Author Topic: Refill 1lb Propane Tank or Take 20lb along / & Mr Heater Big Buddy Question  (Read 76418 times)

Offline Air4Andy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hmmm... I guess I'll HAVE to go ice fitchin'
That is exactly my question.  I just bought Y-Splitter and 2 5ft hoses so I can run a 20lb propane tank on my Mr Heater Big Buddy.  I never thought about refilling a 1lb.  I am pondering returning my $50 dollar worth of parts and buy a refill adapter.  What do you think?

Also...   question about the big buddy heater.  Is it just me, or does your heater (when on high) turn off when the propane tanks are still like 1/2 or 1/3 full?  Then you can turn it back on high again and it will stay lit for maybe 10 minutes.  Turn it on again , then on for 5 minutes.  I have to run the thing on medium for a while.  Then the same thing happens.  10 min, 5 min, etc.  Then low for ever to empty my 1lb tanks.  I wish It would just run on high until the tanks are empty.  Are your guys Big Buddy heaters the same?  Thanks!

grumpymoe

you are not alone on this one....experience the same thing....drives you nuts....one of the biggest problems is too much air....what I did with mine, was wrap some electrical tape around the opening to restrict even the lightest amount of breeze that blows it out.....unless the tank is 3/4 full or more, it just poops out....danged if I can reason why.....sometimes I'd just like to boot the thing.....Grump

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If anybody has a propane heater that works like it's supposed to please tell us about it. I've got a Paulin model 5500 that I thought would be perfect for heating the shanty. It puts out 3500 btu's and is supposed to last 7 hrs on a single 16 oz. tank. Trouble is, unless it's over 20 degrees out it doesn't work. Dang thing runs for five minutes and shuts off.

I've also got a larger sunflower Mr. Heater that I use with a twenty pound tank, it won't work on the low setting and medium will drive me out of the shack, it eats propane and takes up too much room. I wish that little Paulin would work like it's supposed to, it would be perfect. I've called the company but all I get is an answering device and nobody ever calls me back. I've tried email on their website and get no response from that either.

So somebody, anybody, if you have one of these small propane heaters that works in cold temps like they're supposed to, please tell me about it ;D

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have a Mr Heater Buddy Heater and have no problems at all.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

grumpymoe

I forgot to mention that I also have an older Coleman 3000 btu that works of the 1lb tanks and will run a tank completely empty on low setting in about 6hrs.....Grump

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
If anybody has a propane heater that works like it's supposed to please tell us about it. I've got a Paulin model 5500 that I thought would be perfect for heating the shanty. It puts out 3500 btu's and is supposed to last 7 hrs on a single 16 oz. tank. Trouble is, unless it's over 20 degrees out it doesn't work. Dang thing runs for five minutes and shuts off.

I've also got a larger sunflower Mr. Heater that I use with a twenty pound tank, it won't work on the low setting and medium will drive me out of the shack, it eats propane and takes up too much room. I wish that little Paulin would work like it's supposed to, it would be perfect. I've called the company but all I get is an answering device and nobody ever calls me back. I've tried email on their website and get no response from that either.

So somebody, anybody, if you have one of these small propane heaters that works in cold temps like they're supposed to, please tell me about it ;D
If you went to a bigger tank in colder weather, it would probably work fine.  The tank takes the air temperature to make vapor for usage when it is called for.  The smaller the tank, the less surface area to pull heat from.  When it gets too cold for the tank to make vapor, your heater will take all the vapor out of the tank and refrigerate it.  This means no more vapor for your heater to run on.  When you shut off your heater, the tank will build up more vapor and then will run for awhile more, until the tank refrigerates again.  That is why 1# tanks are almost worthless in cold weather.  Just a few words of advice from Hank Hill.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Why won't my Mr.Heater work on low with the twenty pound tank then ???

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
It sounds like something is wrong with the temperature adjustment.

Offline Air4Andy

• IceShanty Rookie
Dont get me wrong, this heater (Big Buddy) works awesome!!!  I just cant seem to empty the 1lb tank.  It'll drain until 1/4 left or so and then turn Off like I said.  My real question is...   Is refilling a 1lb tank worth it or a hastle???

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
You can refill a 1# with an adapter that you can buy, but I would never refill a 1# tank.  They are not meant to be refilled. 

Offline Flagtailhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
I use a sunflower type of heater.  I purchased a 5lb refillable propane tank for it.  Not as bulky as a 20lber and has enough propane in it to last the day.  It did cost me as much as a 20lb tank though.  Just another option for you.

Offline TMBWarriors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • walleye
Don't get me wrong, this heater (Nig Nuddy) works awesome!!!  I just cant seem to empty the 1lb tank.  It'll drain until 1/4 left or so and then turn Off like I said.  My real question is...   Is refilling a 1lb tank worth it or a hastle???

[/quote}  Lowe's  was 2.25 each and i bought a case.They only lasted 3 weekends,The better is 20 lber but they are very heavy although they will last for several weekends.Biggest problem with the 1 pndrs is they freeze up fast and when you use the large BTU heaters the liquid propane can't turn into gas fast enough.I have at least 10 different heaters and my fav is the big buddy. :)

Offline ToeCheese

• Team IceShanty Regular
if your going to refill the 1lbs a couple things to know. when they are empty put them in the freezer first they fill much better and are less likely to leak. if you fill them while warm they tend to get froz open and leak. good luck.

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
You can refill a 1# with an adapter that you can buy, but I would never refill a 1# tank.  They are not meant to be refilled. 
That refilling move doesn't always work. Some tanks will fill, others will not. Even same brand tanks. Adaptor? Save your money!  Rich
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
When I want portability, light weight yet a good quantity of propane, I use my 5 lb tank instead of my 20 lb tank.

Offline Air4Andy

• IceShanty Rookie
I love by Big Buddy!  I did go with the 20 lb tank...   AWESOME!  Lasts many trips.  U Haul refills the tanks and will charge according to how much propane is put in, not a flat rate.  Works awesome!

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
One of the earlier posts had the answer to the 1#/big heater problem: the colder it is, the slower the LP evaporates, also the higher the load, the colder the tank becomes, chilling the LP even more, slowing the evaporating even more,yada, yada,
 end result: less fuel in tank, less output available. there is probably a safety in the heater that closes the valve if the pressure is too low, shutting it off.
   as to refilling: if you're not completely comfortable and knowledgeable about refilling propane, stick with the proffessionals, pick up a 5 or 10 lb'er. ;) :tipup: better safe to fish another day than save a couple bucks
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline Wissota Bear

• IceShanty Rookie
I have a Mr Heater Buddy Heater and have no problems at all.  I like using a 20lb tank, I don't like running out of fuel midday.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yeah my Big Buddy does the same- runs great until about a quarter full- then she shuts down and the 1 lbs cylinders get cold and covered in frost. I, too, am going to switch over to either a 5, 10 or 20 lbs tank. Personally, I don't use my gas grill in the winter, so I will probably just use the exchange tank off of it over the winter.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
Best bet is to keep the propane tank a bit closer to the heat source.  That way, the liquid fuel will be warm and will continu to give off vapours until the tank is empty.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Best bet is to keep the propane tank a bit closer to the heat source.  That way, the liquid fuel will be warm and will continu to give off vapours until the tank is empty.

The 1 pounders go in the side- no control over how close they get to the heat source

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
I do refill my 1 pounders several times before I throw them away. Keep your 20 pound cylinder warm and your 1 pounder cold. In the freezer or a cold garage will work. The only thing to watch out for is the seal in the neck of the 1 pounder. If the seal gets bad by repeated use and refills, it will slowly leak, and its time to throw it away. If you do get a slow leak after filling, use a brass punch (repeat brass...not steel to avoid a possible spark) to re-seat the seal. If it wont seat. screw it on to your heater to keep from losing the gas. Then dispose of it when its empty.

Another thing to remember is only fill to 80 percent full. Thats what the new ones are filled too. This is to allow for gas expansion when the cylinder is in a warm environment. Chances are you wont get it past this anyway but some will over fill. Also, the 20 pound cylinder has to be upside down to allow the 1 pounder to be filled with liquid , not just gas.

All in all, its not much different then refilling refillable butane lighters.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
I have 2 big buddy heaters (bought a new one was going to return the other due to fan failure (my fault)  but my conscious got to me so I have two)  the issues I had with the heater was when it was really cold outside  (0 degrees is spring weather) it would not run on high  so this year I'm going to try to use a 30 lb tank and get the tank off the ice  maybe that will work better   By the way I called Mr heater about buying a new fan Assembly they are warrantying it for me :) 
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
I use an 11# propane tank that isn't the tall type. It is shaped kind of like a donut. It seems like propane vaporizes according to the surface area of the liquid in the tank. The reason I use this type of tank is that it vaporizes well. I use it for my buddy heater and for my Paulin sunflower type and it works well in all temperatures.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
To help in transporting your 20 lb, use a plastic milk container ( the ones thart hold 4 gal.) it just fit and will not tip over, and when out on the ice set the tank on top of it to keep it off the ice or use it as a table for table for you fish finder or your under water camera.
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
I doubt getting the tank off the ice is much help.  When it's -20, the surface of the ice is -20.  The best thing to do is to keep the tank warm.  Bring it inside the shanty and let the heater keep it warm too.  I you could even lower it through a hole in the ice.  The water is above freezing temperature....lol.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
I you could even lower it through a hole in the ice.  The water is above freezing temperature....lol.

Actually that is true. 32 degrees is will promote better "vaporization" then 0. But with a 20 pound tank, you would need a pretty big hole. Bigger then legal size, at least here in Ohio.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
Actually....it started out as a joke but the more I think of it, the better it sounds.  The bottle would surely float.  If not, a small chain nailed to the wall of the ice shanty could be used and as the bottle emptied, it would get more boyant.  The chain would be needed if the hole has started to freeze up and you would have to whack away around the edges of the hole to recuperate the bottle.  You could make the hole in the ice shanty and having the bottle under the ice would give you more room in the shanty.  I think that my joke has become a serious option.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
I use an 11# propane tank that isn't the tall type. It is shaped kind of like a donut. It seems like propane vaporizes according to the surface area of the liquid in the tank. The reason I use this type of tank is that it vaporizes well. I use it for my buddy heater and for my Paulin sunflower type and it works well in all temperatures.
Thanks dawg I think I'm going to have to try one now. :)
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
Actually....it started out as a joke but the more I think of it, the better it sounds.  The bottle would surely float.  If not, a small chain nailed to the wall of the ice shanty could be used and as the bottle emptied, it would get more boyant.  The chain would be needed if the hole has started to freeze up and you would have to whack away around the edges of the hole to recuperate the bottle.  You could make the hole in the ice shanty and having the bottle under the ice would give you more room in the shanty.  I think that my joke has become a serious option.
Now I've heard everything there poss. is to hear. As I'm shaking my head while reading this. Oh boy!!!! Some peoples kids.  ;D
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.