Author Topic: Townsend Fish Skinner  (Read 16147 times)

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Townsend Fish Skinner
« on: Dec 11, 2007, 01:20 PM »
Anyone use these? I just got one and I love it. It peels the ribs out clean and gets the skin off with no meat on it. You don't even need a super sharp filet knife with these.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Townsend Fish Skinner
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2007, 01:30 PM »
I just bought one of these, I had been looking for one forever, as I had a guide on a charter I took use one to cleant he fish, it was amazing, I found one on ebay and it is on it;s way to me know...great item

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2007, 02:29 PM »
Wouldn't mind hearing more about the skinner, I've never heard of one before.

How does it get the ribs out without making a mess of the fillet?

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2007, 02:54 PM »
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Townsend+Fish+Skinner++&category0=

I own one, but didn't know it would take the ribs out. How does it work to get the ribs  out?  ???
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline crowbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2007, 03:08 PM »
Hi guys,

The Townsend fish skinner is one of the best inventions ever. It is manufactured by Townsend Engineering Co. from Des Moines, Iowa. I've had mine for over 25 years, and cleaned 100's of fish. Thery are available here in Iowa in several stores I suppose since they are made here in state.
All I do to get the rib bones out is to put the tool up to the ribs and start turning. You're done in a couple seconds, same with the skin.
Here's a phone # if you can't find one where you live.
TOWNSEND ENGINEERING CO.-----515-265-8181----

HAPPY SKINNING!!!   :thumbsup:
Crowbait   :whistle:

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2007, 03:15 PM »
for those who have never seen them in action how they work is as follows...you can skin a fish before or after filleting it, all you do is start to skin it with a fillet knife enuff so the skinner can grab the tip of the skin, as you crank the skinner it moves along the meat separating the skin from flesh perfectly, same idea for the bones, if you start the bones with a knife then slide the bone tips into the skinner and twist, it will separate bone from meat...I have not seen this done personally, but the skinner portion I have an was in awe...got mine on ebay for $10

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2007, 04:11 PM »
I used to use one of those when I was a kid for skinning catfish.  Worked really well until you got a fish that was wider than the skinner.  From what I recall, and this was a long time ago, you had to start getting the skin off a bit to give it something to grip onto.  IMO an electric fillet knife would be less fiddly.

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2007, 10:40 AM »
 Here is a web site with a picture of the skinner. I found mine on E-Bay new in the box for $15.00. When I use mine to separate ribs, I just make a little cut under the first couple of bones then I get the edge of the skinner between the bones and meat and start cranking. It peels them out clean.

http://www.binningoutdoors.com/secure-binningoutdoors/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=91

Offline rchaze60

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If they are down there.... they will come up
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2007, 06:17 AM »
well looks like i am going to have to add this to my fishin stuff now  I am always looking for a better way to skin fish lol

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2008, 09:47 AM »
I was going to post something about the Townsend Fish Skinner then I found that I had been beaten to the punch alreay. I would have to agree with crowbait on this one- absolutely on of the best inventions ever!!! I am 29 and my dad has used one ever since I can remember and I have one of my own. Slick as 1-2-3 when it comes to shinning and deribbing fish like walleye, perch, n gills, etc.
If you havn't heard if it or have heard of it and never used one you should check into looking at one. It will make cleaning those fish easy, faster, and a little more enjoyable, especially when you have lots to clean. 
Deffinately check out ebay or lookup Townsend Fish Skinner online to read more about them if you can find any info.
New- they are around $30, but worth every penny if you clean alot of fish- especially when deribbing. One of the best investment I have ever made in my fishing arsenal.

Here it is. The company is out of Des Moines, Iowa

For those who have one
My dad and his fishing buddy did this with there's many years ago to modify the grip on the handle and was wondering if anyone else has done so. They found a way to secure the TFS and slightly bend the TOP handle up to allow them more leverage or pressure when squeazing down on the handle with less effort. Works real slick!   

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2008, 10:16 AM »
someone should do a youtube vid to show how this works.
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline HawkEyeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2008, 10:59 AM »
Yah, i'm really confused.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.