Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Ice Fishing Shanty
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Gearcor | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | KitteryTradingPost | Cabelas
Oct 30, 2014, 08:24 AM
Support Iceshanty... Get some great gear and forum goodies... Join The Iceshanty Militia

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?

Author Topic: Big Bluegill ?  (Read 13078 times)

dan tessmann

• IceShanty Newbie

Re: Big Bluegill ?
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2008, 10:21 AM »
thats a very nice bluegill anywhere you go. my biggest was a 14" caught out of a farm pond in the fall. as big as a paper plate, ended up being just under 2 pounds. new to the site so hello to all the long time members.

Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2008, 10:35 AM »
i seen a bluegill at a baitstore (Brown's Bait & Tackle) in Jacksonville, Fl when i was in the Navy that was 15.5" and 4.4 lbs. It was huge..
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Just Fishin'
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2008, 12:43 PM »
Bluegills in the 14" - 15" range had to have put up one heck of a fight. Those pictures are outstanding!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap: :clap:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular

• ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2008, 03:28 PM »
caught a 12" 7/8 blue gill , just a 1/2" of the state record,what a fight i couldnt killer to mount it  :'( , i put it back to let a nother fisherman catch it :-\

fishingmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Fish...Eat...Sleep
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2008, 03:45 PM »
Here is a pic of a 11" one I caught this past summer, fishing some local waters.

sorry about the size of the pic could not resize it.

Devan's first Large Mouth        Skilar's first Large Mouth through the ice
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day...Teach him to fish, feed him for a life time...
In Loving Memory of Roy H. Leach Sr., 3/14/4

elmerross

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Honoeye bullgill; size of a 5 gal pail.
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2008, 05:52 PM »
My biggest gill was caught in the summer 12 1/2" female filled with eggs,i took a picture and put her back in the lake.I have also got a total of twenty over 10" and under 11" caught through the ice, local lake in western NY....

taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2008, 08:10 PM »
I totally agree taxidermist!  I don't get a chance to brag about fish very much, so I get it in while I can.  ;) i caught that one and the year before I caught one a little bigger on lake George.  George is a very underrated gill fisherie. 

Big redears are nice too though! Harder to get to bite through the ice though don't you think?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Jigging Nomad
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2008, 07:18 PM »
My son Carter got this one in June at age 6.  It barely measured 10", but was a beast. 
Looking for JUMBO Perch, Crappie, and Bluegill

ShackRat

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2008, 10:21 PM »
yeah id say 8 and up is considered a decent gill around these parts (madison wisconsin)
PBR... the beer of the gods!

cubefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict

• Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2008, 11:36 PM »
That is the biggest bluegill I ever seen, I gotta get my wife out there fishing. The mount is super nice!!!!!!!!!

GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2008, 08:38 AM »
My dad and I caught a mess of Big gills this past sunday, 12 -13 in the 8" - 10" range Biggest and most we have ever caught at this lake. Also a 13" Crappie, and a 12" perch...We had an awesome day...I should be there fishing now instead of looking at a screen..hmmmm

BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2008, 09:33 AM »
My wife caught a big Bluegill a few years ago. It was 14 -1/2" and weighed 1lb 15oz on a certified scale. In almost 50 years of fishing I haven't seen one even close to that size. I had to get it mounted for her. It is a super fish. I'm going to try to post a photo of it. Hope it works

[/img]

Hey the wife should be more excited, that is a mudflap and a half, big gill.

10 inches is a trophy fish, any thing over 11 should be considered for the wall.

Personally I keep the gills to eat love em. anything over 8-8.5 meets hot oil. In lakes near wny there are some nice gill fisheries. Non stop action all day.There is generally no problems in harvesting a good batch to eat.

Last note, I have fished a private lake for bass and have had big gills wack lures like storm hot&tots, jr. thunderstick and 3.5 tubes. There are some tankers in this lake, but nothing in the 14 inch range.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2008, 10:27 AM »
My wife caught a big Bluegill a few years ago. It was 14 -1/2" and weighed 1lb 15oz on a certified scale. In almost 50 years of fishing I haven't seen one even close to that size. I had to get it mounted for her. It is a super fish. I'm going to try to post a photo of it. Hope it works

[/img]

[/img]

I caught one like that once up in the Boundary Waters of Minnesota, about the size and round like a Dinner Plate.  Wish I would of had a camera, that was close to 40 years ago!

juniatabassman

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #33 on: Jan 10, 2008, 02:11 PM »
wow those are some nice gills guys and girls keep up the good work. dont think i ever got one that big maybe nine.

thechief

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #34 on: Jan 10, 2008, 07:27 PM »

[/img]
All I  can say is WOW!!!!! 

4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 11, 2008, 04:16 AM »
Now that is a gill. holy cow   :o
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

DUCKDIGGLER

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2008, 05:28 AM »
Husky....first off congrats on a PIG! That's a hog for sure. I am glad to see others have the approach I do to this fishery.....put the slobs back to breed.

Now don't get me wrong I take my share of panfish....for the pan but I see no reason to take ALL the big fish "we" catch. It takes a long time for perch and gills to reach that size. I commend you on this!

Good fishing buddy!

C'mon cod snap....bring the "safe" ice back!

HB.....where to you normally roam in CT....I usually fish the NW corner....you?

Tight Lines Buddy!DD
"Feet Down and Bellys Up!!

Fishin is the Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2008, 06:12 AM »
Congrats on the nice 'gill.  That's big in anybody's book.  My personal best is just over 11"...which I released.  Great fishing.
Thanks, Dad, for taking the time to show me how to fish!!

Chuck

funk380

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2008, 06:53 AM »
10 inch gill is a nice catch in my eyes. We have several ponds that produce 10 inch gills all day long. I am waiting for a 11 inch to put on the wall. I caught 30 that were all 10 inches last friday. I was using a thin orange jig tipped with a waxy. I have also used a demon jig that was yellow with an orange head and a waxy.Have caught them on minnows also, they are pigs!

Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Jigging Nomad
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2008, 07:19 AM »
DuckDiggler,

I live in Glastonbury, so most of my ice trips are east of the CT River.  Your corner of the state is GREAT for ice fishing though.  Best of luck out there.

I am a big believer in selective harvest, especially on the bluegills over say 9".  One day I caught a bunch and kept 10 real nice ones.  WE will make a nice chowder this winter, but 80 plus % of the fish we catch will be released.   

Looking for JUMBO Perch, Crappie, and Bluegill

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Gearcor | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | Cabelas
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved