Author Topic: Any Mickey Mouse Boot Users?  (Read 34879 times)

Offline smulax

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Any Mickey Mouse Boot Users?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 15, 2008, 11:23 AM »
I am thinking of getting a pair.  what does funny size mean.  I tried on a pair of 9's and they had enough room to put two fingers at the heel what do you guys think size 8 or 7

Thanks

mike
"All men are equal before fish" - Herbert Hoover

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 15, 2008, 11:28 AM »

This is a pix from this years Deer season of my 66 year old Mom and her first Deer!! Notice the Mickeys??? She was able to remain out for up to 12 hours a day on stand during the cold November Deer season in Michigan because of the Mickeys. Her feet always get cold, till now!!

I like em a couple sized bigger than normal. I add felt liners to the inside bottom. Kinda like the ones you glue to the soles of waders for grip on rocks. They have wool in them and are soooo comfortable and help retain warmth. Make it much easier to walk long distances as well because it is like walking on a cushion!!!!

Offline smulax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 15, 2008, 12:51 PM »
Congratulations on the first deer!!!! 

Offline walkerd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 17, 2008, 11:02 AM »
I have had mine for over 18 years and love them. I used them when i was in the air force and didnt like them cause kept my feet to warm, but now oh god i dont think you can beat them. I wear them fishing, and hunting. Sportsmansguide.com has them for 75 bucks plus shipping whatever that is, Im thinking about getting me a new pair from there, since all the army surplus stores have closed around here and other places are way to expensive for me now, my father in law bought mine as a christmas present over 130 bucks at an outdoor store you can find em cheaper. the site i told you has them but dont wait to long they sell out fast.
dave

Offline smulax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 17, 2008, 12:54 PM »
wife says I have to wait till after Christmas.  so dec 26 I will be ordering a pair. 

Offline walleyehawger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 23, 2008, 11:23 AM »
What do most of you wear, the black or the white ones.  I do alot of walking on the ice and wonder if the white ones would be too bulky.  Are the black boots plenty warm enough?

Thanks

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 23, 2008, 11:31 AM »
I started with the black. Then graduated to the white. The white are very dominate!!! You will see in the pic below that I started Mom off right with white :tipup:

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 24, 2008, 02:52 PM »
What do most of you wear, the black or the white ones.  I do alot of walking on the ice and wonder if the white ones would be too bulky.  Are the black boots plenty warm enough?

Thanks

I have the white one's..  Never tried the black..    They are a bit bulky, Not the best for a lot of walking But the sure do keep your feet dry and warm !!

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 28, 2008, 06:00 PM »

Thanks

The white ones are rated to a lower temp than the black.... I think the vlack ones are rated to -10  and the white are rated to -40  ...I may not be exact but i am close.

Offline kathy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 01, 2009, 12:51 PM »
I've got a black pair which I purchased off of E-Bay but the first pair I got were narrow and the first time I wore them my feet froze so make sure if you get them to make sure they are th right size or they will be no good.  It is kinda clumsy walking in them but they sure are warm! 

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 03, 2009, 09:36 AM »
   The 2 guys saying waders will kill you if you go in couldn't be more wrong. The guy that fell in more than likely paniced and blamed the waders. Neoprene waders are basically nothing more than the bottom half of a 2 piece wetsuit, provides floatation and a thermal barrier. Please refer to "5mm waders" thread for a little more information on the subject.

Spin

Offline smulax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 04, 2009, 09:15 AM »
I use neoprene waders when fishing and hunting.  My wife was nervous about me falling in and not making it out. so I put them on in the summer and dunked them in a shallow pond where I could stand up if needed.  They do float.  so drowning is out provided I dont go under ice or get smashed on rocks fishing.  the other thing is they were very hard to walk in when they were full of water.  I would think the only way to get out of ice or up onto a rock being pounded by waves would be to ditch the waders.  just my 2 cents

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #42 on: Jan 24, 2009, 09:40 PM »
One tip, with MMBs you definitely don't need heavy wool socks.  Use thin cotton socks and you'll be fine.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 26, 2009, 11:06 AM »
One tip, with MMBs you definitely don't need heavy wool socks.  Use thin cotton socks and you'll be fine.

Just my opinion, but cotton will hold your swet instead of wicking it away from your skin. Then when you sit for hours on end the wet socks made of cotton will freeze down. I have learned to leave my body void of all cotton as a first layer. Never ever get cold anymore no matter how many hours spent on the ice.

Offline Tinman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 06, 2009, 01:07 AM »
cotton socks work fine in MMB's or bunny boots as we call them here. The design of these boots actually allows you to fill them with icy lake water and still warm back up. I'm not sure how it all works but I've accidently tested this and it works. Well insulated all ruber boot I guess. Hands down they are still the best thing going for standing on the ice for hours on end. I like mine so well that I've got a second set in the garage waiting for the first set to wear out.

Countless friends have attempted to wear Sorels or other more high tech boots on the lake but the "MMB's" still finish first at the end of the day. I heard a rumor a few years back that the military was going to quit buying them, so far I have not found that to be the case.

Offline jakjkl

• IceShanty Rookie
  • do I have something in my teeth?
« Reply #45 on: Feb 09, 2009, 10:12 PM »
I have been wearing mickeys for over 30 years, they are the best boot for ice fishing I have ever owned.
lol, If youve owned them for 30 yrs of course they r the best u have ever owned.

Offline antihero429

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 09, 2009, 10:18 PM »
I picked up a pair this year, They are a little uncomfortable at first but they will wear in good.  Solid boot and they will keep you safe from all the elements you can encounter ice fishing, especially water. If your under 40 you can't seriously complain about the weight, you pull your sled right??? Great boot especially for the price.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.