Author Topic: Bluegill recipes  (Read 22658 times)

Offline thewalleyewhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bluegill recipes
« on: Dec 18, 2007, 12:12 PM »
  Hard to beat  a hot pan and butter -BUT-  sometimes a guy needs some variety (the fishing has been good,  so I need the variety!).  I know I can find some recipes by searching old posts, but this site grows in membership all the time, so there are many new members who may want to contribute also.  Lets hear them everyone!
   One I would like to try is boiling and dipping in butter (or cocktail sauce which I don't really like).  Anyone do that with fillets? -or do you need to boil the whole fish for some reason?

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Re: Bluegill recipes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2007, 12:50 PM »
Bass Pro has a book called Fish Done Rite that has a lot of great recipes .

A good way to cook them is fry the fillet the usual method once they are half cooked add just enough cream to go half way up the fillet add a few shallots and just enough Worcestershire sauce to color the cream , ENJOY !

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:12 PM »
"Poor Man's Shrimp"
- Perch or panfish fillets rinsed and cut into pieces (about 2" square)
- place fillets a few at a time in a strainer and blanch them until white in a 2 quart saucepan of slow boiling water. (Don't over cook)
- place prepared pieces in a large bowl of ice water to cool
- remove cooled pieces to a platter and keep cold till served.

I like to season the boiling water with Old Bay, salt and pepper.

Serve with drawn butter or cocktail sauce.

YUM!
RG

D
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline radzicto

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happiness is a big gutpile.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:21 PM »
Panfish Souffle:
butter the bottom of a lasagna pan.
fry enough of any white fish in a pan with oil, cover bottom of the lasagna pan with fish.
whip stiff 4 egg whites, add 2 cups of mayo, 2 oz of heavy cream, 8 oz Cheddar shredded, blend.
pour over fish, bake at 325-350 till it fluff's up and gets golden on top.
It's rich and tends to burn if you rush it, eating that is. Reheats well.
Check your cholesterol if you must. Enjoy.  ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D 

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:23 PM »
Always make fishcakes from white flakey fish such as perch or bluegills when I don’t bread and deep fry them.  
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:26 PM »
I'll always go with a good old standard beer batter in hot oil as my favorite.  It's just flour, sugar, salt, pepper, and beer.  Battered crappie fillets turn out very light and somewhat flaky - even kids will eat them when cooked like that.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:32 PM »
This is making me hungry ! lol

I think it's time for a Recipe thread all to itself !!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:36 PM »
"Poor Man's Shrimp"
- Perch or panfish fillets rinsed and cut into pieces (about 2" square)
- place fillets a few at a time in a strainer and blanch them until white in a 2 quart saucepan of slow boiling water. (Don't over cook)
- place prepared pieces in a large bowl of ice water to cool
- remove cooled pieces to a platter and keep cold till served.

I like to season the boiling water with Old Bay, salt and pepper.

Serve with drawn butter or cocktail sauce.

YUM!
RG

D

Sounds good, what is "drawn butter"?

Offline mr niceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:51 PM »
Sounds good, what is "drawn butter"?

Also known as clarified butter. Unsalted butter which has been melted and skimmed of milk solids.

Offline Jim_R

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' Partner
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2007, 02:15 PM »
I'm in the middle of pickling some fillets right now.  I'll have to let you know how it goes.

Hardwater...is there any other?

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2007, 02:32 PM »
Complete Pancake mix will also work great for fish, if you check ingredients its very close to the self made,and its easy and very,very easy and good.
Tom
Tom

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2007, 04:03 PM »
Gill and Perch are good this way .
Place the filet's in an oven safe dish cover with cream of mushroom soup , sprinkle with sharp cheddar and pop it in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes on 350 , very simple yet tasty .

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2007, 04:12 PM »
I just pat the fillets dry with a paper towel. Then dip them in scrambled egg. Next coat them with Italian seasoned bread crumbs and deep fry till golden brown. I mix dill relish with mayonnaise for a dipping sauce.  sometimes I will cut them into shrimp size strips and coat them with plain bread crumbs, deep fry and serve with my favorite cocktail sauce and enjoy them like breaded shrimp. I'm hitting the lake tomorrow and I'm planning to cook up a pile of fillets.

Offline funk380

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2007, 04:21 PM »
crushed crackers,some flour,salt,pepper.  Put a couple eggs in a pie pan stir in a little honey. Roll fish in egg then into cracker and flour mix. Fry till golden then top fillets with a little honey before serving. This is a walleye recipe but i use it on all fish, my kids love it.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2007, 06:43 PM »
Drawn Butter is cooled melted butter.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2007, 07:48 PM »
Also known as clarified butter. Unsalted butter which has been melted and skimmed of milk solids.

Verry good...Mr Niceguy... you must have a copy of the Food Lovers Companion :)

One of my favorite "not fried" recipes. Feeds normal family of four or one of us "Glutoness Slobs" ;D

*Boneless filets from 12 nice 'Gills.
*1/2 stick Unsalted Butter in Clarified state (melted to liquid)
*1/2 lb. Pancetta or (Apple Smoked Bacon) chopped
*1 lb. Fresh Spinach
*1/4 lb. Pecorino Romano (Parmesan) Cheese grated
*2 cup Panko Crumbs or (any FRESH Bread Crumbs)
*2 lbs. Par-Boiled Red Skin Potatoes thinly sliced
* Salt & Freshly GroundPepper to prefrence

Put 1/2 of the clarified butter into medium mixing bowl. Put the potatoes in and toss with salt and pepper. Place in caserole dish big enough to overlap slightly. Put another 1/2 cup clarified into bowl and toss in the 'Gill Filets. Place the fish evenly over the potatoes. Place in Fridge... or you can multi task the other step ;)

Cook off the Pancetta in another pan until almost done. Toss in the Fresh Spinach, Herbs, Bread Crumbs and Cheese. Cook for another 3-5 minutes until everything is incorporated (make sure crumbs are moist) Cover the Fish & Potatoes with this evenly.

Bake in oven on 425 deg. for 20 minute or fish and potatoes are at desired tenderness
Can you say "can I have another Helpin' ma" :P

Offline thechief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2007, 09:18 AM »
I mix cracker meal (found in Wegmans or other stores) with some grated Romano cheese, lemon pepper. and a dash of salt in a zip lock bag.  Dredge the fillets in milk and toss into the bag and shake well.  Pan fry with a little veg oil until golden brown on each side.  Remove from pan and place on plate lined with paper towels.  If doing a lot of fish, put into oven on WARM until all the fillets are done.  This is great for all fish.

Offline Jim_R

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' Partner
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2007, 09:23 AM »
I mix dill relish with mayonnaise for a dipping sauce.

I make a similar sauce, using Miracle Whip (gotta have that tangy zip!), relish (sweet or dill is good) and a dash of Worcestershire.

Hardwater...is there any other?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2007, 09:39 AM »
Verry good...Mr Niceguy... you must have a copy of the Food Lovers Companion :)

One of my favorite "not fried" recipes. Feeds normal family of four or one of us "Glutoness Slobs" ;D

*Boneless filets from 12 nice 'Gills.
*1/2 stick Unsalted Butter in Clarified state (melted to liquid)
*1/2 lb. Pancetta or (Apple Smoked Bacon) chopped
*1 lb. Fresh Spinach
*1/4 lb. Pecorino Romano (Parmesan) Cheese grated
*2 cup Panko Crumbs or (any FRESH Bread Crumbs)
*2 lbs. Par-Boiled Red Skin Potatoes thinly sliced
* Salt & Freshly GroundPepper to prefrence

Put 1/2 of the clarified butter into medium mixing bowl. Put the potatoes in and toss with salt and pepper. Place in caserole dish big enough to overlap slightly. Put another 1/2 cup clarified into bowl and toss in the 'Gill Filets. Place the fish evenly over the potatoes. Place in Fridge... or you can multi task the other step ;)

Cook off the Pancetta in another pan until almost done. Toss in the Fresh Spinach, Herbs, Bread Crumbs and Cheese. Cook for another 3-5 minutes until everything is incorporated (make sure crumbs are moist) Cover the Fish & Potatoes with this evenly.

Bake in oven on 425 deg. for 20 minute or fish and potatoes are at desired tenderness
Can you say "can I have another Helpin' ma" :P

Now that does sound good.  Gonna try that one for sure!  Lots of good ideas so far.  Thanks to all.

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2007, 11:28 AM »
those all sound good. how does bluegill rate as far as freshwater fish for taste?

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2007, 11:31 AM »
Among the best for table fare .

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2007, 11:42 AM »
My quickest microwave recipe;
-cover the bottom of a microwave safe dish with fillets
-Season with salt, pepper, parsley,basil and chopped garlic
-sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, Italian dressing and Franks Red Hot sauce
-dot with butter
-Cover dish with plastic wrap (poke a hole so it doesn't blow up) and nuke for 5-8 minutes until cooked through
-serve over white or wild rice

This works very well with any white fleshed fillet.

RG

Offline icecold

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Strictly catch and eat
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2007, 12:05 PM »
My quickest microwave recipe;
-cover the bottom of a microwave safe dish with fillets
-Season with salt, pepper, parsley,basil and chopped garlic
-sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, Italian dressing and Franks Red Hot sauce
-dot with butter
-Cover dish with plastic wrap (poke a hole so it doesn't blow up) and nuke for 5-8 minutes until cooked through
-serve over white or wild rice

This works very well with any white fleshed fillet.

RG
I have been using the microwave all summer and fall to cook all kinds of fresh fish filets. a ocean charter captain told me to take the filets and dry them with a paper towel. Bast them with melted butter and sprinkle them with crushed cornflakes.  Pop in the microwave on a plate and cook for only 2 minutes.  They come out very moist.  For the thinner filets i cook them for even less time as not to dry them out.  Boy does it beat the heck out of having all that breading and grease.
tip up tip down but for sure tip a few

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2007, 12:33 PM »
Icecold,
You're right about the mic being a healthy alternative to deep frying. I often substitute olive oil for butter and generally use fat free Italian dressing. Ans, yes, cooking time will vary with the power of your mic.

RG

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2007, 05:02 PM »
Gills and perch get dipped in an egg wash and breaded with 4c Italian bread crumbs and deep fryed till they float only a min. or two.Don"t over cook them and dry them out(nasty). When they float there done.My family likes the firm flesh of gills and perch.I don't mind the softer crappies but they do,so my wife puts the raw crappie filets in the food processer and grinds them up,fine mince of red bell pepper,onion,celery,mix raw egg ,oldbay seasoning and just enough braed crumbs to form patties,fry fry in butter.They taste as good as a crab cake.

Offline icecold

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Strictly catch and eat
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2007, 04:47 PM »
Gills and perch get dipped in an egg wash and breaded with 4c Italian bread crumbs and deep fryed till they float only a min. or two.Don"t over cook them and dry them out(nasty). When they float there done.My family likes the firm flesh of gills and perch.I don't mind the softer crappies but they do,so my wife puts the raw crappie filets in the food processer and grinds them up,fine mince of red bell pepper,onion,celery,mix raw egg ,oldbay seasoning and just enough braed crumbs to form patties,fry fry in butter.They taste as good as a crab cake.
Hey captain,  Thanks for that recipe for the fish cakes.  We caught some first ice northerns yesterday and we were looking for a good recipe for cakes other than our usual cooked filets for something different.
tip up tip down but for sure tip a few

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a method to my madness!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2008, 12:05 PM »
Not going into great depth here but this is an awesome way to fry gills or specks
-Mostly dried fillets
-drakes or similar
-1 or 2 beaten eggs 2 for larger fishfry
-crushed potato chips
- bread crumbs or Panko fry mix(found in your ethnic food aisle)
-crushed cashews or your  favorite nut,(pistachio)***take potato chips, crumbs,and cashews, mix all together and spread out on plate.*make sure everthing is crushed and mixed well*
* take fillets and shake in bag w/ the (dry) drakes, nice and coated**keep separate**
*1st pull a coated fillet out of bag, dip it in whipped egg, that lets the other ingredients stick to it when you roll fish on the plate of crushed mixed stuff, next toss it in oil,                   ENJOY!
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.
 "As fish go through the water colume, so do the days of our lives".

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2008, 10:00 AM »
I use this one for burbot , but I imagine it would work with any fish.

Take glass baking dish with a paper towel grease dish with extra virgin olive oil.

I melt about a stick of butter or whatever your diet my call for.I then dice up 1 lemon and place the small chunks of lemon into melted butter.

I use about 1 box of Garlic flavored Ritz crackers or any type of flavored cracker.For easy cleanup ..LOL..found this out the hard way.Was too crush the crackers while still in the bag.

Coat bottom of greased pan with crackers, then place fillets on top of crackers.Take your melted butter with lemon with a small bbq brush and coat fillets.Coat fillets with the rest of crushed crackers.

Bake @ 350 15-20 min. or depending on the thickness of you fillets.You'll know when they're done ;)

I'll serve it with white rice and a salad.Oh and of course a couple of frosty ones to wash it down with ;D

**** edit **** I guess I should've put this in the "pout" thread I didn't see  :-[

Offline bigdip

• IceShanty Rookie
  • any beer down there?
« Reply #28 on: Feb 11, 2008, 06:54 PM »
these are all great recipes.......but try substituting rice flour for the flour in any recipe, it is lighter and lets the fish flavor come thru nicely.

Offline tarantula

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 20, 2008, 08:17 AM »
I like to make a foil pan, place fillets inside,
smother in butter with a little lemon pepper,
wrap entirely with foil, throw on the grill for
about ten minutes and there you have it, my
simple and easy recipe for any fish. Learned
that in Alaska cooking fresh Halibut.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor