fish. I'm going to try to post a photo of it. Hope it works

I caught one like that once up in the Boundary Waters of Minnesota, about the size and round like a Dinner Plate.  Wish I would of had a camera, that was close to 40 years ago!

Offline juniatabassman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 10, 2008, 03:11 PM »
wow those are some nice gills guys and girls keep up the good work. dont think i ever got one that big maybe nine.

Offline thechief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 10, 2008, 08:27 PM »

All I  can say is WOW!!!!! 

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 11, 2008, 05:16 AM »
Now that is a gill. holy cow   :o
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2008, 06:28 AM »
Husky....first off congrats on a PIG! That's a hog for sure. I am glad to see others have the approach I do to this fishery.....put the slobs back to breed.

Now don't get me wrong I take my share of panfish....for the pan but I see no reason to take ALL the big fish "we" catch. It takes a long time for perch and gills to reach that size. I commend you on this!

Good fishing buddy!

C'mon cod snap....bring the "safe" ice back!

HB.....where to you normally roam in CT....I usually fish the NW corner....you?

Tight Lines Buddy!DD
"Feet Down and Bellys Up!!

Offline Fishin is the Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2008, 07:12 AM »
Congrats on the nice 'gill.  That's big in anybody's book.  My personal best is just over 11"...which I released.  Great fishing.
Thanks, Dad, for taking the time to show me how to fish!!

Chuck

Offline funk380

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2008, 07:53 AM »
10 inch gill is a nice catch in my eyes. We have several ponds that produce 10 inch gills all day long. I am waiting for a 11 inch to put on the wall. I caught 30 that were all 10 inches last friday. I was using a thin orange jig tipped with a waxy. I have also used a demon jig that was yellow with an orange head and a waxy.Have caught them on minnows also, they are pigs!

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2008, 08:19 AM »
DuckDiggler,

I live in Glastonbury, so most of my ice trips are east of the CT River.  Your corner of the state is GREAT for ice fishing though.  Best of luck out there.

I am a big believer in selective harvest, especially on the bluegills over say 9".  One day I caught a bunch and kept 10 real nice ones.  WE will make a nice chowder this winter, but 80 plus % of the fish we catch will be released.   

Looking for JUMBO Perch, Crappie, and Bluegill

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2008, 08:55 AM »
DuckDiggler,

I live in Glastonbury, so most of my ice trips are east of the CT River.  Your corner of the state is GREAT for ice fishing though.  Best of luck out there.

I am a big believer in selective harvest, especially on the bluegills over say 9".  One day I caught a bunch and kept 10 real nice ones.  WE will make a nice chowder this winter, but 80 plus % of the fish we catch will be released.   

You are so right! The latest research says we are our own worst enemies by taking the largest bluegills. These fish tend to be males and if they are removed they are replaced during breeding season by smaller males which become sexually mature when they would not have otherwise. When fish become sexually mature they slow down considerably in growth. Energy that would go into growth gets diverted to the gonads and of course males that are on the beds don't actively eat (although they will attack items thrown into their beds). If I could take this a step farther; If you're fishing for them during breeding season and you must keep fish, keep the females not the males, and throw back the largest males. 

For those of us that are not sure it's fairly easy to sex bluegills during the breeding season. The males have orangish breasts vs. yellow in the female. The males have black scale tips just behind the head on top fading out posteriarly, the male has a longer ear tab, vs. shorter square ear tab, and the male tends to be darker. Other times of year it can be hard to differientate.

Here's a link to some of what Illinois Natural History research is finding:

http://www.illinoisgameandfish.com/fishing/crappies-panfish-fishing/il_aa051603a/
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2008, 02:37 PM »
HB...if you ever want to get out in these parts....shoot me a pm...would love to share the ice with another insano-panfish man like myself! LOL

taxi....great info bud! I wish more people would think about what they are doing before they decide to fill up a 5-gallon bucket with every fish they stick.

Tight Lines All! DD

Offline buttlesdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2008, 03:06 PM »
Show off!!!!!!!!

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
« Reply #43 on: Jan 11, 2008, 03:25 PM »
Listen Popeye, you'll be showing off too when I put you on some 10" gills.  :D

Mr. Diggler,

When we get some safe ice again, lets get out and do some serious jigging.  Have Vex, will travel. 

Mike
Looking for JUMBO Perch, Crappie, and Bluegill

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 11, 2008, 10:07 PM »
Mike sounds like a plan! Todd

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:36 PM »
10" gill is biggest i've seen out of my lake, then an 11" crappie, then a 12" perch, then bass and trout ranging in all sizes. my local ace hardware has a couple of gills that are about 13" mounted on the wall, i can't get over the size of those things!

Offline lil-skipper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 19, 2008, 11:06 AM »

congrats to you,re wife I,ve never caught a bluegill over 10.5", but as far as the biggest bluegill mount I,ve ever seen, it is of all places up in the u.p. at the seney B/Pstation, that also doubles as a bait&tackle shop. They have a big bluegill mounted that weighed 2lbs13oz. over 16" long, caught in 1971 out of  South Manistique lake.       

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 16, 2008, 10:46 PM »
9" = keeper
10" = trophy
11" = THAT THING'S A MONSTER!!!!!!!

Offline vexaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 27, 2008, 06:14 PM »
I think a 9 or 10 inch Bluegill is a trophy anywhere. They are so fun on light tackle. My biggest didn't come threw the ice. It was in late June on a Central Iowa lake. Was 11" and 1.6#s, took picture and released to fight another day. Caught plenty of 8 1/2"ers this winter, just cann't find the Bulls. Maybe this weekend.

Offline Ronbo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish hog
« Reply #49 on: Feb 27, 2008, 06:18 PM »
my mouth is watering yum :icefish:

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:22 PM »
Around these parts 8'' is a nice gill, and 9'' is a big fish. I've caught a few over 9 this season, but my biggest ever was 11.25. I was a young kid and caught (and measured it) out of a local farm pond. It almost looked like a different species, but it was definitely a bluegill. Would love to catch one like that through the ice!

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "damn i forgot the bait"
« Reply #51 on: Mar 03, 2008, 07:42 PM »

Who says girls cant fish
"Just thinkin about jiggin"

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Mar 03, 2008, 07:46 PM »
I caught about 3 or 4 over the years out of a farm pond that went between 12 - 13"... but of course thats a farm pond and i try not to count them as real fish... unfortunately they were on open water...
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #53 on: Mar 03, 2008, 09:41 PM »
Caught one out of Pymatuning Lake in PA fishing for walleye. Swallowed a 1/8oz jig and half a crawler! Just over 12in long! It must have been a dinosaur!
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Mar 04, 2008, 07:37 AM »
I caught about 3 or 4 over the years out of a farm pond that went between 12 - 13"... but of course thats a farm pond and i try not to count them as real fish... unfortunately they were on open water...

Why doesn't a farm pond fish count?  ???
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Mar 04, 2008, 12:49 PM »
Why doesn't a farm pond fish count?  ???

i dont know, have just always considered farm pond fish to be inferior because no one else has a crack at em
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Mar 04, 2008, 06:38 PM »
i dont know, have just always considered farm pond fish to be inferior because no one else has a crack at em

Did you know farm pond bass can get really hard to catch if you practice catch and release? There are only so many of them and I can assure you they wise up to the same presentations.

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Mar 08, 2008, 08:34 AM »
That is one awesome fish that your wife caught, really nice mount also.

No pics, not sure I owned a camera back then but back in the late 60's while fishin' with my dad I iced two Gills back to back that measured 11.5" fishing a small local lake on State land. Of course bein' young and bulletproof I thought it was just the start of better things to come.  ::)  ::) Thus no mount and no pics, heck I don't think I could have afforded ta mount 'em back then with four little ones at home.

Have caight a few honest 11" Gills fishin' in the spring spawning period when they where on their beds back in the early  '80's.

Lately it's been difficult for me to break that 9" mark. Gotta find some new waters.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #58 on: Mar 08, 2008, 09:01 AM »
Did you know farm pond bass can get really hard to catch if you practice catch and release? There are only so many of them and I can assure you they wise up to the same presentations.

I know a small private lake down in SEPA that is exactly like that....when we first started fishing it last spring we'd knock out bass and gills all day long (all released) but by the end of the summer you had to really work for even a bite

My best gill is just under 10"...I just can't break the 10" mark
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Mar 08, 2008, 10:13 AM »
I know a small private lake down in SEPA that is exactly like that....when we first started fishing it last spring we'd knock out bass and gills all day long (all released) but by the end of the summer you had to really work for even a bite

My best gill is just under 10"...I just can't break the 10" mark

I'll tell you what's really wild. I believe smallmouth learn faster than largemouth at least due to the following experience: Last spring I and some friends removed as many yellow perch out of one of my ponds up to 15 1/4 inches via angling for BPS aquariums along with another 48 for VHS testing. In the process we caught and released up to 50 smallmouths.

Come fall when it's time to catch the smallmouth out they won't cooperate. Very skittish and hard to catch on even live bait. Most of them I got by draining down the pond (was going to anyway) an dipping them out of puddles. I'm telling you I was amazed how conditioned they had become after only one catch and release.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.