Author Topic: bringing fido on the ice  (Read 4429 times)

tstelick

bringing fido on the ice
« on: Jan 06, 2004, 09:27 AM »
My wife gave me a chocolate lab pup for christmas.  I would like to bring him ice fishing but I wonder if it is a good idea.  Are dogs just a big pain in the a$$ on the ice or do they enjoy it?  What do you guys and gals do.

grumpymoe

Re:bringing fido on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2004, 10:13 AM »
 i certainly dont mind dogs around as long as they dont disturb me. a pup can be awfully michevious and create alot of havoc with gear and shanty. i would wait until he gets abit older/and some training before taking him out icefishing. i'll bet he becomes your best fishing buddy  8) 8)

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2004, 10:17 AM »
The answer to both is Yes.  Of course they enjoy being out there with you.  but they are also a pain.  I have brought out my dog a few times, never as a pup, but I was not able to consentrate on fishing the way i would normally.  Always keeping a eye on the dog.  It is fun watching them run around and play.  Good time to set out a few tip ups and play fetch.  I would wait till your pup has learned basic commands  (come, sit stay)  because it will not be fun for anyone if you have to chase him all over the ice or if he is on a rope nocking everthing over.

missfishylicious

« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2004, 10:50 AM »
I dont addvise bringing out a pup it's just to much for one guy my hubby and I had a hard time keeping hooks out of my goldens mouth when she was little 3 times I had to pull hooks from her lips and the last one was a treble hook on a lure with two more hooks on it .I had to rip it throu the side of her toung before she started digging at it and hooked her foot.she was the puppy from hell we used to call her velasaraptor (spelling) now shes great I just ordered a sled dog harrness I'm going to teach her to pull my sled hee hee wait till she finds out ...awww the sweet taste of revenge  ;D ;D ;D

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2004, 10:55 AM »
Another thing to consider is that the pads on a puppies feet are very tender and therefore very sensitive to the cold. The puppy may not want to stay as long as you do in the cold weather that's predicted for the next week or so. It was the second winter before my black lab REALLY enjoyed being on the ice for a long time.
Pete Lewis

CTStriper

« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2004, 10:55 AM »
A well trained dog will not be a bother at all... I had my 15 week old chocolate on the ice for the first time last Wednesday and SHE LOVED IT ;D

missfishylicious

« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2004, 11:10 AM »
heres ginger and rudder the choc lab the following year .in answer to your second question  ;D

redneck

« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2004, 11:25 AM »
We take our dogs with us yes at times its a pain but it all worth it. Our oldest dog a springer is the best fishing buddy you'll find. Bark's when a flag goes up and is always the first one to it. Also keeps the kids for wanting to go home. Pull them in a sled it's just great. To keep them warm we have an old moving blanket they lay on.
Redneck

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2004, 11:30 AM »
Also watch out drilling holes had a dog on the ice one cold day while drilling holes dog got to close to the un frozen water. By the time we had the tip set the dogs pads where frozen to the ice . It does not take long sometimes. :-[ :-[

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2004, 11:32 AM »
I've always brought my dog out with me unless I know there will be other people with dogs.  I bring a pad for her to lay on so she is off the ice.  She loves it!  I'll have to get some pictures up here.  I have heard that walking on bare ice can be bad for their feet/tendons, but I never saw my dog have problems.  She even towed the sled a few times for me when the going was easy.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2004, 12:06 PM »
My 2 dogs are my constant ice fishing companions.  They are long haired and not affected by cold or wet (or anything for that matter).  I have been out with some dogs that get cold, do not want to stand on the ice anymore or just get board if you are not paying attention to them all the time (thus the 2 dog thing they keep each other busy).
Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2004, 12:08 PM »
If you eat Buffalo Wings on the ice..........don't throw the bones on the ice!!!!
Had a dog come up to us last year after we polished them off and we couldn't get the bones off the ice quick enough!!!! They couldn't have felt good coming out the other end!!!!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

CliffE

« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2004, 01:24 PM »
I would think you would wanna put some dog-booties on their feet for protection-frostbite ain't fun for anyone, dogs included.  Plus the traction issue.  Some dogs just won't complain, but that doesn't mean that they're not uncomfortable or in pain.

Offline Shaggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2004, 06:51 PM »
teach them while their young, if your bringing a pup on the ice, don't plan on doing alot of fishing until he gets used to it and listens good. But I would bring my pup if I had one.

aka Billy the Kid

« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2004, 07:02 PM »
NEVER, take your dog on the ice!! I watched a guy bring his Grand National Field Champion lab on the ice, to play a little "fetch"! The dog raced across the ice for a few minutes, then on the last toss, the dog stepped in a fishing hole and snapped his leg like a twig, not to mention, fracturing his whole FACE on the ice. Not a pretty sight, I'll tell ya that. Good thing he got his "grand national" title, earlier in the fall. ::) cause he NEVER ran field trials again. Also the fact of the dog, swallowing hooks, and all sorts of stuff, its hard to keep your eye on the dog the WHOLE time.

acsacmboy

« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2004, 07:53 PM »
missfishy
lol revenge is inevitable! ;D

Offline Nuke Ab

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If they're there,....... we'll get'm up!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2004, 10:28 PM »
Myself I do enjoy the two "mentals" that I own being on the ice with me from time to time, But needless to say when I want to get on with it the dogs just have to stay home. Lots of less legs in tip up lines Etc. My one dog would grab bags of maggies and take off with them and  then my mits and so on. My other dog has a thing for taking fish out of the live well. One time I was watching my friends dog and we went fishing, and my dogs were going crazy when the auger came out and so my friends dog " jumped" into the act..........and the day of fishing was over. The day at the vet began, and it was the single most expensive day of fishing ever. Chance (friends dog) was O.K. but he had a limp for a while and did I feel like an ass!!  So think about it if the dogs must come, they're fun and all but sht happens!
Tight lines!

lip ripper

« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2004, 10:43 PM »
i take my dog every time i go fishin summer and winter yeah she can be a pain in the @$$ but the days the fish arnt bitin it kills time trowing a tennis ball for her
p.s. still not as big of a pain as my sisters kids
Albertas Lip ripper

daves

« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2004, 10:56 PM »
 We must remember icefishing edicate for dogs.
#1. no barking from the pup.
#2. no peeing on other's tipups.
#3. no eating of perch.
#4. no chasing the tennis ball toward the feeder stream mouth.
#5. no bobbing in the bait bucket.
#6. no riding on the sled.
        -could go on and on-
My dog Mack was a great icefishing companion. Half blk.lab/ half rotweiller, he was always ready to go. This will be the first season without him, he'll be missed.

Offline afishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2004, 12:01 AM »
My fishing buddy is a black/white springer spaniel (Alex),he loves the cold. I fish public water that require the dogs be leased. It's a good idea to get them used to the lease early. I use an ice anchor and tie it so Alex can reach me and the sled but not the poles and the hooks and baits. This is his second season and he's always ready to go. Be very careful while you're drilling the holes, if the dog tries to join in and paws at the auger blades they can get pinched or cut. When you're not using the auger cap the blade or stand it up in a half drilled hole,one of my other dogs used it as a toy and cut a paw. To start take em for short trips, even if you don't fish much. After a few trips you'll be able to fish more and the pup will know what he can and can't do.ENJOY YOU PUP

missfishylicious

« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2004, 11:55 AM »
NEVER, take your dog on the ice!! I watched a guy bring his Grand National Field Champion lab on the ice, to play a little "fetch"! The dog raced across the ice for a few minutes, then on the last toss, the dog stepped in a fishing hole and snapped his leg like a twig, not to mention, fracturing his whole FACE on the ice. Not a pretty sight, I'll tell ya that. Good thing he got his "grand national" title, earlier in the fall. ::) cause he NEVER ran field trials again. Also the fact of the dog, swallowing hooks, and all sorts of stuff, its hard to keep your eye on the dog the WHOLE time.
 I'm always worried about this and check the ice were she's playing she stays right with us unless someone comes close to say hi she listens pretty good now  ;D

missfishylicious

« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2004, 12:02 PM »
afishinfool I didn't see you mention a bed or blanket something to keep him off the ice you should bring one for him there feet get cold and if he can't run around he probably does to  ;).we always bring a shanty and a piece of that foil board with a blanket on top so she can get warm when she's board  ;D

Mudbug

« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2004, 01:20 PM »
My buddies choco lab will yogi bear your food if your not watching. he loves to go ice fishing. i can always tell when my buddy is heading out to fish, cause you can hear the lab galloping across the ice. then all of a sudden a huge brown head lifts up the front of the fishtrap. looking for a pikanik basket to raid.  

Offline afishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2004, 11:01 PM »
missfishylicious     Alex has a thick bath rug, with a rubber back, that I take for him. When we're by ourselves I let him run loose and he just lays in the snow. My wife bought me a Jeep Wrangler this year and it doesn't have much room in it, so this year we go lite, so the huts have had to stay home. With as far as we have to drive to get to good ice we spend half our time driving. So we  usually only get  few hours on the ice. Alex thanks you for being concerned about his welfare. STAY WARM  afishingfool

Offline ovidgsd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2004, 11:51 PM »
Never been ice fishing once without him!

For me it comes down to two words - priorities and training.

Going everywhere with my boy is my #1 priority - this is why I brought him into my life, to be my ever present companion.  Not everyone who has a dog feels this way, and OF COURSE not everyone should.  If having the experience with your dog on the ice is top priority, then take him BUT train him.  If not, leave him home - b/c I PROMISE he will interfere with fishing some or alot.....

No matter how well trained, the dog will always been a pain in the ass at some point when fishing - but also pure joy to have around (again depending on your priorities).  For example, my dog's obedience puts the neighboorhood dogs to shame, but he still manages to set off flags and get the way from time to time (loves to eat ice around the holes).  This being said, the better the TRAINING the less pain in the ass the dog will be and the more fun and safe times will be had.

As your pup grows, his/her tolerance for the cold will grow too.  Regardless, very cold weather/conditions call for the right gear for the dog.  See homemade coat below and boots.  DON'T use boots on slick ice - they need their nails for traction.  

Email me any time about dog and fishing questions!  [email protected]

Ovid

If that dog sets off one more flag............!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2004, 04:30 AM »
bring your dog everytime you go!!!just like your friend and your kids , your dog will get used to the routine.he, or she, like your friend and or kids  will be a pain in the ass!but that wont last forever.your dog will love  it guaranteed!and so will you.if you are truly a dog lover,you will form a lifelong friendship that will outlast most of your buddies!!congrats on your new pup!

fishinnutinwis

« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2004, 07:15 AM »
awesome sheperd !  kids love it when we bring the dogS..they will pull the kids around on sleds for hours..but we only take em when theres snow cover...one thing tho-be curtious of other anglers_may not appreciate uninvited guests

captinjohn

« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2004, 07:55 AM »
I would say it depends how your dog behaves.  Some dogs may behave better than some people ;D   Ha!   Capt,n

missfishylicious

« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2004, 08:26 AM »
ovidgd I can't believe you can get your dog to wear those boots I'd be picking them up constantly I wish i could get my dog to keep something on her feet. nice coat you made him I made my last golden a coat out of a wool llb jacket just sewed a big diamond in the shoulders and shortend the sleaves but when she died I burried her in it wish I had saved it now for my new little girl :(

Offline ovidgsd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2004, 08:39 AM »
Got those boots at www.ruffwear.com - they'd be difficult for the dog to take off if he wanted, but possible of course. ::)  I made that coat with a double thick layer of polar tech from a fabric store - $8 ?  & 45min sewing - I'm sure your new little girl will have some thing soon .... ;)
If that dog sets off one more flag............!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.