Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Ice Fishing Shanty
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Gearcor | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | KitteryTradingPost | Cabelas
Nov 28, 2014, 11:07 PM
Team Iceshanty Mock T's
Full chest logo/iceshanty.com printed down the sleeve.
Iceshanty Proshop

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?

Author Topic: Refill 1lb Propane Tank or Take 20lb along / & Mr Heater Big Buddy Question  (Read 42423 times)

Air4Andy

• IceShanty Rookie

• Hmmm... I guess I'll HAVE to go ice fitchin'
That is exactly my question.  I just bought Y-Splitter and 2 5ft hoses so I can run a 20lb propane tank on my Mr Heater Big Buddy.  I never thought about refilling a 1lb.  I am pondering returning my $50 dollar worth of parts and buy a refill adapter.  What do you think?

Also...   question about the big buddy heater.  Is it just me, or does your heater (when on high) turn off when the propane tanks are still like 1/2 or 1/3 full?  Then you can turn it back on high again and it will stay lit for maybe 10 minutes.  Turn it on again , then on for 5 minutes.  I have to run the thing on medium for a while.  Then the same thing happens.  10 min, 5 min, etc.  Then low for ever to empty my 1lb tanks.  I wish It would just run on high until the tanks are empty.  Are your guys Big Buddy heaters the same?  Thanks!

grumpymoe

you are not alone on this one....experience the same thing....drives you nuts....one of the biggest problems is too much air....what I did with mine, was wrap some electrical tape around the opening to restrict even the lightest amount of breeze that blows it out.....unless the tank is 3/4 full or more, it just poops out....danged if I can reason why.....sometimes I'd just like to boot the thing.....Grump

Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Addict

If anybody has a propane heater that works like it's supposed to please tell us about it. I've got a Paulin model 5500 that I thought would be perfect for heating the shanty. It puts out 3500 btu's and is supposed to last 7 hrs on a single 16 oz. tank. Trouble is, unless it's over 20 degrees out it doesn't work. Dang thing runs for five minutes and shuts off.

I've also got a larger sunflower Mr. Heater that I use with a twenty pound tank, it won't work on the low setting and medium will drive me out of the shack, it eats propane and takes up too much room. I wish that little Paulin would work like it's supposed to, it would be perfect. I've called the company but all I get is an answering device and nobody ever calls me back. I've tried email on their website and get no response from that either.

So somebody, anybody, if you have one of these small propane heaters that works in cold temps like they're supposed to, please tell me about it ;D

Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac

I have a Mr Heater Buddy Heater and have no problems at all.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

grumpymoe

I forgot to mention that I also have an older Coleman 3000 btu that works of the 1lb tanks and will run a tank completely empty on low setting in about 6hrs.....Grump

MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict

If anybody has a propane heater that works like it's supposed to please tell us about it. I've got a Paulin model 5500 that I thought would be perfect for heating the shanty. It puts out 3500 btu's and is supposed to last 7 hrs on a single 16 oz. tank. Trouble is, unless it's over 20 degrees out it doesn't work. Dang thing runs for five minutes and shuts off.

I've also got a larger sunflower Mr. Heater that I use with a twenty pound tank, it won't work on the low setting and medium will drive me out of the shack, it eats propane and takes up too much room. I wish that little Paulin would work like it's supposed to, it would be perfect. I've called the company but all I get is an answering device and nobody ever calls me back. I've tried email on their website and get no response from that either.

So somebody, anybody, if you have one of these small propane heaters that works in cold temps like they're supposed to, please tell me about it ;D
If you went to a bigger tank in colder weather, it would probably work fine.  The tank takes the air temperature to make vapor for usage when it is called for.  The smaller the tank, the less surface area to pull heat from.  When it gets too cold for the tank to make vapor, your heater will take all the vapor out of the tank and refrigerate it.  This means no more vapor for your heater to run on.  When you shut off your heater, the tank will build up more vapor and then will run for awhile more, until the tank refrigerates again.  That is why 1# tanks are almost worthless in cold weather.  Just a few words of advice from Hank Hill.
GO UCONN HUSKIES!!!

Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Addict

Why won't my Mr.Heater work on low with the twenty pound tank then ???

MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict

It sounds like something is wrong with the temperature adjustment.
GO UCONN HUSKIES!!!

Air4Andy

• IceShanty Rookie

Dont get me wrong, this heater (Big Buddy) works awesome!!!  I just cant seem to empty the 1lb tank.  It'll drain until 1/4 left or so and then turn Off like I said.  My real question is...   Is refilling a 1lb tank worth it or a hastle???

MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict

You can refill a 1# with an adapter that you can buy, but I would never refill a 1# tank.  They are not meant to be refilled. 
GO UCONN HUSKIES!!!

Flagtailhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular

I use a sunflower type of heater.  I purchased a 5lb refillable propane tank for it.  Not as bulky as a 20lber and has enough propane in it to last the day.  It did cost me as much as a 20lb tank though.  Just another option for you.

TMBWarriors

• Team IceShanty Regular

• walleye
Don't get me wrong, this heater (Nig Nuddy) works awesome!!!  I just cant seem to empty the 1lb tank.  It'll drain until 1/4 left or so and then turn Off like I said.  My real question is...   Is refilling a 1lb tank worth it or a hastle???

[/quote}  Lowe's  was 2.25 each and i bought a case.They only lasted 3 weekends,The better is 20 lber but they are very heavy although they will last for several weekends.Biggest problem with the 1 pndrs is they freeze up fast and when you use the large BTU heaters the liquid propane can't turn into gas fast enough.I have at least 10 different heaters and my fav is the big buddy. :)

ToeCheese

• Team IceShanty Regular

if your going to refill the 1lbs a couple things to know. when they are empty put them in the freezer first they fill much better and are less likely to leak. if you fill them while warm they tend to get froz open and leak. good luck.

fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Night time is the right time!
You can refill a 1# with an adapter that you can buy, but I would never refill a 1# tank.  They are not meant to be refilled. 
That refilling move doesn't always work. Some tanks will fill, others will not. Even same brand tanks. Adaptor? Save your money!  Rich
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict

When I want portability, light weight yet a good quantity of propane, I use my 5 lb tank instead of my 20 lb tank.

Air4Andy

• IceShanty Rookie

I love by Big Buddy!  I did go with the 20 lb tank...   AWESOME!  Lasts many trips.  U Haul refills the tanks and will charge according to how much propane is put in, not a flat rate.  Works awesome!

rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict

One of the earlier posts had the answer to the 1#/big heater problem: the colder it is, the slower the LP evaporates, also the higher the load, the colder the tank becomes, chilling the LP even more, slowing the evaporating even more,yada, yada,
 end result: less fuel in tank, less output available. there is probably a safety in the heater that closes the valve if the pressure is too low, shutting it off.
   as to refilling: if you're not completely comfortable and knowledgeable about refilling propane, stick with the proffessionals, pick up a 5 or 10 lb'er. ;) :tipup: better safe to fish another day than save a couple bucks
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Wissota Bear

• IceShanty Rookie

I have a Mr Heater Buddy Heater and have no problems at all.  I like using a 20lb tank, I don't like running out of fuel midday.

zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Yeah my Big Buddy does the same- runs great until about a quarter full- then she shuts down and the 1 lbs cylinders get cold and covered in frost. I, too, am going to switch over to either a 5, 10 or 20 lbs tank. Personally, I don't use my gas grill in the winter, so I will probably just use the exchange tank off of it over the winter.

dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict

Best bet is to keep the propane tank a bit closer to the heat source.  That way, the liquid fuel will be warm and will continu to give off vapours until the tank is empty.

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Gearcor | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | Cabelas
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved