Author Topic: Worms in perch fillets??  (Read 10988 times)

Offline paullytip-up

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fishing is not a hobby, its a way of life
Worms in perch fillets??
« on: Feb 21, 2007, 07:21 AM »
I caught a mess of nice perch on sunday afternoon in an upstate NY lake.. as i was cleaning the fillets i noticed that they looked almost like they had white seeds in them.  I popped a couple out and inside the fillet they were balled up but when i took them out they laid out and looked like little white worms??  i have never seen this or came across any article that mentioned anything like this.  i have some digital pics of the fillets but not here at work with me.. i will post them later if need be.  has anyone ever heard of this???

paully :tipup:

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Worms in perch fillets??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2007, 07:25 AM »
thread running right now about the same thing.......did they look like this??
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=52034.0

Offline paullytip-up

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2007, 07:40 AM »
well its kinda hard to tell cause the pics are a little blurry but they looked about the same size.  They were no black spots either, they were all white. they all looked like little white worms..

Offline zonker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:20 AM »
This is prety common in perch around here.  Some places you see it more than others.  I usualy just pick them out with the tip of my knife when i'm dressing them out.  If they are really loaded w/worms then I just chuck em. :sick:
IF YOU DON'T GO, YOU WONT KNOW!!!

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:30 AM »
well its kinda hard to tell cause the pics are a little blurry but they looked about the same size.  They were no black spots either, they were all white. they all looked like little white worms..

Same as the ones in my perch fillets, all whitish yellow
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline Norman Schrader

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:47 AM »
I have seen this before in fish caught in upstate N.Y ponds and lakes.  I checked with the DEC about it.  I don't now what the scientific name is for it but they called the problem "white grub".  These along with the other parasite they called ironicly "black dot" are part of a cycle that starts with waterfowl droppings.  The small fish eat the parasites from the droppings, larger fish eat them and so on back to the birds again.  While not astheticly pleasing ( that's an understatement) the DEC said that neither species is harmful to humans so long as the fish is thoroughly
cooked (sushi is not recommended here).
I hope this helps out.
Good luck.
Norm
Norman J. Schrader

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2007, 10:26 AM »
 Yup! thats them, only there were alot more of them then in the pic on that link.
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline paullytip-up

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2007, 11:00 AM »
yeah thats definately what it is.  i guess it is kinda like getting worms in your vegtables when you really think about it. Ill probably pick out as many as possible and go from there..  thanks for all the great info guys!!

paully :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.