Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 430529 times)

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #2160 on: Oct 20, 2014, 01:03 PM »
Yellow bass aren't bad.....Don't know if they taste like a perch though. The size is way down in Clear Lake the past few years hopefully this year they are big enough to make a fillet.  Was pretty pitiful last year had the numbers but not the size.  That's fishing though ;D

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2161 on: Oct 20, 2014, 09:40 PM »
Yellow bass aren't bad.....Don't know if they taste like a perch though. The size is way down in Clear Lake the past few years hopefully this year they are big enough to make a fillet.  Was pretty pitiful last year had the numbers but not the size.  That's fishing though ;D

I serched up on them, sounds like the meat is white and flaky. Pretty good eating I guess. However, they sound like they grow fast to about 6in in 1-2years, and then it takes time to get them bigger to the 8-12 range. Kinda almost like a bluegill. First 6in comes easy next 6inches takes forever.

to bad the DNR cant breed a fish which reproduces like a yellow bass, tasted like perch, grew to 12inches in 2-3 YEARS, hit jigs like a crappie, and was easy to find like a bluegill.     

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2162 on: Oct 21, 2014, 08:23 PM »
They are a fine eating fish but a rarity to get any with size to them. 

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2163 on: Oct 21, 2014, 08:47 PM »
to bad the DNR cant breed a fish which reproduces like a yellow bass, tasted like perch, grew to 12inches in 2-3 YEARS, hit jigs like a crappie, and was easy to find like a bluegill.   
They do. It's called a yellow bass.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2164 on: Oct 22, 2014, 06:40 PM »
They do. It's called a yellow bass.

According to what i've read to get a yellow bass to 12inches it would take about 5years of perfect growth not one or two. Most only reach 9in and are at end of life cycle then that's 4inches short of a 12inch fish.

In Iowa, yellow bass grow rapidly, reaching an average of 4 inches in the first year, 7 inches the second, 9 inches the third and 10 inches at the end of the fourth year of life. Both sexes mature at age III and few adults live beyond 4 or 5 years. Being the smallest sized fish in the temperate bass family in the state, yellow bass rarely exceed three-fourths pound in weight. The largest specimen taken by angling weighed 1 pound, 5 ounces, and was caught from Clear Lake, and a specimen of equal weight was caught in a gravel pit in Blackhawk

Similar with the white bass, the yellow bass is known for being a schooling fish, relating to bottom structures more in comparison with the white bass. As far as their reproduction is concerned, they spawn from March until May as water temperatures approach 60 degrees. They prefer spawning over rocky gravel areas with water currents or circulation. The eggs are adhesive and sink as they are fertilized. In 4 to 6 days, the eggs hatch. These fish are known for being slow growers, reaching 4-5 inches the first year and growing only 1-2 inches per year thereafter. They reach sexual maturity (6-7 inches) in two years. The young fish feed primarily on fish, crustaceans, and insects. Adults often eat large quantities of fish, and may even cannibalize their own young. Schools are most often found in midwater or near the surface.
The yellow bass enjoys eating insects, crayfish, shad and small minnows. The most efficient lures used for fishing yellow bass are considered to be jigs, spinners, worms, minnows, small crankbaits and spoons. The meat quality of the yellow bass is quite good. The meat is white, firm and flaky. The red meat along the lateral line may taste a bit “fishy” so its removal will enhance table quality for many people.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clear Laker
« Reply #2165 on: Oct 22, 2014, 08:07 PM »
You've really been studying up on those yellows. Yellow bass aren't stunted in all lakes. Go fish East Lake, there's a good year class and I bet you could catch 100 8-9 inchers in a day easy right now. There's plenty of meat on an 8 inch yellow. Maybe you ought to go try catching a few of them.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Clear Laker
« Reply #2166 on: Oct 23, 2014, 08:36 PM »
You've really been studying up on those yellows. Yellow bass aren't stunted in all lakes. Go fish East Lake, there's a good year class and I bet you could catch 100 8-9 inchers in a day easy right now. There's plenty of meat on an 8 inch yellow. Maybe you ought to go try catching a few of them.

its fall.....doesnt work to fish with my job in fall.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2167 on: Oct 23, 2014, 08:55 PM »
I'm in the same line of work as you are. There's time to fish in the fall. That excuse only works during spring!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2168 on: Oct 23, 2014, 09:47 PM »
I'm in the same line of work as you are. There's time to fish in the fall. That excuse only works during spring!

If I did have time, I'd be chasing waldo.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2169 on: Oct 26, 2014, 11:06 AM »
Before Black Hawk Lake was killed off and renovated,  it consistently produced 9" fish, and it wasn't uncommon to catch them past 11". So, there are instances where they aren't stunted. They were a major problem in this lake, in addition to the carp and shad.  But, it was fun to get 100 fish in a day, that's for sure.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2170 on: Nov 22, 2014, 11:39 PM »
Ice conditions?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2171 on: Nov 23, 2014, 12:36 AM »
Went this afternoon.  5 1/2 inches where I fished on the little lake. Temp rose from 35 to darn near 50 and the wind picked up also.  Sunday night it is going to get cold and start making ice again.  If you go out exercise extreme caution.

Offline notime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2172 on: Dec 06, 2014, 06:28 PM »
bump

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2173 on: Dec 08, 2014, 03:17 PM »
Dnr report said 5-7 inches on little lake.  And main lake around 4 inches with areas of open water yet.  Last time I was there the bite was pretty bad. Lots of lookers that were probably very very small yellow bass.  And some borderline keepable crappies.  And a few dink eyes.  Which is pretty typical of Clear Lake in the winter.  Hasn't been to productive of a lake hardwater in the past 4 years.  If you don't mind filleting 5-6 inch yellow bass and 7-8 inch crappies you could maybe eek out a meal.

Offline jon1023

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2174 on: Dec 08, 2014, 03:33 PM »
Went over the weekend, never fished it. Was on the little lake probably caught around 5-10 yellows that were not to big, 1 walleye about 8 inches and a perch the same size lol. Caught them all in 15ft. Went out to 20ft where some other guys were and didnt even mark a fish, guys we talked to in 20fow caught 1 fish when we talked to them. Lots of lookers in 15fow but not alot of takers.

Offline tsmith17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2175 on: Dec 08, 2014, 05:22 PM »
Sounds like fun!  Well, definitely more fun than working!  I'm looking to go try it one of these next few weekends.  When do you guys feel comfortable bringing out the big rigs (trucks)?  I would have thought that with the temps last week that the lake should be making good ice.  I see some of these temps coming that are above freezing and idk.  Wish it would just stay cold.  Would also like to get your opionions on other spots to go an try around North Iowa.  Rice Lake in Lake Mills is no good for the next few years as they killed it off last Winter.  Same with Silver lake up by Northwood.  I have heard good things about crappie and bluegill down to Crystal Lake though.  That is on my list of lakes to hit up this season.  Any other places?  What about that little Bluebill pond right off of I-35 East of Clear Lake or Fin and Feather south of Mason?

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2176 on: Dec 08, 2014, 08:26 PM »
Last I heard someone broke through at Crystal last weekend and the lake opened up. With warmer temps this week our local lakes may be following. There were some 10-12 inch craps being taken out of the little lake last week but lots of sorting. Gotta keep moving to find the quality yellows...Lots of 5 inch nibblers...Keep moving till you find some bigger fish....Spoons tend to land the bigger yellows...Little yellows don't show much interest in them

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2177 on: Dec 10, 2014, 03:19 PM »
Once its a consistant 11-12 inches people tend to start driving out. May have to wait a lil longer this year with the 50s coming up junking out the ice.  crapty white ice is 1/2 strength they say.  Already have a few inches of that stuff with more to follow.  If we are driving out by the new year it will be a miracle.  Wish itd get cold and stay cold.  November was a tease!

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2178 on: Dec 11, 2014, 12:48 AM »
Heading out tomorrow morning to fish bluebill before the warm temps arrive. Looking for some good perch fishing in area lakes but that is very hard to find. Will let everyone kno how we do.

Offline coonripper

• IceShanty Rookie
Clear lake, little lake, Ventura marsh
« Reply #2179 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:57 AM »
Want to head there next week while the boy is on xmas break and no wrestling practice. Any ice condition reports would be great.... Thank you

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2180 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:00 PM »
Wondering what the ice thickness is on little lake? I doubt anybody is driving out yet

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #2181 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:01 PM »
No way dude, Im hearing a soft 4-6

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2182 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:03 PM »
I figured. Mother nature is being a tough one this year

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2183 on: Dec 19, 2014, 04:44 PM »
Is Little Clear Lake doable tomorrow 12/20? Walking, of course.
What about the Big Lake  off MacIntosh ?
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2184 on: Dec 20, 2014, 05:15 AM »
I'd venture to say it would be mjmeyer I live in osage and fish clear lake four or five times a month. Bring picks though and it's been slow,mostly dinks
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2185 on: Dec 20, 2014, 10:22 PM »
6 inches of solid clear ice. Not uncomfortable at all. A good 40 people on the ice.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2186 on: Dec 20, 2014, 10:38 PM »
Outstanding!! Any luck? Unfortunately I'm in Tennessee right now then NC then Florida or else I'd be fishing

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2187 on: Dec 21, 2014, 10:05 AM »
It was slow yesterday. Hope you do better today.

Offline fishing nut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2188 on: Dec 22, 2014, 06:07 PM »
Hey tracks north I'm also from Osage and would like to get over to the lake and fish a little. PM me and maybe we can help each other find the hot spots.

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2189 on: Dec 23, 2014, 12:54 PM »
Message sent.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.