Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: safe ice yet?  (Read 4139 times)

Offline IOWA BASSER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bass Fisherman at Heart - but I love the Hardwater
safe ice yet?
« on: Dec 05, 2003, 04:00 PM »
does anyone know of any safe ice here in Iowa yet?

I've seen a few smaller ponds covered with ice here in central IA - but it's not safe - an inch maybe!
BASS WISHES AND TIGHT LINES !!

Berkley

Re:safe ice yet?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2003, 12:19 PM »
hey basser ive been out twice i went out saturday and today sunday im heading back out after dinner I live in NW iowa i fish morse lake alot there been beween 3-4 inches of ice the snow hasnt helped it much but still good ice been catching perch well actually some small alot small but still good size fish coming out of there.  Hopefully the cold weather will help thicken the ice this week so maybe next weekend itll be even thicker.  Unil then good luck and be safe.

Dan

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2003, 09:19 AM »
Yeah, nothing near safe here in Central IA....heard Little wall had some fishable ice, but that was the furthest south I have heard of ice thus far.  THis snow and rain crap is killing the ice and making it very tough to get formed.  Was hoping to be on at least Lost Lake (at Big Creek) by Christmas, but dont know if that will happen now.

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

Randy Cox

« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2003, 03:41 PM »
I am from central Iowa and have not seen any safe ice anywhere.  This time of year it seems that the ice will never come.  All we can do is wait.  Has anyone been to the new sportsman shop in Ankeny.  They have a good selection of poles and power augers.  It just opened on dec. 6th.  Its worth checking out.

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2003, 11:44 PM »
yup, I am dying for ice and the only thing keeping me sane is hunting and reorganizing my gear over and over again.  About have my new buzz stick and strike sensors worn out and havent had them out of the house yet.  This weather isnt helping any either in terms of ice forming.  Sportsmans Warehouse is my new favorite hangout....spent too much money there already!  ;D

goody

Des Moines, Iowa

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2003, 07:07 PM »
NW IA has plenty of safe ice. I been to Big spirit Anglers Bay twice. Nice crappie, some real nice gills, and some decent perch. Have also fished Sd and MN once each. Smaller lakes in IA have safe Ice also, and after the last couple nights More of Big Spirit is safe I bet.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline IOWA BASSER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bass Fisherman at Heart - but I love the Hardwater
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2003, 12:34 PM »
Now we are making ice 10 deg. at nigh and a high of 20 - won't be long here now ;D ;D ;D
BASS WISHES AND TIGHT LINES !!

will37

« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2003, 08:54 AM »
 :D Looking for safe ice in eastern Iowa. Eager to get started . Bought a new Genz rod and need to try it out. Good fishing and be careful.

Offline KeystoneICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2003, 09:43 PM »
Hey I am also from Eastern Iowa and I haven't been able to get out and check the Ice.  I am just wondering if anyone has been out.  
Time to fish.

Offline IaCop

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I came, I saw, I fished....
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2003, 06:20 AM »
Some lakes in Waterloo area are fishable.  North and South Prairie Lakes in Cedar Falls have a solid 2 1/2 inches of ice.

Offline supserdave

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2003, 09:19 AM »
The mississippi is pretty good from gutternberg north I would say.

buzzdpm

« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2003, 12:16 PM »
goody,
This is my first winter in the Des Moines area, have been to Big Creek over the fall but don't know where Lost Lake is.  Looking for crappies and walleyes...how can I find this lake.

Buzz

Randy Cox

« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2003, 01:15 PM »
Buzz,
Lost lake is the area just before the dam that leads into salorville.  There is a small channel that leads off the main lake into a larger area just before the dam.  It normally gets fishable ice way before the main lake.  But be carefull there are a lot of springs that stay open or do not freeze very thick.  Good luck ;D

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2003, 11:48 PM »
Yeah, TCOx hit it.  If you cross the bridge from Polk City after the main entrance take your first left after that bridge...keep taking lefts and it will take you down in there.  Once that ice is over 4", you wont be able to park down there as it will be packed.  Over 40 vehicles down there some days.  Lots of springs, some even stay wide open with over 10" of ice on the water.

goody

Des Moines, Iowa

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.