Author Topic: Big Bluegill ?  (Read 20105 times)

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
Big Bluegill ?
« on: Jan 06, 2008, 03:30 PM »
I've had a great time jigging up bluegill this winter, including about a dozen that have gone 10" or better.  That 10" mark is the "catch and release" trophy standard here in Connecticut.  I got this 10" bluegill this morning on a very small Marmooska tipped with a spike:

What is a big bluegill where you icefish and what jigging baits do you prefer? 

Thanks in advance. 

Looking for JUMBO Perch, Crappie, and Bluegill

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
Re: Big Bluegill ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2008, 03:40 PM »
Nice Gill.  I would say the 10" mark is a trophy in NY waters also.  I caught one 10 3/4' in December.  Mine came on a metalic perch jigging Rapala fishing for walleyes.  Other than that, most of my big gills come on chartruese moon jigs tipped with a waxworm. 

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2008, 03:50 PM »
nice gill!

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2008, 04:11 PM »
my biggest is 11 1/4....and she doin on the wall i caught her about a month ago... great fish man
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline Mikey B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2008, 04:22 PM »
A 10" gill is big anywhere you fish !! my best is around 9 or so, them big girls are hard to find come winter.
For baits, i like moon glows, and a 1" tube, pearl or black& chartreuse, tipped with a spike.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2008, 04:23 PM »
10 inches is a very good fish just about anywhere. Some places it's hard to top 9 inches.  Here in Indiana we go more on weight than length though. Anything 1 lb. or over is the cuttoff for a trophy here. And I'm not talking about all those 12 oz. fish people call 1 lb. fish. Incidentally a 1 lb. bluegill here is at least 10 inches.

Here's one a little over 11 inches I caught in a small lake in Massachusetts several years ago.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2008, 04:26 PM »
Nice Gill... :flex:

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2008, 05:08 PM »
that's a beaut!

Offline jamesdegitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2008, 06:38 PM »
nice gill...anyone who says that's not that big is lying.....that's a toad no matter where you go.  Here in northern indiana thats a nice gill. We do get them bigger occasionally, but not often.  I personally have a
11 1/4" redear mounted that I caught 2 yrs. ago.  My buddy got a 13" gill out of his grandmas gravel pit about 7 or 8 yrs. ago.
I'm not getting skunked, I'm just eliminating water

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2008, 06:48 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  The 10" ones are generally pretty tough to come by here in CT.  The biggest I have seen/caught here in CT was about 11".  We also get some real nice yellow perch and the occasional real nice crappie. 

I am mainly an open water bass fisherman, but I really enjoy jigging up quality panfish through the ice. 

Offline Baxter1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2008, 08:31 PM »
Nice Gill.My biggest is around 10".I like the marmooskas also.Have to order more.
HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2008, 10:44 PM »
nice gill...anyone who says that's not that big is lying.....that's a toad no matter where you go.  Here in northern indiana thats a nice gill. We do get them bigger occasionally, but not often.  I personally have a
11 1/4" redear mounted that I caught 2 yrs. ago.  My buddy got a 13" gill out of his grandmas gravel pit about 7 or 8 yrs. ago.

Not fair to compare Redears to gills James. Redears get bigger.  ;D  I've mounted several 11 to 12 inchers from the Lake James Chain and Coldwater Lake.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline jamesdegitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2008, 04:28 AM »
I totally agree taxidermist!  I don't get a chance to brag about fish very much, so I get it in while I can.  ;) i caught that one and the year before I caught one a little bigger on lake George.  George is a very underrated gill fisherie. 
I'm not getting skunked, I'm just eliminating water

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2008, 05:10 AM »
We do the same, catch and release on big Bluegills and I feel it keeps the big ones coming back.

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2008, 08:56 AM »
Here are a bunch of good ones I got last winter, now I release most of the real good ones.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2008, 08:58 AM »
had 5 gills this weekend between a buddy and i that were over 10", and i had a handfull of crappies over 12" also. Too bad the ice if going to disappear.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2008, 10:26 AM »
My wife caught a big Bluegill a few years ago. It was 14 -1/2" and weighed 1lb 15oz on a certified scale. In almost 50 years of fishing I haven't seen one even close to that size. I had to get it mounted for her. It is a super fish. I'm going to try to post a photo of it. Hope it works

[/img]

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2008, 10:39 AM »
My wife caught a big Bluegill a few years ago. It was 14 -1/2" and weighed 1lb 15oz on a certified scale. In almost 50 years of fishing I haven't seen one even close to that size. I had to get it mounted for her. It is a super fish. I'm going to try to post a photo of it. Hope it works

Do you have a picture of the mount?  Who mounted it for you?

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2008, 10:52 AM »
Thats one heck of a bluegill.  Congrats to you and your wife. 

Was it caught through the ice? 

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2008, 11:07 AM »
Gambell, Here;s the pic of the mount. It was mounted by Tom Evanicki[sp] from Honeoye. He moved south a few years back and I have lost track of him.

[/img]

Huskybass, It was caught in the summer out of a large deep pond.

Offline dan tessmann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2008, 11:21 AM »
thats a very nice bluegill anywhere you go. my biggest was a 14" caught out of a farm pond in the fall. as big as a paper plate, ended up being just under 2 pounds. new to the site so hello to all the long time members.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2008, 11:35 AM »
i seen a bluegill at a baitstore (Brown's Bait & Tackle) in Jacksonville, Fl when i was in the Navy that was 15.5" and 4.4 lbs. It was huge..
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2008, 01:43 PM »
Bluegills in the 14" - 15" range had to have put up one heck of a fight. Those pictures are outstanding!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap: :clap:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2008, 04:28 PM »
caught a 12" 7/8 blue gill , just a 1/2" of the state record,what a fight i couldnt killer to mount it  :'( , i put it back to let a nother fisherman catch it :-\

Offline fishingmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Eat...Sleep
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2008, 04:45 PM »
Here is a pic of a 11" one I caught this past summer, fishing some local waters.

sorry about the size of the pic could not resize it.

Devan's first Large Mouth        Skilar's first Large Mouth through the ice
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day...Teach him to fish, feed him for a life time...
In Loving Memory of Roy H. Leach Sr., 3/14/4

Offline elmerross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Honoeye bullgill; size of a 5 gal pail.
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2008, 06:52 PM »
My biggest gill was caught in the summer 12 1/2" female filled with eggs,i took a picture and put her back in the lake.I have also got a total of twenty over 10" and under 11" caught through the ice, local lake in western NY....

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2008, 09:10 PM »
I totally agree taxidermist!  I don't get a chance to brag about fish very much, so I get it in while I can.  ;) i caught that one and the year before I caught one a little bigger on lake George.  George is a very underrated gill fisherie. 

Big redears are nice too though! Harder to get to bite through the ice though don't you think?

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2008, 08:18 PM »
My son Carter got this one in June at age 6.  It barely measured 10", but was a beast. 

Offline ShackRat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2008, 11:21 PM »
yeah id say 8 and up is considered a decent gill around these parts (madison wisconsin)
PBR... the beer of the gods!

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2008, 12:36 AM »
That is the biggest bluegill I ever seen, I gotta get my wife out there fishing. The mount is super nice!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.