Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 537593 times)

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #2160 on: Jul 09, 2015, 09:02 PM »
It's been in the 100's for a few weeks, heck yeah I've been thinking about ice.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2161 on: Jul 09, 2015, 11:59 PM »
As my gram used to say a short spring and a hot summer = a heavy winter and if that happens some of us are going to be drilling though a foot of ice plus 6 inches of snow if not more
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2162 on: Jul 10, 2015, 05:29 PM »
WOW !     There is life in North Idaho.     :thumbsup:

I see ice right now !     In my near empty glass.    More tea.     ;)2

I hope your Gram's words come to see us the up-coming season, Rayne.     :bow:

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2163 on: Jul 13, 2015, 08:18 AM »
Well for 23 years of my life she has never been wrong  about things
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2164 on: Jul 13, 2015, 12:21 PM »

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2165 on: Jul 13, 2015, 03:30 PM »
So idahogator go a question  do you ever icefished  Pend Oreille lake and if so where/what did you get

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2166 on: Jul 15, 2015, 08:26 PM »
So, Idahogator got a question:  Do you ever ice-fish  Pend Oreille Lake, and if so, where/what did you get ?

I hope you were not driving as you punched that in.     :woot:     ( I know it's a challenge doing that with a phone).   ::)

Yup, I've fished it lots, just not with any luck at all in the last 4 years. Down Sunnyside way, uncountable perch, some really jumbos, 5 to 7 years ago.  Then, the weed control  changed the natural structure of 'weeds' to nil. The smallies and walleyes , according to several reports, are eating the fry perch.  Spongy ice and dink perch kept me off there these past few years. 

With the completion of the Sandpoint Bypass, parking is nonexistent for access to ice by 'The Condos'.  But, with a bit of a hike, limited parking can be found at/on 3rd Street.

The dock system at Dover Bay is open to the public year round and a short cast puts it in DEEP water and there have been some line rippers of 'pan to oven' sized trout taken or lost. 

The recently opened Pend Oreille Bay Trail gives you access at the East end, near Black Rock and when there is good ice, 20' of water can be just a short walk out over smallies.  There's more ~ I'm still thinkin', ha.     ;)2

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2167 on: Jul 16, 2015, 12:58 PM »
Thanks for the info,it's a shame the lake has been so bad the last few year, I'll have to find another way to get lake trout and white fish off my personal list of fish to get

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2168 on: Jul 16, 2015, 02:27 PM »
Well, that could be done from a boat.   Maybe you could loiter some of the marinas & ask for a ride ?      :angel

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2169 on: Jul 16, 2015, 03:46 PM »
That would be sweet just one question what gear do I need for both

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2170 on: Jul 18, 2015, 11:51 AM »
Hm, good question and there are many opinions.  Best ask around some of the marinas near Hope.   

A lot can be learned by taking just one "Charter" trip.  Yikes, $$$$     And have a way to take notes, as there are many little details to absorb.

Good luck.     ;)2

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2171 on: Jul 28, 2015, 07:03 PM »
So question for all what size hook/type do you use for pike me I use a size 6-2 treble hooks but I'm thinking of using a circle hooks and a quick strike rigs. Now on my tip ups my line is 17lb-50lb test line.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2172 on: Jul 29, 2015, 03:25 PM »
If you haven't checked this link, best include it in your plans.      ;)2

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=39.0

Offline Packernut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2173 on: Aug 18, 2015, 09:27 PM »
Hello all, 

I can not believe people are thinking about ice fishing right now.  It sure was a short season for me last year.  I did manage to get a marcum ice fish finder for my birthday in February but had no ice to use it.  I thought I would share some great fishing on Banks Lake out of Electric City, I had last week with AJ's dad.  We post on Washingtonlakes.com.  We caught 77 fish on Saturday.  57 walleye, 10 nice 10 inch perch and 10 smallie fishing bottom bouncers with Mack's smile blades. We fished off the weeds in 10-40 feet of water and caught fish all day.  Going to take my dad back this Saturday.  If anyone has the itch it is worth the drive out of Spokane about 2 hours.  Hot spots posted on Washington.lakes post by AJ's dad.

Packernut

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2174 on: Aug 19, 2015, 11:59 AM »
That would be fun and all but I can't fish out of Idaho  (cost to much for a out of state license for me with how much I make now)

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2175 on: Sep 20, 2015, 04:38 PM »
Banks is always pretty good, a trip there in summer is always productive focusing on the humps.  Potholes is good too, mid may out at crab creek is probably the best walleye fishing I've ever had, except where I live now of course :P

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2176 on: Sep 20, 2015, 04:59 PM »
DANG!    Have we lost you F_L ?     :(

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2177 on: Sep 21, 2015, 03:05 PM »
lol, yeah I'm out in Wisconsin now. The better half needed to relocate to get another degree.  I said no problem.

No worries though, there is plans in the works to make it back to Cascade for the hardwater classic again, hopefully it will work out!  I still like to stop in from time to time to see what's happening with you guys, Idaho definitely made an impression on me.  I will be back to stay, hopefully in the next 10 years.

Can't complain about the ice opportunities out here though, i live about 3/4 mile from a boat launch on a walleye lake so no elk...but man is there fishing!  Be safe out there this year guys/gals and hopefully I'll see some of you on the ice late January!

Offline gillsonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2178 on: Nov 24, 2015, 07:34 AM »
Wake up North Idaho, lack of snow allowed me to visit one of the higher elevation lakes in boundary county yesterday and I found 2 1/2 inches of nice hard clear ice! wife and I caught our limit of smallish trout, nothing big but hey we walked on water and Man did is feel good! Checked the usual suspects in perkins, dawson, smith, and all just have edge skim so it will be awhile yet. Anyone else have any good news?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2179 on: Nov 25, 2015, 12:07 AM »
Ice is starting to form at on Avondale lake right in the shallow bays

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2180 on: Nov 25, 2015, 07:07 AM »
If the forecast holds, things are looking good.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2181 on: Nov 25, 2015, 06:51 PM »
East end of fernan is freezing just seen photos  (end with the newish bridge)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2182 on: Nov 25, 2015, 07:53 PM »
We're so close.      :clap:

Stay on top.     ;)2

:icefish:

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2183 on: Nov 26, 2015, 08:37 AM »
I checked out Round lake yesterday (wed.) still 100% open water.   I expected a little ice anyway.   A watched pot, never boils....

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2184 on: Nov 27, 2015, 12:08 AM »
The blades are getting sharpened for the ice auger. My gear is together. Now all we need is ice. :bow:

sihlms391

« Reply #2185 on: Nov 27, 2015, 12:17 PM »
Ponds in Blanchard frozen over.  Didn't check how thick.

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2186 on: Nov 27, 2015, 01:52 PM »
I will check some ice thickness early next week.  Boundary Co.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2187 on: Nov 27, 2015, 03:15 PM »
I'll hopefully  check Blanchard lake this weekend for how thick it is  and if there is safe ice I might do a little fishing

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2188 on: Nov 29, 2015, 01:15 PM »
Anybody checked Fernan or Hauser?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2189 on: Nov 29, 2015, 02:50 PM »
Hayden lake (sportsman's access  is 25% frozen
Avondale   3/4 frozen 
Both thin ice don't go on it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.