Author Topic: Ready for the Big Freeze!  (Read 2596 times)

Panfish2

Ready for the Big Freeze!
« on: Nov 10, 2003, 11:50 PM »
My new Frabill Venture is ready. My two new St.Croix PIR 28 UL ice rods are ready. My new Jet Sled is ready. My Aqua-Vu is ready. And I'm ready!

Need a better hand auger. Anyone have that 8 inch High-Velocity Hand Auger made in Finland that Cabela's sells for $99.99?

I have a Jiffy gas auger, but won't haul that monster on the ice until it gets above 16 inches, which may not even happen here in SE PA.

And by the way, I'm not waiting for the ice, as I'm still fishin'. As long as there is open water, I'll be at it. Hard to believe that some folks do not fish cept' on the ice. And others do not fish cept' in the summer. Fishin' all year round is much better than sitting home wishing. Not?

SafeIce

Re:Ready for the Big Freeze!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2003, 03:20 AM »
Sounds good Panfish............Hey you still going to get a Flasher? Saw a real good deal on a Zercom 3 point color flasher at a local sporting goods shop.I have a buddy that has one never had a problem with it. Might save you a buck or two.

Regards, NorthernMich.......... ..(AKA) SafeIce

Panfish2

« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2003, 05:40 PM »
Here's the way the flasher situation shapes up NorthernMich. After doing the research, I've decided the FL18 Dual Beam Ultra Pack is the unit I want. It sells for $479.95 at Cabelas.

There are two lakes that I plan to do most of my ice fishing, and due to the fact that I fish these lake spring, summer, and fall, I know both of these lakes very well, so I already know where the structure is located.

Due to this fact, I've decided to forego the purchase of a flasher unit at this time because I want to see if my Aqua-Vu can do the job. If it doesn't, then I'll probably bite the bullet, and get the Vexilar FL18.

I tried to convince my wife to buy it for me as a Christmas present, but when she learned of its cost, she seemed to lose interest rather quickly. Guess I'm not worth that much. Heck, we've only been married 40 years.  ::)

I'm going fishin' tomorrow. It's a bit cold & wet, but it's been 4 days since I've been fishing, and I can't stand it anymore.

mngonefishing

« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2003, 06:58 PM »
the vexiler will tell you how deep they are. if you use the Aqua-Vu it will scare them away if you move it. so unless you are just bottem fishing?

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2003, 07:18 PM »
Panfish2,
My son and I were at the Hamburg PA Cabelas this past weekend and the FL-18 ultra pack w/dual beam transducer was priced at $439.99!  I couldn't believe it, but when I asked the salesman he said they (single beam and dual beam) both were the same price.  I still think he mismarked them, but who am I to question the Cabela's staff ;D ;D.  We bought it! (saving $40.00).
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

SafeIce

« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2003, 07:43 PM »
Gander Mt also had the Ultra Pac for $439.00.......

There ya go Panfish.......Tell Ma your saving $40.00

By the way congrats on the 40 years!

Panfish2

« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2003, 08:00 PM »
You guys sure ain't makin' it easy on my wallet, cause everytime I read what you have to say about the Vex, I want one real bad. And now baginwal went and bought one. Oh Lordy, what to do.

Back in 82 we had real thick ice. Busted my hump with the hand auger, so I bought the Jiffy Model 30 in 83. Well guess what? Didn't have thick ice for the next upmteen years, and that Jiffy sat in the box. I just know if I buy that Vexilar we'll have the warmest winter on record. If I don't buy it, we'll have one of the coldest, and they'll be all sold out.  :o

Offline Bob_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • crappie nut
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2003, 09:38 PM »
 I hate to say it panfish, don't buy the vex.lol I want to ice fish this year. ;D

Panfish2

« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2003, 10:12 PM »
Okay Bob_G, I hear ya'! Better sharpen yer' auger blades, cause I ain't buying the Vex until we have fishable ice.  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.