Author Topic: window alarm on my tip-up  (Read 15788 times)

Offline southend517

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saginaw Bay MI
window alarm on my tip-up
« on: Jan 16, 2007, 04:51 PM »
with no Ice I was bored and got an idea from someone on michigan-sportsman.com "bigbob".  So I went to the Dollar Tree bought an alarm with batteries for $1 and went to town. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzV0sSHFYIE

Offline pletch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: window alarm on my tip-up
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2007, 05:05 PM »
I did that last year, it works great. I also added an LED to the top of the alarm so it can be seen at night!
ice is your friend

camo_fish

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2007, 06:04 AM »
holly smokes, that is a loud nasty little noise, there.  ;D  8)

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2007, 09:11 AM »
beats those $20 ones at gander...

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2007, 11:48 AM »
I found a nice door alarm online that has a LED strobe light built in!!! im gonna guy a couple and see how they work at night!! here is the ling to the door alarms

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31825&TabID=1&C=SEO&U=StaticPages&doy=search&MenuName=Door%20Alarm   

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2007, 06:14 PM »
I would rather miss the fish than listen to that thing! :o

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2007, 06:25 PM »
I'm with you Skipper!!  That is helpful for about 1 second then the ensuing shotgun blasts will make it useless....

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2007, 11:26 PM »
If I heard that out on the ice, you would have to beat me over there before I sunk it down in the drink.  I think I'd rather listen to my wife talk about her stained glass class!!!

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2007, 04:05 PM »
not to burst your bubble but i did that to my tip ups last year and when its real cold the batteries give out and sirens arent loud

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2007, 07:29 PM »
i bought a couple of them last year to try them out and man that sound is too annoying for me!! i took them right off

Offline iceprowler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • flag's up!!! RUN
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2007, 10:54 AM »
sounds like a pissed off bat stuck in a landing net i would rather look out a see a flag than hear the noisy thing

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2007, 11:19 AM »
I think I used the exact same alarms on mine last year.  Rigged them up a little different, epoxied the alarm part to the tip-up base, and tyed the magnet to the flag.  And they do give out when its cold.  Works great at last ice.  I really liked them when we were camping on the lake, and we fished burbot at night, the alarm would get us up out of the tent when we'd have one on.  And you can set the alarm to a more pleasant chime, which is what I use, I can't stand that setting either.

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2007, 11:25 AM »
Well it becomes a pain in the a$$ when your fishing walleye at night and you have to keep looking out of the shack door with the spotlight! THE ONE PROBLEM GUYS THAT I HAVE NOTICED WITH THE DOOR/WINDOW ALARM IS THAT NOT ALL TYPES WORK WELL IN THE COLD! Make sure you test them out in cold temps before you bring them out on the ice! If anyone has some pictures of their Traps setup with the alarms post them please. I'd love to see everyones on homemade setups!

Offline frog eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2007, 11:32 AM »
I read on lake link.com about using a wireless doorbell. Makes sense as they are made for outside and you won't have everyone around crowding you when a few flags go up. You have to modify the button to a contactor switch to get it to work. I'm going to try it out. If it works I'll post a pic

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2007, 11:39 AM »
My cousin and his buddy have a wireless doorbell system.  They fish out of a big shack and have a few lines outside, the box inside is the only thing that makes the noise, and they even have them set to different tones so they know which line has a fish on it, as they're homemade and not made with a tip-up flag. Its setup with the line attached to a length of flexible steel which bends and completes the circuit.  They have no windows in the shack to see out of and they get weird looks some times on the lake when others are nearby, as they come out seemingly randomly, and go over to a line and pull out a fish, LOL, I have seen this setup in action and it works really well, I wish I had some pics.

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2007, 12:59 PM »
Try and get some pics! Sounds like a great setup!

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2007, 01:14 PM »
Try and get some pics! Sounds like a great setup!

He does frequent this site a little bit.  I will talk to him, but don't know if he has a digital camera.  He also doesn't live close to me either but if I am at his place sometime this winter I will take some pics.  It likely won't be for awhile, so don't expect pics anytime soon.  8)   Oooh yeah, just noticed this is my 500th post!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2007, 03:03 PM »
I know this is off topic but.... did ne one else see the vid. of the chick in a changing room after this vid. on youtube. lmfao
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2007, 02:20 AM »
Nice video
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline frog eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2007, 10:49 AM »
I finshed my project to convert a doorbell. It was a bit more complicated than I thought. It involved removing the button and soldering a level switch in its place. I added 3 ft of wire between the switch and actuator. When the flag goes up >> ding dong. I also had to add spade terminals to the switch so it doesn't drain the batteries in the bucket. I tried to take pics during the build but my camera could not focus that close and with a flash it glared the pic. I will get a vid with a better camera or have to read up on manual focusing.

Master angler > What's the title of the vid you are referring to? It must have got scrambled w/ replies.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2007, 09:02 PM »

Master angler > What's the title of the vid you are referring to? It must have got scrambled w/ replies.

That would be prshslyr about the vid, don't know the title.

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2007, 09:33 AM »
Good idea bro....and if I would happen to fall alsleep/past out it also acts as an alarm clock... :tipup:
HoosierPoleCat member since 2003

The high price of Freedom is a cost paid by a Brave few... Semper Fi

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2007, 04:08 PM »
You probably could cover that little speaker w/plumbers epoxy putty and I'm going to guess it would quite it way down. Also you might have to get lithium batteries as they work down to much lower temps than the others. They are going to cost you more than the alarm though but they should last for years at this chore. I got those (forgetting the name) alarms that can transmit to a receiver unit 600-900 feet away, It also has a blinking light. I have them on those thermo frabils. I hold them on w/good industrial Velcro to the base of the unit, a clip attaches to the flag, works like a charm but they are a lot more expensive. However if you have a job like mine where you can work as long as you like,..well I sometimes figure how long some project will take me and how long I will have to work to buy the alternative and usually if I keep working at my job I'm ahead.
(I understand though of the fun of playing around to make something work,...and I do sometimes spend much more time doing those things and it costs me a lot more than if I just went to work and payed for something with that money....)

Offline ULTRAlite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #24 on: Dec 31, 2007, 09:03 AM »
Don't think I would be a happy camper if I was 100 yrds from ya and kept hearing that every 15 minutes.  No worse that the Frabrill one though and I guess it's a way to keep neighbours away.  I just clamp a 3 prong bell onto my flag.  If you're not sleeping you can hear it.  ;D
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/cory_r_t/ablogo1xf11-1.gif[/img]     

VIDEO >> The 2010 Season Begins - EARLY ICE SESSION

Offline orviskid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2008, 09:00 PM »
it may help at night, but you need something smaller than that.those rigs are huge.you'd wake the whole lake up at night that thing.

Offline swirusek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2008, 10:22 AM »
I did mod like that on my tip ups
Here it is

Outside look

Big pic - http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/RobertK9/1-1.jpg

Inside the box

Big pic - http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/RobertK9/2-2.jpg

Set and ready to go

Big pic - http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/RobertK9/3-3.jpg

Video to show you how it works

The o-rings that you see on flag i use them for night fishing
I slide them up and put ligh stick in them

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2008, 11:03 AM »
i am making one using speaker wire and a preasure switch i will post a  pic if i can hit the lake today

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 31, 2008, 01:52 PM »
Looks great! But there kinda anoying....

Hey.. that gave me an idea.

I wonder if you could rig 5 or 6 of them to your shanty and when people start crouding around you set them all off. Then tell them you cant turn them off. Il bet you would have the only shanty in a 2 mile radius.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.