Author Topic: most perch caught in one day  (Read 7151 times)

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
most perch caught in one day
« on: Nov 20, 2003, 04:48 PM »
I was wondering what everyones best day of perch fishing was? Last year on Lake Manitoba myself and two buddies caught over 650 perch in 5 hours what ablast once we got on them it was non stop couldn't get your jig down to the bottom half the time.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:most perch caught in one day
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2003, 06:55 PM »
Your hands must have been just bloody meat after all that.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2003, 07:24 PM »
yeah they were stinging when my hands thawed out .

mngonefishing

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2003, 07:35 PM »
my brothers and i caught 62 in less then 2 hrs. we had two kids helping. Not. we had more then we could eat so we stoped.

Perchaddict

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2003, 08:01 PM »
Took a friend out for his first ice fishing adventure 4 seasons ago. We caught over 200 in 4 hours, kept around 70. He said "Is it always like this". My reply was "hardly, but it sure is great when it is".

Ice_Dog

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2003, 11:35 AM »
 Over here in Vermont on Lake Memphremagog we have had a few good days, We have caught up to 400 fish a day between the 3 of us. When we catch that many we release most of them we usally keep about 50 to 75. We like to let the big spawning females go to produce for next winter :D

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2003, 04:28 PM »
Last winter on a lake just outside of Tawas MI...We caught 83 perch in just under three hours. Beautiful day too...sun was out, 5 inches of clear ice. You could see the perch fighting as you pulled them in. Makes me smile just thinking about it!

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2003, 08:50 PM »
 ;D yeah isn't it great when you can see them fighting under your feet.

mooseslayer

« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2003, 01:49 AM »
up here in northern maine theyre considered junk fish. kids catch them and play hockey with them.one time when the trout werent biting we went in this perch infested area and three of us armed with smelt lineswith three hooks on each line caught over 300 in 2hrs. many over a pound.anyone that wants perch email me and ill send you in the right direction.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2003, 08:24 AM »
Jacksmelt, Im on my way. As soon as my kid gets better.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE SMALL ONES BACK!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2003, 09:24 AM »
Yeah Jack
              why is that in maine they say perch are junkfish.. I have heard that before... have you ever tried eating them.. if not you should  you would be in for a treat... if perch are junk fish.. what is a carp a
delicacy.. seriously perch are excellent table fare.

bubby

« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2003, 02:33 PM »
Many of the warmwater fish are considered junk fish in Maine. Bass, pike, crappie, and perch are not native and many feel they destructive to the native coldwater species. I love fishing for both so I never complain.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2003, 03:37 PM »
Well, I have to agree about bass and pike being junk fish, but disagree about crappie and perch. BUT........to each his own.
Pete Lewis

Offline alpinehigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • jigging rapala is a great ice lure
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2003, 03:41 PM »
Many of the warmwater fish are considered junk fish in Maine. Bass, pike, crappie, and perch are not native and many feel they destructive to the native coldwater species. I love fishing for both so I never complain.
Can you explain the diff. between warm and cold water fish. We got cold water here for 6 months a year and the pike, bass and perch do great. If your talking cold water species as being lake trout cuz they are so deep then i dont think they would be in competion for food with perch and bass.
just wondering

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2003, 04:28 PM »
There's a lake we fish (hardwater only) that boots 12-14"ers for a couple weeks early and late ice. And man the stomachs...and I was out on her today as she just froze over and I will be camping for the next few weeks ,I don't want to catch 200 of those as the word would get out for sure.Jumbos on tip-ups...it doesn't get any better than that!
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2003, 04:43 PM »
Trophy Hunter thats pretty good, around 43 per hour. I don't fish for them, but caught 80 of them one night from 11p.m. till 1am.
You guys got me beat.

mooseslayer

« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2003, 10:56 PM »
DONT HAVE NOTHING PERSONEL AGAINST PERCH IN THIER NAITIVE WATERS JUST DONT LIKE WHAT THEYVE DONE TO THE LAKES UP HERE.THEY TOOK OVER  AND RUINED MANY A GOOD TROUT FISHERY.DONT MIND CATCHING THEM ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU CAN CATCH 2 AT A TIME ON A SMELT LINE.GREAT FUN! MY SON LOVES THEM TOO. THEYRE EASY TO CATCH.

Jam_Jam

« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2003, 01:09 PM »
Do perch bite all night long?  Just curious about their activity at night Vs the day...more or less or any?

Thanks

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2003, 06:35 PM »
In my experience the perch bite shuts down completely when darkness falls and does not pick up again until half hour or so after sunrise.  Perch seem to be most aggressive midday....

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2003, 06:49 PM »
I don't hardly fish for them But, everyone around here says that once the sun sets and it isn't even dark yet the shut down. True, in most cases. I fish nights, sometimes till 3 or 4 am. and catch them mixed in with gills and crappies. Only on certain lakes. I might be wrong but if you have a lake with no preditors there are not scared to death hideing in the weeds. These buggers feed all night. Cool huh?

Offline frozen fingers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2003, 06:50 PM »
Oneida Lake in the 80`s
caught 209 in one day In those days-1 pole-1 lure-20 fow-hand over hand action.Never looked up that day.all you did is send the lure down by hand and then pull up. they were there for 4 days.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2003, 07:36 PM »
My wife,2 young brother in laws and myself caught over 400 out on Brest bay in Lake Erie some years back.

iceman670

« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2003, 10:45 PM »
Never counted but when the harbors on Lake Michigan froze over a few years ago it wa s non stop for 6 hours. Was a blast. The Chicago harbors are pretty good all winter long but has never been that good again.

RonP

Offline ecsteelheader

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "LIFE IS SHORT,FISH HARD!!!!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2003, 11:12 AM »
Me and my buddy caught over 150 white perch in 5 hours at a local lake this past winter,and kept 50 each,,,they taste sooooo good ;D
work is for people who dont fish!!!!!

mooseslayer

« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2003, 11:58 PM »
UP HERE YOU CAN CATCH PERCH ALL NIGHT. WE USUALLY CATCH THEM NEAR THE BOTTOM,SOME TIMES 2 OR 3 AT A TIME ON A 3 HOOK SMELT RIG.WE TRY TO FISH CLOSER TO THE TOP TO AVOID THEM.

crappieman6

« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2003, 06:55 PM »
Ok guys confess up what was the average size of those zillion perch.

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2003, 03:53 AM »
It is good to hear that people catch them at night sometimes. I have only caught a select few after sunset but they have been fat ones. Most caught in 1 day fishing is over a hundred but in the 5 to 9 inch range. Jacksmelt.......I have been trying to get up there to fish with Jim C. for a couple years now and would like to know if I ever make it would you like to hook us up for some perch fishing  ??? I may be able to get my buddy fat boy up that way this season but not sure. I will run it by him today or tomorrow. :'( :'( :'(    

grumpymoe

« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2003, 11:52 AM »
best day around a 100 or so--i jig for mine so i only use one rod--when the bite is hot and heavy, its enough keeping up. my buddy likes 2 lines and complains when he doesn't get a wobbly pop for a couple of hours  ::) ::)

mooseslayer

« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2004, 12:37 AM »
GENZ MAN IF YOU WANT SOME PERCH JUST E MAIL ME AND ILL SET YOU UP.BRING PLENTY OF BAIT AND WARM CLOTHES AND LET THE FUN BEGIN!USUALLY CATCH SOME NICE BROOKIES IN THE SAME AREAS SO BRING SOME PIMPLES + KAST MASTERS.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2004, 01:26 AM »
i personally have caught in excess of 100 perch many times...however, my "best" day of perch fishing was canadarago lake, ny, where i caught 26 perch 1lb or over

here's a pic of me, all windburnt up from the weather, holding up two of them
http://www.iceshanty.com/iceshanty/pages/184.shtml

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.