The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Does Wind chill have effect on Ice??????  (Read 15458 times)

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I thought you were bringing the bait"
Does Wind chill have effect on Ice??????
« on: Dec 13, 2007, 10:25 PM »
Might be a stupid question But i dont know the Answer for sure Im guessing 28 degrees 17 degree wind chill does make more ice cause its seem to freeze on vehicle windsheilds faster if you moving? any info would be appreciated.....-Mickey-
"DUDE Where'd my rod GO!!"

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Offline Norman Schrader

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
Re: Does Wind chill have effect on Ice??????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2007, 10:35 PM »
I don't believe that it would make more ice with a lower wind chill.  Wind chill, by definition, is what the temperature feels like against your skin, caused by the wind removing your body heat faster than if it was calm.  If the temperature was 35 deg but the windchill was 25 deg the lake would not freeze at all.
Good luck.
Norm
Norman J. Schrader

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2007, 10:50 PM »
I would think that the more wind chill, it would cool the water down faster. I also think that the more wind, the more the water stays in motion, preventing ice. Once the ice is formed, wind chill doesn't matter, unless it is above freezing, in which case, the wind would melt ice. Anybody correct me if I am wrong, just my $0.02  ;D
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline onderlin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2007, 10:52 PM »
Actually windchill does make ice faster...but indirectly.  When it's calm a slightly warmer bubble of air is generated above the frozen lake because the lake radiates heat away as it freezes. (It's a small heating but it's there)  When it's windy, the wind removes the warm bubble of air more efficiently.  Also when water freezes it releases latent heat through a thermodynamic process.  Wind helps to remove this too.  The caviat here is that wind will usually keep the night warmer to begin with...you know the whole clear, calm nights get really cold thing?  So I usually hope for the clear, calm nights since the colder temps overpower the smaller cooling effects of the wind.  Hope this helps!

Matt

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2007, 05:18 AM »
Wind chill does not affect how the ice is made. Wind chill is only the temperature that it appears to feel on human skin. So when the windchill is 0, it is not the same as when the temperature is 0. Wind only helps cool down lakes faster. As mentioned before when a lake is loosing heat on a calm night the heat slowly comes off the water and hangs a little extra longer near the water. When the wind is blowing, this heat is moved off of the water imediately making room for more heat to be released and so the pattern goes. But like also mentioned before, wind will keep water moving and ice from forming.
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2007, 06:14 AM »
Wind chill does not affect how the ice is made. Wind chill is only the temperature that it appears to feel on human skin. So when the windchill is 0, it is not the same as when the temperature is 0. Wind only helps cool down lakes faster. As mentioned before when a lake is loosing heat on a calm night the heat slowly comes off the water and hangs a little extra longer near the water. When the wind is blowing, this heat is moved off of the water imediately making room for more heat to be released and so the pattern goes. But like also mentioned before, wind will keep water moving and ice from forming.

Good call PM.

M.I.R.C. 

Offline twinkster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2007, 07:23 AM »

well said
OFFICIAL NORTHERN SHIRT OF THE MIRC Proud member of the MIRC  

Offline southend517

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saginaw Bay MI
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2007, 07:42 AM »
if it is to windy it could break the ice up

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I thought you were bringing the bait"
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2007, 09:08 AM »
Not trying to be a smart A$$ but why does your car winsheild freeze when the car starts to go down the road, i have had it in the morning where i have a wet windsheild and then it freezes while driving?
"DUDE Where'd my rod GO!!"

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Offline onderlin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2007, 10:01 AM »
When you drive you car, the extra air flow causes increased evaporation...when water evaporates it cools...again that whole thermodynamics stuff. (I'm a meteorology grad student at Florida State but I'm from Kalamazoo.)  If you're close enough to freezing, you might get enough cooling to drop below 32F as you drive.  Hence the windshield starts to freeze.  Pretty cool stuff if you ask me! 

P.S. Anyone getting out around kalamazoo yet, I'm headed back there tomorrow (sat) and want to fish somewhere on sunday.

Offline snowman11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2007, 11:19 PM »
Wind chill is the tactile effect of evaporation of water from the skin...and ice does evaporate some water.  Ever drive by the amish houses in the winter?  They still hang their clothes...they freeze, then they dry, it just takes forever. 

So yes, ice will freeze a little faster with a cold wind chill...

not a noticeable amount though

Offline fishinfool96

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh yeah!!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2007, 11:37 PM »
I have noticed this in my holes. If the wind all of a sudden starts blowing hard, the holes begin to freeze much faster. My dad and I noticed this a few days ago, morning was calm, some freezing, afternoon got windy and could barely keep them open. Then again maybe Im just stupid, I wouldn't argue with that.

Offline wartfroggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2007, 08:37 AM »
agreed, wind will allow for a greater heat transfer once ice is formed.  When it is open water, although wind will keep water from freezing, it also cools the water faster.  First, you have better heat transfer from the wind moving along the open water. Second, waves create more surface area for the water to interact with the air.  You also get more evaporative cooling, which is a very strong part of cooling a lake. Then, the first cool CALM night will tighten the lake up. (I also studied this stuff a bit in college, Limnology)

Offline velocty98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2007, 09:28 AM »
Wind will cause faster cooling of a body of water.  It's called convection.

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2007, 12:12 AM »
If the ambient temperature is 35° F with a wind chill factor of 25° F, will water freeze?

A wind-chill factor of 25° F (- 4° C) will not freeze water if the air temperature is 35 (2° C). Water changes state according to the temperature of the body of the water. In this case, the water and air temperature are about the same — too high to freeze water.  If the ambient air temp was below freezing 32° F, then yes, but the only reason is due to the temp of the air...not the wind itself.
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.