Author Topic: Ice Shanty build, from start to almost finished  (Read 40830 times)

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
Ice Shanty build, from start to almost finished
« on: Oct 12, 2007, 10:29 PM »
Those of you who live in my area and said you were interested in helping me build the "Ice Shanty" can give me a call at 488-7187.  ;D

I plan on working on it tomorrow and and maybe Sunday. I 'm hoping to just build the bottom base for right now. I will need help ripping 2X4's so if you have a portable table saw that would work also. I am still waiting on some connections to come through with the plywood for the floor.  ???

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Shanty build, more like a freakin mansion
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2007, 01:24 AM »
I have made some progress on the shanty, although it's not much. It has taken a while from inception and obtaining plans and scrounging for free material and keeping expenses low to even get to this point. I still have a ways to go but it is actually coming together for real. I am still looking and scrounging at the transfer sites or construction areas for material like plywood, osb and foam for insulation. I hope to have her put together enough to stay warm and dry out on the ice towards the end of November.

The shanty will be around 8X16 feet less a few inches on length and width but close. I had to shorten her a little to get the curve on the runners and to make sure the 4X4's had enough meat on all sides to keep from being pulled out when we tow her around. The main beams are four 2X6X16 foot pressure treated and bolted together, 2 on each side. The 4X4 in the last picture was scrounged from an old field drag I found on the army post at the dumpster.  I had to removed the 20 nails and left the I bolts in place for towing purposes. I have secured it with simpson strong ties and 12 inch 5/16 lag screws through the sides.  I still have to plan out how in the world I'm going to get it to the lake ??? I guess if I can't find a big enough trailer to borrow or rent, I'll at least have a warm spot to work and finish the inside during the winter :laugh:

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
Re: Ice Shanty build with added pics
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2007, 01:18 PM »
it's a good start.  Those are awfully big shackles your using to pull it with!  Let me know when it's complete and I'll see if I can head north for a few days!!

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2007, 11:32 PM »
Those are just the sized ones that were already there and I will probably down size it.

I also got some more supplies from the lumber fairies and if it's not snowing too hard on Saturday I'll be hard at putting the shanty together. The 15/32 plywood I got from the last fairy was to flimsy for the floor so I rounded up some 3/4 inch today that was scrap and I'll have to see how much that will cover  and then round up the rest and save the other thinner sheets for the roof.

As for the ice here we have plenty of it; it's just not thick enough yet to chance the fishing. It's been snowing to beat the band around here and we probably got another 6 inches so far today. I will check a local lake this weekend and see how much ice we have and if it's fishable.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Shanty build with added pics from this weekend
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2007, 01:41 AM »
I made a little more progress on the shanty this weekend not much but some. I should be close to laying down the floor by the end of the week, well as soon as I find ??? my 5 lb box of three inch deck screws I bought a while back. Can't convice the wife to let me go spend another 25 bucks because I can't find them.

These pictures were taken after we got at least 6 inches of snow dumped on us during Friday and early into Saturday morning and I cleaned up enough snow Saturday afternoon to have some room to work.

The last pic is what the subfloor will potentially look like when it is fastened down with the screws I hope I can find  :embarassed:

Offline fishalot2day

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2007, 08:03 PM »
great start. on mine on the longside of the frame i lagged on a 2 x 12 with the ends rounded. simple skis and it helps keeping the shack from freezing in

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2007, 08:55 PM »
8 X 16  ??? :o :o. I hope you have a Crane lined up for put it on and taking off trailer. Just remember to tell the buddy's they want to come use it they help get it off at end of winter. Oh yeah, right ,that never works. :%$#!:
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2007, 01:20 AM »
good going - sorry I missed the call this weekend, was out of town watching the seawolves trounce the nanooks! I should be around some this weekend if you're planning more work. Later,
J

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2007, 06:26 PM »
OK how about an update !
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Shanty build with added pics updated
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2007, 01:02 AM »
Here's your update! 8)

Wow it's been almost a month since I started to actually work on my shanty and it's a good thing I'm not getting  a piece rate off of it either. I'd be poor. Well I've made some progress and it's been good. I got more supplies and then some I've actually bought and others it's just waiting on your "suppliers" to actually come through in a timely manner but how can you complain when it's free.

Here are some recent pics of the p-tex I've added to the bottom for $120.I used 4 10' pieces 5"s wide and 3/8" thick. No that I've got it on I'm not to sure if this was a good idea :cookoo: this stuff just made my frame feel like a greased pig. I think I will have to anchor this down with ice screws so I can find her everytime I go fishing or I can just plan on fishing a new spot all the time :roflmao: .

So I now have 8 holes for fishing and next on the list is to fill in with insulation for the floor and then throw down the sheets of 5/8 with adhesive and screw (I foundthe 5lb box in my mess of a garge this weekend) it all down and maybe cut the holes and after that I will be ripping 2x4's and 2x6's into 2" thick pieces for framing to accomadate the 2" blue foam insulation. I think the hole placement is okay. I used 2x6 pieces 12"s long and nailed together and I made sure I had enough room for my 10' auger just in case I decide to go with that instead of the 8".

Any pointers or things to take into consideration before I get to far or it's too late  ???
Until next time

Brad

Offline KGrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2007, 01:19 AM »
Are you going to add any more floor joices?  I know you're using 5/8" plywood, but that is still a pretty large span.  But I always tend to overbuild things.

What are you using for floor insulation?

Looks great!

Offline brookiebomber477

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if i ain't icefishin'...i ain't happy!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2007, 08:39 AM »
looking good fireman!!! i wish i had the means to build and transport a shanty that big! looks like you're gonna have a blast this winter

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2007, 02:49 PM »
wow it's huge! Only thing I thought is to make sure the holes are not too close to the wall - hate to go to drill the first hole and find you can't get the auger in due to the engine hitting the wall!

Good work!

Offline cool_husker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GO BIG RED!!! HUSKERS RULE!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2007, 05:03 PM »
Brad,
If you need some help on the weekdays during the day let me know. I am free from 7 am to 3pm Mon. thru. Fri. I am not bob the builder but I listen pretty well.
Let me know,
cool_husker

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2007, 01:19 AM »
Could run three more 2x6's across and that should be good, Thanks Kevin. I thought I was making progress and now I'm playing catch up with all this input I'm getting.

I have acquired some 4x8 sheets of 2" blue foam, I just need to find a way to attach the two pieces together or maybe just go with one sheet under the floor and use construction adhesive to adhere them to the underside of the plywood.

Thanks Jeremy, I was kinda wondering that myself over the last couple of nights with the wall being right at the edge of the hole and all.

Cool_husker, I'm for sure going to work on it this weekend and Monday since it's a holiday for some of us. Let me know and I'll Pm directions to my house. Same goes for you Jeremy and anyone else.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2007, 11:25 AM »
Jeezum Crow!!!!
I hope you post some pics of it on the ice, filled with buddies and fish
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline IceFish4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2007, 06:54 PM »
Just a thought, Are you going to put skis under the shack?  The teflon slides only give you 3/8" clearance between terra firma and your floor stringers.  Once you get this animal of a shack all put together I'd estimate the weight to be in the 1000-1200lbs. range.  That may be a low estimate on my part.  If, while dragging, you hang up on a rock or ice chunk you will be stuck for a long time.  Not to mention that you are going to need to plow the snow out of it's way or it will do it for you.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2007, 09:56 PM »
I got my shanty registered the other day with State F & G. I convinced the people to let my choose my own number instead of the automated one. Being a firefighter and being true to my profession I chose a number that will never be forgotten from 9/11.

I chose 343 To honor the brave firefighters who were murdered on that day by those terrorists. So my shanty will be number F - 343

Taking off on Friday and have Monday off as the holiday so I hope to make some more progress on it so stay tuned for an update.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2007, 10:57 PM »
I got the foam all cut and placed for the floor and my holes cut in my plywood and screwed down. So I'll try and post some new photos tomorrow.

Offline iceinAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2007, 11:54 PM »
I got the foam all cut and placed for the floor and my holes cut in my plywood and screwed down. So I'll try and post some new photos tomorrow.

Fishin,
That is a monster shack. I am also here in North Pole and have built one shack that is currently on Chena Lake and I am also building one as we speak. The first one was 4 x 8 and is plenty room for two and the current one will be 6 1/2 x 8. One thing that was already posted was the manuverability of this monster. How do you plan on moving this ? My very first shack I tried to build was 8x8 and I came to the conclusion of cutting it in half due to the ease of manuvering it. As far as the holes being to close to the walls I always leave about a 4 inch gap to accomodate the auger and also the hinges for my doors. If you need a hand or have questions please feel free to email me or pm me so I can give you my number and I will be glad to help. I am by no means a master shack builder or carpenter but will help where I can.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 19, 2007, 02:06 AM »
Welcome to IS and Team Alaska iceinAK :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:, be sure you intro yourself in the new members area.

Thanks for the advice. Just let me know if you need any help too as I'm home on weekends and evenings and live off of Badger.
It would be nice to have one on Chena but I really don't want mine to get burned to the ice by :callcops: on those bratty bored good for nothing kids on new snomachines :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:, especially after all the hard work that went into it.

Once it makes it to Birch; which I hope it does before the ice goes out  :unsure:. I plan on leaving it in one place or moving it cautiously around the lake. It is not meant to be a lake skipper. I have portables for that.
My wife thinks it will never make it and that it will make a great shed :%$#!: She said I will have to find a different location instead of the driveway come summer time :roflmao:  I'll show her, does anyone have some extra space for me to put this thing  ???

Offline iceinAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2007, 12:01 AM »
Thanks for the welcome. I meant to tell you in the last reply I have a extra door for a ice shack if you need it. I had my shack on Chena upon returning from the Iraq deployment out in the middle of nowhere and no issues but was also concerned about the hooligans on snowmachines. The first year I had built the shack I had it on Birch the whole season and had good success everytime I was there but all small fish, Im not trying to deter you from Birch but I heard a rumor about Birch lake being the worst lake to keep fish on in Alaska because of the mercury levels, like I said just a rumor but still a great lake to catch fish. I actually decided today that I am going to move the shack off of Chena and onto a lake near Eielson. Once this new shack gets built I plan on placing it on Quartz for those long drives and also the quality of fish that are always caught there. I plan on taking a trip this Friday up near Delta to try out some lakes and also hit Quartz for some prescouting on where I am going to place it. I will keep this forum updated on the success and let me know about the door. I do have an outdoor barn that was a airplane hanger that you could store the shack but gonna have to talk to household 6 to see if I can accomadate a third shack out there if you know what I mean. It would be nice to get together and talk shacks or fish. Just let me know. Thanks

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2007, 12:13 AM »
Yeah I sure could use a door ;D I'm not sure how well the one I got from the boro mall is going to work ??? has a glass from top to the middle but it was FREE. A get together sounds good; I was thinking about going fishing with another guy who is on here on Friday, we might hit Birch :-\  not sure where yet. When your that far Quartz is not that much further of a drive just longer home. I know a guy who puts a big shack out on Quartz so I may be able to use his if I go down there I'll have to get a hold of him to see when he is putting his out.

I'll PM you my numbers

Offline iceinAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2007, 12:24 AM »
Sounds good,
Ill probably give to a call tomorrow and get that door to you , I took the trash to the dump about two weeks ago and saw two of them sticking out of a dumpster and grabbed them ( I swear Im not a dumpster diver) really nice doors but youll have to put a hasp or a new handle on if you want a key entry. If you can keep your eyes open for some small windows for the shacks, Ive been looking all over but cant find any, might just go with plexi again on this one. ill give you a call tomorrow. Thanks

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2007, 12:30 AM »
Sounds good, I'm not much of a diver either but somethings are just to good not to reuse. The 3 R's are a way of life here Reduce Reuse and Recycle

I was thinking about calling some of the window places to see if they have any good deal for smaller end of season windows left over. i know the owner of Pioneer glass and the guy who is in charge of windows said they had a one that was 14and ahalf by 49 for 125. Thought maybe I could see if I could work a better deal and if it would even work as i am onlt going to have 2" studded walls.

Offline iceinAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 20, 2007, 12:34 AM »
I havent tried yet but I think I will try the RV places, They have much smaller windows that would be more realistic and probably cheaper for what I am building. Ill give them a call tomorrow and let you know what I dig up.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 20, 2007, 12:38 AM »
Call Alaska RV and talk to Craig, he is one of the owners sons and he is really good. I'm sure if you mention my name he may remember me. I'll run over there at lunch.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Shanty build recently updated; sorry no pics
« Reply #27 on: Dec 03, 2007, 10:12 PM »
Okay so I finally got time to do an update ??? I have the floor all done and the holes cut and everything trimmed to size. I also have been ripping my 2x4's and 6's into 2" pieces for the framing. I can get two 2" by 1.5" boards out of a 2x6 ;D.
I also picked up some used rv windows at a local shop, one is a window crank and the windows triple fold up and has a screen, probably 22x24. The second is a slider and doubles as an emergency evacuation window that is bigger than the other and one that I can get out if there was an emergency and I couldn't get to the door. The last two are just plain solid and are 14X12"s all for around $75, thats a great deal. Waiting to get with iceinAK to see what type of door he has for me, haven't heard from him lately and I lost his number.

I framed in one window and an entire wall so I have been making progress, although I haven't been out fishing much >:( I have been out some and the last time was with BD and the kids. See the pics in the AK picture area; we had a great time but it will be even better when the hut is out there and we can get out of the wind.

I plan on taking some more pictures here soon, once I can actually be around when there is some daylight. I have been working a lot with the halogen work lights on and the wife says the elctric bill has gone up :pinch: :callcops:  not to mention the Christmas lights and the truck plugged in :whistle:

Offline oldfsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2007, 06:37 PM »
Great project! some time ago I built one about the same size to use in Idaho. I used it mostly on Clark Canyon in Montana because I could just leave it up all season. but the biggest mistake was not to raise it up several inches. it snowed and warmed up and froze into the ice! I couldn't cut it out  i had to leave it to melt out. I put six 55 gal drums around it wired into it. two buckets of sand at each end, on a rope to act as anchor, and let er melt. by spring it was sitting in the lake floating high and dry. I have a picture of my son and I towing it to the dock in the spring. point is if you're going to leave it out, just jack it up and put a couple of old tires under it to keep it from freezing in. just my two cents

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2007, 01:02 AM »
I hit a milestone today ;D I finally have one wall up and a window in :flex: It has been a long time coming but seems like it should go a little faster now. I hope to have it out before the ice is gone ???.

Here are a few pictures from today;

This is one of the 8 holes in the shack which are 12"x12", this one is in the middle area.

Here I am already framing up the next side wall.

Here is a look down the length of the wall.

Here is the wall standing with the rv window framed and secured in the wall.

Another angle

The other side wall will have the escape window in it and be closer to the right (looking at the picture above) on the other side. This will allow for an alternate route if the path to the door should become compromised.

The reason the tarps are on is to keep the snow off. It has been snowing the last day or so and they are calling for more this week. This way I can stay a little dry and get some work done. As soon as I get the roof on, I can borrow a work heater from my in-laws and work in the warm.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.