Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Shack Tips
Frabill Ultra lite
<< < (4/4)
Butthead:
I wanted something light for when I get out by myself, so I picked one up last week.  I then added an otter rod holder, otter hyfax for the sled, and some chain around the edge of the canvas.  Took it out yesterday and thought it worked great.  I use a frabill bucket for a seat.  I can put two tipups and my bait bucket in there.  All decked out, it is a little cheaper than the scout.  I can lift it with ease.

When I bring someone else with me I will use my Fish Trap Guide.
marmooskapaul:
I have been using the ultra lite for three years. For the price it is a good unit, the unit I have,pre 2003, weighs only 29 lbs.The only thing I don't like about the unit is the skirting is too short, but newer models are supposed to have a longer skirt? I use a bucket for a seat and this year I've added a 12 volt light as I am trying to do away with the lantern. Going to use a coleman focuse 5 heater when I need it. I always have to pull by hand so I try to keep it as light as I can and still be comfortable. Also I started using the carry strap off of a golf bag, the kind that goes over one of your shoulders, to pull the sled with, much easier. Paul
Brampton Mike:
 :clap: Go with the Fish Trap you wil not be sorry!!!!!! :whistle:Brampton Mike 8)
chumster:
I've had my ultralite for 3 years now. No complaints here. The black cover warms you up really good. My cover is a little short too but it still comes all the way down on the ice. I carry a lot of gear and sometimes walk a long way but my sled pulls smoothly across the snow and ice. I spray the bottom of my sled with a silicon spray before each use and it works wonders. Also, i've been out in 25-30 mph wind and didn't have any problem  like getting blown around or whatever. If you turn the sled with the back facing the wind, the arodynamics of the sled deflects the wind around and over you. You have to use short rods in it but they make lots of good short ones for every kind of fish. I use 24 and 28 inch rods and dont hit the ceiling when i set the hook. Rods longer than that, i do hit the top. All in all, i'm happy with mine. Light weight and portable. Just what i want. Oh yeah.... if you dont have a truck, like i dont, it will fit in the back seat of your full size car. I have a chevy caprice classic and it fits in there with no problem getting it in or out. Just put your equipment in the trunk, a blanket over the seat and you're good to go.
nepa old man:
Go scout, excellent & no complaints
Navigation
Message Index
Previous page

Go to full version