Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 429307 times)

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #2250 on: Jan 24, 2015, 05:46 AM »
I believe the first year there weren't quite 40 that caught 50 fish. Around 100 teams caught less than 25 (2013 fished individuals).
Last year teams 182 to 236 didn't weigh.  Could have caught fish and not weighed, or not came to the tourny.
If I'm reading the chart correctly the top 25 teams last year got guaranteed prizes.  1st placed was 10.78lbs  25th was 6.71 LBS.
If you aren't willing to move I personally wouldn't even attempt big lake.  Combined for pre-fishing the day before and then fishing the day of the tourney I'd be willing to bet my partner and I drilled between 250 and 300 holes!  Day of the tournament we caught less than 70 combined.  First year we were on little lake (separate but near you could say) and sat on our first 2 holes all day catching well over 100 each we were about the closest people to the boat ramp.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2251 on: Jan 24, 2015, 08:50 AM »
Its possible but not quite as simple as it sounds.  You find em you catch em but they don't stay put.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2252 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:24 AM »
You'll get all you want there. If your on Facebook "like" the kabeles page. They are wonderful at posting daily reports and plenty of pictures!

Yes, they do a good job of posting updates. Unfortunately, they screwed my family out of our last night of lodging this summer. Our party had 2 rooms reserved for a week. Somehow they overbooked our one room the last night. They were willing to shove all 6 of us in the 1 bedroom we had remaining which would not have worked with Grandparents & our two 7 yr olds. This was all they offered. She also wasn't willing to discount the last room that we never stayed in. So, we cut our vacation short a day & went home.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2253 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:31 AM »
Also, to any of you new guys. Do not drive your vehicle through the narrow channel between the Big Lake and the Little Lake (McIntosh). It looks inconspicuous but is a danger to vehicles as the ice is not as thick thru there. Also, close to the narrows in the big lake to the N can be a tricky place to drive as well. If you want to change to big lake or vise versa, you are better off to drive off either lake and take the roadways around to access the other.

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2254 on: Jan 24, 2015, 01:22 PM »
Also, to any of you new guys. Do not drive your vehicle through the narrow channel between the Big Lake and the Little Lake (McIntosh). It looks inconspicuous but is a danger to vehicles as the ice is not as thick thru there. Also, close to the narrows in the big lake to the N can be a tricky place to drive as well. If you want to change to big lake or vise versa, you are better off to drive off either lake and take the roadways around to access the other.

How true that is Melrose, stay away from the channel.  A few years ago a guy drove through the channel, went in and drowned.

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2255 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:11 PM »
You'll get all you want there. If your on Facebook "like" the kabeles page. They are wonderful at posting daily reports and plenty of pictures!

Top notch place on the IGL's and excellent people.  Been staying there for the past 6 years and look forward to it everytime, being it be ice fishing or open water fishing.  Their prices on fishing items a lot of the times are better than you can get at big name stores as well. 

Hit clear lake today with the old man.  We brought home 77 yellows. 

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2256 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:40 PM »
Alot of guys pull there shacks off?

Offline bluefin75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2257 on: Jan 25, 2015, 03:50 PM »
a buddy an I will be fishing the yellow bass bonanza as well. hoping for a good turn out for us but it will be our first time there so we will see how it goes good luck to everyone an tight lines!

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2258 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:36 PM »
Should be a good turn out, it's a full field.

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2259 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:56 PM »
Heading up tomorrow again.  Hoping I get on the yellows like I did on Saturday.

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2260 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:04 PM »
Lots of guys out yesterday and today and a lot of talk of the bonanza. The crappie bite was good,fished 21FOW and did well. Buckshot with a plastic maki or a waxie seemed to keep their interest. 13 inch was the largest. A few pulled shacks off today. We left ours. Will see what am nature decides to do this week. Also watched a few drive over to the big lake.
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2261 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:35 PM »
Ybb posted the boundaries. Now if only i knew how to read the contour lines to put me on the yellow bass hahah :)

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2262 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:25 PM »
Well as usual, some putz drove between the two lakes yesterday and put their truck in.  How many times do people have to hear DON'T drive between the lakes. 

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2263 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:37 PM »
i wonder if it was an older brown f-150. i watched that truck drive through twice. once on saturday and once on sunday

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2264 on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:31 AM »
Tracksnorth. I know exactly who you are talking about. Sunday he was all over the place

Offline oldman60

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2265 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:17 AM »
yep . saw the same truck drive threw there too .. thought he was crazy

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2266 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:12 AM »
Hahahahaha interesting

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2267 on: Jan 28, 2015, 05:45 PM »
It wouldn't take much to put up signs, the snowmobiles could still get through.
Here's why you shouldn't drive through the channel.

http://globegazette.com/news/local/duty-to-a-brother-ventura-man-s-body-recovered-from/article_f0044bd1-de06-5fb9-ba57-a33e80a94616.html

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2268 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:25 PM »
i wonder if it was an older brown f-150. i watched that truck drive through twice. once on saturday and once on sunday

He seems to be out there every day, or everytime I am out there!!  Not sure they even fish just drive all over the place.

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2269 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:15 PM »
Hahahaha yeah that's absurd. Come to think of it I never saw the guy wet a line

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2270 on: Jan 29, 2015, 04:48 PM »
Pretty sad the DNR can put up thin ice signs every year from the pumphouse aerator to Dodges Point.  But not put any near the channel?  What gives?  Every year someone goes thru near there.  Next year it will be marked.  Avoid narrow areas in any lake like the plague and you will be fine.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2271 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:56 PM »
Anyone notice anything different with the fish fillets this season?? The yellows and Crappies I've kept this ice season seem to have a really strong muddy odor. Never seen it before. The fillets have a more soft texture. Thawed a bag of crappies out last night and they smelled muddy...Decided to put them in saltwater overnight. Went to fry today and they're all mushy/Literally falling apart. Never seen this before. Fish were caught...Placed in bucket...Cleaned a few hours after I got home then frozen immediately afterwards. 

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2272 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:08 PM »
I sure haven't noticed anything. Heck of a point crappie buster!!!

Offline mrmike113

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2273 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:08 PM »
We caught 16 crappies the other day same thing tasted nasty.

Offline SouthBear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2274 on: Jan 30, 2015, 07:09 PM »
I haven't noticed but I haven't froze any. I ate them same
Day or within a few days. Was the muddy flavor only with previously frozen?

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2275 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:07 PM »
I'm heading out tomorrow ill let some freeze and some ill keep in water and see if i taste a difference. provided they bite of course.

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2276 on: Feb 02, 2015, 06:03 PM »
Starting to get my stuff all gathered for this weekend!! Pretty pumped to fish Saturday and Sunday. Hope the fish are biting better than they are where I live. Dealing with some really stuburn fish right now! Did you guys get a bunch of snow like the eastern part of the state got??

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2277 on: Feb 02, 2015, 06:06 PM »
Not a whole lot of snow. 8" or so. By this weekend it oughta be good to go.

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2278 on: Feb 02, 2015, 07:43 PM »
I hope they bite well.  I took a group of 6 including myself on Saturday.  I'd guess we ended with 300.  Kept about 70.  Plenty of small ones

Offline 69camaro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2279 on: Feb 02, 2015, 08:00 PM »
How is the ice up there? Debating on bringing my side by side or borrowing a four wheeler for the ybb.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.