Author Topic: FL-8 vs FL-18  (Read 9226 times)

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
Re:FL-8 vs FL-18
« Reply #30 on: Dec 11, 2003, 11:50 AM »
Hey Hard_H20,

You really answered my question well about the ice transducers.  Thank you!  I was wondering do u have to have special transducer to split the bottom 6 feetup or is that paticular to all Fll18.  I see what you are talking about being only 2 models of the Fl18.
  The genz model doesnt have power leads for an external battery source.  Nor does it have a switch for the dual tranduces (9,19).  Or a lure box.  is the genz box better than the ultra pack box tho?
  I think I am going to buy the ultra pack fl18 also the 30, 9/19 split tranducer and an extra battery for the pack.  Is there anything else You would suggest.
   Does velxair or any other manufacture make a digital tem guage that can be put in the hole to see where the best watercolumn temp is??

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 11, 2003, 12:59 PM »
An FL-18 with a dual cone transducer in the Ultra Pak should be all you need. That comes with the battery status indicator and a nice charger.

For boxes and cases from Vexilar you have the Ultra, Pro, Value, Soft, and Genz.
http://vexilar.com/products/fl-assy.html

If you want a dual cone transducer you buy the transducer and then mount the switch to your box.

I have mine in the old style Genz blue box. The battery sits in a compartment behind the handle. The battery leads are routed under the handle to the battery. I am getting an Ultra case to mount mine in. It is nice to be able to tuck it into a bucket. The new style Genz box is designed with holes for mounting your accessories. It also has a universal transducer hole. It is designed to sit on top of a bucket. It will not fit in the bucket though.
http://vexilar.com/products/fl-assy.html#uc-100

The Ultra has a master on/off switch, built in rod holder, posts for charging, Ice-ducer float holder, universal transducer holder, cable storage and a tackle box holder. It also sits a bit higher and seems to allow a bit more of a tilt of the unit. It wil sit in a five gallon bucket.
http://vexilar.com/products/images/vexilar_ultra_pack.jpg

The Pro pak is a round box that uses the P-160 carrying case.
http://vexilar.com/products/fl-assy.html#p-160

The Value Pak uses the P-100 carying case.
http://vexilar.com/products/fl-assy.html#p-100

The soft pak is a soft cover that you can fit the P-100 and P-160 boxes in.
http://vexilar.com/products/fl-assy.html#softpack

The only problem I have had with my FL-8 is the charger. I bought an aftermarket charger and I have had no problems.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 11, 2003, 01:01 PM »
The bottom zoom feature is specific to the FL-18.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 11, 2003, 01:56 PM »
Da Roc,
    You may want to think twice about getting the 19* transducer for the FL-18. This is what vexilar has to say about the 19* transducer for the FL-18:
The FL-18 was developed mainly for Walleye and Perch fisherman to enable them to see these fish very close to the bottom. Although the wide beam transducer will plug in and work with the FL-18, it has too much "dead zone" to perform well for this application. Therefor, a 19 degree cone is not offered with the FL-18.
You should probably go to the vexilar web site at www.vexilar.com and read everything you can about it. That's what I did to help me make my decision as to what I wanted to get.
Ken                                          

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 11, 2003, 02:09 PM »
Hi Guys!
   I fish alot of shallow areas under 10 feet deep.  I was wondering about the 19 degree because of the shallow depths.  I fish in merky water and cannot site fish or the lake is totally green under the ice.  I find alot of big green sunfish in the cover.  Will the vex shoot in shallows and thin cover.
  Thanks
Da-Roc

P.S.  The other two brand  ice machines offer only 20 degree tranducer.  So now there not an option!
  Your teaching me alot and I really appreciate it tons!!

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE SMALL ONES BACK!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #35 on: Dec 11, 2003, 02:25 PM »
ROC
       I went to the vexilar site and bought the cone for my fl18 you are talking about,, it is supposed to reduce the glare in sunlight,, i like the vex   I am still having trouble with identifiing the bottom structure, and also if fish are present  until i get some to move,, i am new this myself.. it is good seeing the fish come after your jig.. if i just check a hole, I cannot tell if there are fish right away  until i drop a jig.. but my catch improved alot last year compared to when i did not have a unit..
i miss hits because i am watching the screen.. also with 2 holes next to each other and 2 rods I can see them both  i have the 9 degree ducer  good luck
                    rick

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 11, 2003, 02:26 PM »
For shallow water you may want or need an S cable. If you have an FL-8http://vexilar.com/help/tips/tip012.html

The FL-18 has the suppression built in.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 11, 2003, 02:34 PM »
  Does velxair or any other manufacture make a digital tem guage that can be put in the hole to see where the best watercolumn temp is??

Here is the deptherm from Vexilar http://vexilar.com/products/deptherm.html
Not digital but it looks like it will do what you want.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 11, 2003, 02:56 PM »
For those that are colorblind, Vexilar has a Blue LED conversion to help you see the display better. It costs $60 plus $6.50 shipping. It can be done on the FL-8SLT, FL-8SE, and the FL-18. Here's a quote from Vexilar:
Here's an interesting option for those of you who may be color blind to
the FL series display or just looking for a change to the look of your unit.
Finally, with the availability of lower cost Blue LEDs we are now able
to offer a Blue Light Conversion.

The Green LEDs are replaced with Blue. The result is a stunning change
in the appearance for your FL series unit. The strong signal color, red, stays as
it is. The weak signal color, Green, gets changed to a vibrant Blue. The
medium, Orange, signal color then changes to a bright Purple. This
conversion can be done for less than $70, including return shipping and
a complete system check-up.
Ken                                          

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 11, 2003, 03:05 PM »
Hey Hard-H20,
   I think I can now make an informed decision on what i need.  I went to the vexlair site and found the temp guage. It is exactly what I am looking for.  You are a great source of information. I truely appreciate all the technical information.  I think now I can make a very informed choice on which Ice unit to buy.
    Thank You
      Da-Roc

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 11, 2003, 03:14 PM »
I usually know where to get the information. The internet is a great tool. Someone does all the work and I get the credit.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #41 on: Dec 11, 2003, 04:01 PM »
I have been using my fl-8 also in open water on a boat for years, but cannot go over about 2 or 3mph because of the puck type transducer. My neighbor has a old hummingbird flasher and it works very good too. What does the bottom lock do?

panfishhead

« Reply #42 on: Dec 11, 2003, 09:04 PM »
TX, to all who have responded to this thread. The FL-18 without a doubt has a whole lot more going for it. But I gotta agree with Hard h2o my FL-8 works perfectly well and I am familar with the unit and how all the features work. Right now its difficult to justify shelling out the $$$$ to upgrade the unit when in Indiana we barely get an 8 week ice season some winters. ::)  Once again thanks for all the responces. STAY ON TOP, GOOD LUCK & TIGHT LINES  >>>>>>>>>>>  panfishead   ................  //  mark  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.