Author Topic: People catch whitefish through the ice? Wow  (Read 17450 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
People catch whitefish through the ice? Wow
« on: Jan 04, 2004, 09:54 PM »
surprises me.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

mooseslayer

Re:People catch whitefish through the ice? Wow
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2004, 02:24 AM »
IN MY AREA WE CATCH WHITEFISH SUMMER AND WINTER.WE JIG THEM MUCH THE SAME AS LAKERS.BOUNCE A #7PIMPLE W/ A SNELLED #6 HOOK W/ CUTBAIT OFF THE BOTTOM. WE DO THE SAME FOR SUMMER. WE ALSO GET THEM ON TIP UPS WITH SMALL SMELT OR SHINERS W/#6 HOOK+ LIGHT  LEADER.

Offline taz54868

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2004, 08:52 PM »
its been about a week since i have been up their but were getting them out of long lake in washburn county on  pan fish jigs

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2004, 09:56 PM »
Didn't mean to offend anybody it just surprises me
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2004, 03:07 PM »
I catch most of my whitefish in the winter. It the primary time for me to catch them...I can catch em in the summer also but easier to locate and stay on them in the winter. We also bait em with pasta and stuff like that also. So it isn't offensive to me at all but if you can fish for em in the winter also then why not? Go to your fishing grounds where you catch em in the summer and fish g\for them On the ice.. (thats if it freezes where u live)
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2004, 03:48 PM »
hey germ what are some tips you can offer for locating whitefish?

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2004, 07:42 PM »
we have them in many rivers. They don't freeze like your eastern rivers though since they are narrow, deep, and fast. I am wondering if any go into our local reservoirs cuz the rivers dump into these reservoirs?

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2004, 07:06 AM »
Well fisherman jake i can gladly give ya some advice. Well here what i do in Simcoe is Find out where the lake trout are in the winter and usually i can target the Whitefish in the same spot. I usually fish for them In over 80 feet of water but have caught them in 40 feet near islands and in sort of on the outskirts of a flow to the bay. I Fish for them with 4 way spreader hook one minnow on each hook. I use salted dead minnows and live minnows 2 and 2. With my other rod i Jig with a Williams silver and gold and jig with that one. The spreader is put one inch from the bottom and on a TIp up. Whitefish Take the minnow and move up with it when it hits the minnow. SO when the TIp up goes up Grab and set hook. With the williams they will just hit it so just pulll tight when you feel it hit. In both cases im usually only 1 to 6 inches from the bottom depending on the bottom structure. If you can jake fish for them in the deepest part of where you fish. Same spots where you will hit your ling near the bottom that is but earlier in the day. has to be day time ive never caught em in the dark. Tight lines if you have any other questions regarding them jake then send me a email. [email protected]
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline crappieman12887

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love them crappies!!!!
Re: People catch whitefish through the ice? Wow
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2004, 07:29 PM »
whiteperch come on up all you want.any you guys fished scotchbonnet you will know what i am talk about .champlain.never see your sinker alday tight line .yank and crank.they drive you crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy.. .........

Offline Grimace

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ive Had It
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2005, 11:08 PM »
hey troutfishingbear are those are rocky mountain whitefish your getting right.
germ is talking about lake whitefish.

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2005, 08:06 PM »
whitefish are also called sheepshead right i think i used to cacth them on lake champlain in the summer are the edibal?

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2005, 08:13 PM »
hey troutfishingbear are those are rocky mountain whitefish your getting right.
germ is talking about lake whitefish.

yeah, mountain whitefish. They live in streams only, never lakes. So that makes it so we can never icefish for em. When they spawn we can get one every cast on flies or lures though if ya know where to go. Of course that is open water.

Whitefish taste disgusting :P
edit: I had some whitefish I really liked. They taste very good around here unless they are spawning I think, which is when I tried em before. of course, many fish are disgusting when spawning so...

Offline slayingm

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Just Hav2Fish!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2005, 08:41 PM »
Hi Guys,

Actually Whitefish are excellent eating both pan fried, baked and especially smoked.  I have taken a number of good ones from various lakes on the hard water this year on Jigg'n Raps and small spoons.  Here are a couple of pics..

I will be out this Wednesday for them and have some clients coming up from Ohio on Friday and hope to get them into some bigg'ns.

Take care,

Greg.
*Removed*

Offline Calgary Jazz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2005, 08:52 PM »
 Hi everybody, I am new to whitefish fishing in North America. We used to catch some back in Europe but we mainly were using russian mormyshka's. Here as I noticed you have way bigger fish so I am having quite a doubts about using my old tiny Eastern European gear. Anybody has any experience in using mormyshkas for whitefish???

Offline cheffy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2005, 02:17 AM »

I guess it all depends where you are fishing in North America.In central Alberta the lure of choice is the wireworm.This is basically a plain "J" hook wrapped with various colored wire.You fish this in a horizontal position 1-6 inches off the bottom in fairly shallow water.(4-15 ft of water) In central Canada you use a baited lure in much deeper water. So without more info on where abouts you live there are only very general things that can be said.

Good Fishing&Tight Lines

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2005, 06:33 PM »
WOW that whirefish is as big as the laker whats it 25 inches or bigger? iI have caught Whitefish upto 20" through the ice but not many :) because I am not targeting them..
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Calgary Jazz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2005, 12:13 PM »
          I guess it all depends where you are fishing in North America.In central Alberta the lure of choice is the wireworm.This is basically a plain "J" hook wrapped with various colored wire.You fish this in a horizontal position 1-6 inches off the bottom in fairly shallow water.(4-15 ft of water) In central Canada you use a baited lure in much deeper water. So without more info on where abouts you live there are only very general things that can be said.

Good Fishing&Tight Lines

Thanks, maybe you could offer where to try to find whitefish around Calgary? I tried Travers reservoir yesterday, caught some  pikes , but no whitefish:(. Tried different  places from 3 to 30 feet, pikes were biting around 15-18 ft.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2005, 09:03 AM »
whitefish are also called sheepshead right i think i used to cacth them on lake champlain in the summer are the edibal?

Shrub: They are two completely different fish.

Lake whitefish have an overhung mouth and average 12"-26". Found in the Great Lakes & other deep cold inland lakes. Excellent eating.

Sheepshead also are known as freshwater drum. Average 18"-22". Generally found in large shallow waterbodies with sand or mud bottoms. Particularly the lower Great Lakes. Not known for their eating qualities.

Best Wishes

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Boob Dinkelman

« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2006, 10:40 AM »
Great Lakes Whitefish is my favorite fish of all to eat!!! Yummm!

I'm about 2 hours S. of Lake Superior.   Anyone ice fish 'em up there?

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2006, 10:53 AM »
I have not iced fished them in past years, but I might this year. Normally I fish for them off the Government Pier in Marquette's Harbor. They are a blast to catch, that's for sure! They eat pretty good too.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2006, 10:44 AM »
I live in New Brunswick, Canada and our tactics are totally different to what you guys use.  I chum roughly a week before I fish with Barely, Rice small pieces of fish and macaroni.  Unfortunately our Lake here is roughly 27-35 feet deep with a muddy bottom for the majority of it Water is very stained.  We fish whitefish directly on bottom no jiggin' we play the waiting game!!!  I use size 12 to 16 hooks tips with a single egg or pikerel eggs or a small piece of Sucker meat.  We have a tournament comin up in 2 weeks, and last year i was fortunate enough to win second place whitefish with a fish weighing 946 grams.  I got this one about a foot off bottom jiggin for Smelt.  I registered one thr weekend before that weighing 942 grams.  I got beat the 2nd weekend by my buddy he nailed a monster for our lake 1225 grams. 

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2006, 01:03 PM »
I live in New Brunswick, Canada and our tactics are totally different to what you guys use.  I chum roughly a week before I fish with Barely, Rice small pieces of fish and macaroni.  Unfortunately our Lake here is roughly 27-35 feet deep with a muddy bottom for the majority of it Water is very stained.  We fish whitefish directly on bottom no jiggin' we play the waiting game!!!  I use size 12 to 16 hooks tips with a single egg or pikerel eggs or a small piece of nuts Sucker meat.  We have a tournament comin up in 2 weeks, and last year i was fortunate enough to win second place whitefish with a fish weighing 946 grams.  I got this one about a foot off bottom jiggin for Smelt.  I registered one thr weekend before that weighing 942 grams.  I got beat the 2nd weekend by my buddy he nailed a monster for our lake 1225 grams. 

That's the same method we use to fish whitefish, except we dont have to chum until we get there. We use salmon eggs, which are naturally drifting around in the lake anyhow. I use a 14 foot noodle rod with the smallest salmon egg hook I can find, followed up by a slipsinker rig. You keep the tip of the rod moving up and down, it's the only way to feel them bite. Usually I'll cast as far as I can get, and slowly pull it back in.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.