Author Topic: ... Marcum VS560 Review ...  (Read 24815 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
... Marcum VS560 Review ...
« on: Feb 19, 2007, 02:37 PM »

Marcum  VS 560 Review

I’ve been testing the Marcum VS 560 underwater viewing system for approximately two months. I’ve used it once on a boat and the rest of the testing has been done on the ice.

Features

The VS 560 is a self contained unit. It’s compact and comes complete … there’s no need to buy accessaries.
This system has on screen displays which show the viewing direction, depth, temperature, auto pan speeds, battery charge remaining and a low battery warning icon.
This unit features a new underwater lighting system called Dark Water Technology.
It’s comes with 60’  of  Kevlar reinforced cable and is stored  on a cable reel.
The camera has a built in motor that can rotate 360 degrees. The motor can be controlled from the main key pad or from a supplied wireless remote control.
The camera comes with a weight for open water use and a down viewing strap.
The 5.5 inch black and white CRT monitor has controls for vertical hold, contrast and brightness.
The padded soft pack carrying case has a built in, collapsible viewing shroud for bright light conditions.
The battery supplied is a 12 volt, 7 amp hour sealed lead acid battery. It will supply approximately 9 hrs of viewing time. When LED lighting is in use 8 hours.

Test Conditions

I had originally started testing the Marcum VS 560 under ideal conditions. The conditions were clear water and no current flow in the area. The unit obviously did very well. After thinking about the testing I thought every test was probably done in the same manner.
I re-thought how I would test and decided the true test would be under adverse conditions.
I chose a reservoir that has cloudy , tannic or “tea stained” water and I set up the equipment 70 feet from the main creek channel. This was to ensure limited visibility and to ensure debris in the water. At the time of testing there was 10” of ice plus 3” of snow on top. The test day was overcast with limited light.
I don’t like making a review a “comparison” but I felt I needed something to be able to compare the results against. I used another brand name unit with the same features as the VS 560. I’ll just call it Brand X. 
I would have liked to have been able to shoot actual video footage but my camera did not have the proper connections and I couldn’t locate one to borrow. To make up for this I tried substituting the footage with screen pictures.

Hole with ice/snow

Testing

Before the actual testing I confirmed all features were working using a flasher to check the depth reading, a thermometer for temp reading and visual for direction.

To do the test I wanted a stationary “visual” for the cameras to be focused on. I chose a submerged tree and marked out two foot incriments …. 2, 4, 6 and 8 feet.

In daylight I placed the VS 560 camera in each hole and took the pic. I then placed Brand X’s camera in each hole and again took pics.

VS560 in daylight :
2 feet

4 feet

6 feet

8 feet

Brand X in daylight:
2 feet

4 feet

6 feet

8 feet

When it was dark I again placed the VS 560 camera in each hole and took a pic with lights off. I then took a pic with lights on.. I did the same with Brand X.

VS560 in darkness :
2 feet w/lights off

2 feet w/lights on

4 feet w/lights on

6 feet wlights on

8 feet w/lights on

Brand X in darkness :
2 feet w/lights off

2 feet w/lights on

4 feet w/lights on

6 feet w/lights on

8 feet w/lights on

Conclusion

This was done under the most adverse conditions I could find. I found the VS 560 had a better all around image compared to Brand X. I’m not sure if it’s due to the camera, monitor or both.
At the two feet distance in daylight both units did well. At 4, 6 and 8 feet the Marcum was much better.
Under darkness and with the lights on the Marcum was better hands down .. it's hard to see in the pics. The lighting on Brand X created the blizzard affect and washed out most viewing. The VS 560 lighting had a subtle affect on the water debris and allowed for better viewing. Instead of washing out in light it allowed a "shadow" viewing.

I found it easy to charge the system via a jack in the front of the unit.
The panning feature is one of this units biggest features. The camera has an enclosed motor which allowed me to pan left or right 360 degrees without the need for tripods and the twisting of cables. It also has Auto Pan with 3 speeds. Just hit the button and choose a speed  .. slow, medium or fast. The motor will keep panning to allow you a 360 degree view. I found this feature nice while drifting in the boat along a weedline as well as ice fishing.
I had experienced only one problem with VS 560 and that is when I first charged it. It was 60 % charged and I went to top it off. After roughly 6 hours the light on the charger wasn’t turning off. I gave it another hour and it was still on. I turned the unit on and checked the on board battery status and it was 100 %. I contacted Marcum customer service and they stated it will do that the first time and to check the on board monitor. I’ve since charged the unit many times and it has worked fine. 

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ... Marcum VS560 Review ...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2007, 02:46 PM »
Excellent review!!! Thats what we like to see.....someone who takes the time and thought to do a good job.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2007, 02:52 PM »
Nice review. But I think I have brand X lol. I saw something similar to the Marcum but it was made by a European company same kind of camera with the 360 degree viewing and the fins on the camera. Well glad to know if i decide to step up the review has already been done thanks. :)

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2007, 04:00 PM »
Love the red thumb,,,ha,,ha.   great review LoneWolf!

Offline icefishermanmark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2007, 07:10 PM »
I have the Marcum 350 and after comparing it to an Aqua Vu Scout, the Marcum wins.  Much lcearer picture, and with a 7" screen, the viewing is easier.  We used it for over 6 hours without battery issues.  The Scout doesn't get that.
Some fishermen sit at home during the winter dreaming about fishing.  The real ones go out and do it.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2007, 06:20 AM »
Excellent review, Doug!  I have brand x and in the lakes I fish, the lights are worthless to me. It totally washes out the screen and picks up all particulate matter.  You can definately see the difference in clarity between the 2.
Ken                                          

pinche

« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2007, 06:53 AM »
Nice job LW very thorough review....BTW if any of our sponsors needs any more Field tests send em my way  ;)

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:30 PM »
how much is the Marcum?
How are the edges ?

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:44 PM »

Here's a link for some prices :   Underwater Cameras

Offline ZachSchuler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2007, 11:31 PM »
I have an older discontinued marcum unit and I love it. The company has great service as well if you ever have a problem. My next camera will be a marcum. And if I ever buy a flasher...it will also be a marcum.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2007, 08:11 AM »
I have an older discontinued marcum unit and I love it. The company has great service as well if you ever have a problem. My next camera will be a marcum. And if I ever buy a flasher...it will also be a marcum.

I have to agree .... customer service has been great.

With all the lakes that I have tested this unit on this body of water was the ultimate test. I found the camera to be a great asset along side the flasher. After deciphering what the flasher reading might be it was nice to drop the camera down for confirmation.
I also like the down viewing strap. It is small and unobtrusive and allows not only down viewing but other angles as well.

Offline icefishermanmark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2007, 07:15 PM »
If you want the Marcum 350, buy the Cabela's camera.  It's the same one for $40 less!!
Some fishermen sit at home during the winter dreaming about fishing.  The real ones go out and do it.

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:25 PM »
Nice write up....

The Marcum has pretty much everything one could want although some sort of recording capability (like maybe via a USB flash drive) would be awesome.

I have an LX5 and I couldn't be more happier with it and have been waiting to drop the hammer on this unit but I just can't see spending that much dosh for a camera.  I'd like to see their pricepoint drop a bit (like by $75 - $100) and then I'd have no problems ordering it.

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2007, 09:16 PM »
Good job LW. I am looking for a cam and you may have just tipped the scales. Can you record with this? Does it have a AV out jack for an external dvr?

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2007, 06:38 AM »

Yes you can record with it .. has an out jack for recording.  :)

Offline newincudahy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Failure to prepare is prepairing to fail.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2007, 10:04 PM »
Nice review.  Anyone interested in a brand X? LOL
Fish Now! Cuz you'll be dead a long time.

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2007, 12:36 PM »
Nice review LW.   I'm glad you didn't compare it against Brand y.  It would be hard for anything to beat Brandy while ice fishing.... ;)

Offline r.roys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:43 AM »
Great review lonewolf, just ordered one today, can`t wait to get it on the ice.
Thanks

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2008, 02:57 PM »
  Hi Gang!
  I like the vs-560 I just cant afford it yet.  SO i bought the vs-250 and love the thing.  I use it for seeing what is down there.  it is a bit more effort but it is usable and nice to have an on off switch for the lights too.  Gander has one on sale at m-ville and then there is a rebate on top of that! Ask the counter person.  Like I said the ANy luc, Val and  others have a 560 and swear by it.  I think the world of them too.  But if you dont have the bucs you dont have the bucs.  Buy the vs-250 and I think you will like it!
  Da-Roc

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 14, 2008, 10:39 AM »
Question, is the only difference between the VS 560 & the VS 825c just the color monitor? I guess I am asking do they have the same features and components, just 1 is color & other is b&w?

thx,
Steve

Offline GatorNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 19, 2008, 05:58 AM »
Hey Steve,

Specs indicate that the 825c is a color lcd monitor as opposed to the conventional monitor the 560 has, but the 825c doesn't appear to have the same features (ie camera control, etc...) as the 560. So, I guess it's about as apples and oranges as you can get. Take a look at the 825 thread or the whitefish video.

Gator

Offline Pogowi

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Smoked Salmon Anyone?
« Reply #21 on: Mar 24, 2008, 04:37 PM »
Great review.  Marcum service is impeccable.  My wife and I have the V560, purchased it the first winter they were available.  We spent 7 days ice fishing Lake of the Woods, MN this past January and we were in need of a replacement part.  Marcum sent the item overnight to our lodge at their cost.  This was my third experience in 3 years and Marcum technicians have come through everytime.  No other camera that we have tested has been so clear with the lights on.  This is Marcums blue light technology. :icefish:

Offline Illinoizboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicago, Il. No, I never met Al Capone.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2008, 10:35 PM »
I just bought a VS350 Refurb from fishingprostore.com $159.99  Free shipping
Looks like I will have 2 Mar Cums in the sled this year.  ;D
One a Da Boyz from Illinoiz
U.S.A.F. Vietnam Vet 66-67

Hello,my name is John.... and I am an ICE HOLE.
God Bless our Troops.

Offline D-mo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2008, 01:29 PM »
Don't like to be the devils advocate here, but im finding " brand X " to have clearer "lights off vision" than the Marcum. 
Also, the pics of the monitor of the Aqua-vu .. im guessing its a SV - 50 or 100 has lots of ice/show/water in the screen during the night shots for some reason ...

Just my .02

d-mo
"Drink Canada Dry"
Its a moto, not my personal mission

Offline run320083

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2009, 04:43 PM »
got the 460 recently and love it. it give a very clear picture of what is down there and worked better then i thouht it would when it started to get dark and i am very happy with being able to look around with out having to twist a cord

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:32 PM »
got the 460 recently and love it. it give a very clear picture of what is down there and worked better then i thouht it would when it started to get dark and i am very happy with being able to look around with out having to twist a cord
Does the 460 have a motorized cam?

Offline run320083

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2009, 09:04 AM »
Does the 460 have a motorized cam?
yup only difference is it does not come with the remote so you have to press the button on the unit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.