Author Topic: Clam 5600  (Read 19126 times)

pokemon

Clam 5600
« on: Nov 17, 2003, 06:04 PM »
Can anyone give me the good and bad about this shanty I have been fishing the shapell 2000 for a couple of years and would like to upgrade to a larger shanty. One I could at least stand up in. I am about to purchase one in the next day or two so any help would be great.

Wables

Re:Clam 5600
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2003, 10:15 PM »
Whether or not this is a good shack depends on how you fish.  It is one of the more comfortable shacks I have fished out of for two guys, and it is well build.  The problem I had (sold mine this year) was that it was tough to set up in the wind, and wasn't real mobile.  It is definitely not a run and gun shack, but it will make a great base camp for watching tipups.  I bought an Otter Lodge for this year.  I think it will make me more mobile and catch me more fish.  If you are looking for a flat floor, tent style, this is not a bad choice.

Offline HEADHUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Praying for 3 more weeks of ice!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2003, 01:45 AM »
I own the same Shappell.  It was a hand me down from some friends of mine that bought fishtrap pros.  I just purchased the 2 man fishtrap guide...looking forward to it.  Lots of room but you cant stand up. THey obviously are made for easy set up and take down.

Offline rksolid

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2003, 09:15 AM »
I purchased on two years ago and love.  It is hard to set up in wind but any type of ice house that design is when it's windy.  Only room for two, it can get tight when two fisherman with gear are in it.  I would of went bigger but the 5600 was just the right size to haul in the back of my avalance.  Once ice fishing starts my gear goes in the back and stays there till season is over.  

AdkGuidesForHire

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2003, 01:00 AM »
 maybe I black out a lot but my clam 5600 is extremely portable, any tent is a pain to set up in the wind, I run my auger down through one of the tow ropes and then drop my anchors out, THEN lift the sail...errrr...I mean canvas.

it's very light for it's size, I put it in and out of my truck box alone, I wouldn't want to have to carry it on my head, but it's light enough for me to stack my XL jed sled fully loaded on top and pull it.

even with a heater 2 guys have plenty of room with gear, how much are you bringin out for pete's sake?

I can't stand in it but I can be comfortable in it sitting.

If I could figure out how to post a picture I'd send one of me and the clam 5600 over.

pros: it's light. roomy, easy to set up, built well, easy to use once you get used to the quirks of how the bungees hold the cover on, and it's warm even with no heater.

drawbacks are it's windows are too low and small, I can't see out of them unless I sit on the floor, maybe it was designed in asia. the wood covers for the jiggin holes last for crap, the plastic little doobies that hold the doors in place should be replaced right away with metal straps bolted in the floor, and setting up on uneven ice is a bit tough because of the hinge in the floor, not horrible but a little annoying.

tow rope needs to be lots longer for american sized fishermen, but that's all little things.

most other shanties I have used required you to crawl in and out like a pup tent, or had one sided floors, handy but cold and you have to step around an ice hole going in and out. most smaller ones had no windows at the time either.

the 5600 floor space is about 4 x 6 ish and three guys could jig there no problem, 9 times out of 10 we are in there just to get warm and sit down out of the wind and cold and are in spots where we don't want to lug a built shanty or can't.

I have a few 5600's and if you were close I'd sell you one used for $300, mice chew holes are included free as is the broken jig cover holder thingy. I'm in northern NY.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.