Author Topic: Frabill Ultra lite  (Read 8662 times)

Offline Bob_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • crappie nut
Frabill Ultra lite
« on: Nov 05, 2003, 10:00 AM »
  Help!!! I need some advice. I find myself in a pricarious situation. I can get one of these units ordered for me but, I have to put a deposit down. The problem is I have never seen one. The only unit that I have seen is the fish trap scout, so if any one could make the comparison and let me know which is better? I would be most grateful. There is a $50 difference in the cost between the two units and the frabill is the cheaper of the two.( go ahead call me a cheap skate) ;D any help is greatly apreciated.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
Re:Frabill Ultra lite
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2003, 11:48 AM »
Bob - have I answered you on three forums???  ;D ;D ;D

Go with the scout - built in seat, better engineering all around, better fabric.  Hands down, a MUCH better shelter.  Bigger too, I think.  Not even a comparison.

Offline Bob_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • crappie nut
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2003, 12:18 PM »
 Richstick, it is a small world! ;D

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2003, 12:55 PM »
among ice fishermen on the web it sure is!!! LOL! ;D Good luck with whatever you buy!

Offline swede7

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2003, 11:20 AM »
If you need a one man flip type shelter, ebay has an auction w/9 left of the Eskimo quick flip 1's, last yrs model, $95/free shipping. Seller is from Cumberland, WI, where they make 'em.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2003, 12:32 PM »
I bought one of those Eskimo's off of ebay. I received it about 10 days ago. For $95 with shipping included, I think it is a deal. It's just a bare bones single shanty, but it suits me fine. The cover material is the same as all the other eskimo's. The sled is the only thing that's a little on the thin side. I put a 1/4" piece of plywood in the bottom and attached a pair of old skis so the weight will be on them instead of the sled bottom. It doesn't come with a seat, but I was thinking of attaching a stadium seat somehow. I know i'll get $95 worth of use out of it.
Ken                                          

Offline swede7

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2003, 01:12 PM »
I'm w/you Bean, new to this stuff, but bought the 2 man eskimo for when the wee ones come along, then saw the 1 on ebay and decided no sense dragging more weight for when it's just me... sat in one last yr and figured it'll do just fine for me alone. gotta get a director's chair for it and I'll be set.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2003, 05:57 AM »
The new models for the 2003-2004 ice season have the added option of the MSS. This is a removable seat that has built in rod holders, drink holders, and compartment for a small jig box.

Offline fooman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2003, 11:11 PM »
All the Ranger models have the new seat Except the Ultra Lite. Bought 1 today. Compared to the Scout it is bigger.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2003, 11:26 PM »
All the Ranger models have the new seat Except the Ultra Lite. Bought 1 today. Compared to the Scout it is bigger.
According to the Frabill webite all Ranger models made for the 2003-2004 ice season have the MSS optional seating including the lite.

http://www.frabill.com/ice_access.html

#1706 Modular Seat System for Ultra-Lite Shelters.
Allows MSS to be added to Frabill Ultra-Lite shelter. Fits Frabill Ultra-Lite models manufactured beginning in 2003. Includes seat base, swivel bucket seat, aluminum seat support, and hardware

Offline fooman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2003, 09:02 PM »
The MSS seat system is standard on all Rangers but an option on the ultra lite.

PerchMeisterSD

Frabill Ultra Lite Solo
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2003, 03:06 PM »
Does anybody out there use a Frabill Ultra Lite one man shack?  Found quite a good deal on one  ;D, but not sure if it's going to be tough enough for full season use with the nylon cover.   They talk about using it in early and late ice conditions.  Any input is appreciated.

Rob V

« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2004, 07:05 PM »
Perchmeister, there's been a couple of threads on the subject of the Frabill units including the ultra lite. See the thread under general chit chat headed up "frabill ranger solo or ultralite" - there's a few fellas there that seem like they're very happy with their units.  I think its like anything else, if you use it for what it was designed for it'll do the trick.  I just bought one and  I expect it will suit me just fine.  Mind you I'm not able to get out fishing every day (darned working for a living) nor do I spend nights on the ice. The unit looks sturdy enough, but I don't think I'd expect it to stand up very well to 60 mph winds that type of extreme condition.

Rob V

Offline zakker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Frabill Ultra lite
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2004, 09:28 PM »
I know the thread is old, but I'll bump it up. Seems like alot of people do not like the Frabills. Granted some do, but a good majority dont. Personally, my XLtwin is awsome. And at this point, I am thinking of leaving the MSS seating system at home and saving 25lbs. of pull. I do like the roominess and the fact that it is black (heat absorbing). With my new set of UHMW runners I put on it, the sled should last forever. Frabill also has great customer service when I talked to them about which model I needed.

Offline zakker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2004, 08:50 AM »
According to the Frabill webite all Ranger models made for the 2003-2004 ice season have the MSS optional seating including the lite.

http://www.frabill.com/ice_access.html

#1706 Modular Seat System for Ultra-Lite Shelters.
Allows MSS to be added to Frabill Ultra-Lite shelter. Fits Frabill Ultra-Lite models manufactured beginning in 2003. Includes seat base, swivel bucket seat, aluminum seat support, and hardware

Those seats are heavy and cumbersome..... :(

Butthead

« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2004, 05:28 PM »
I wanted something light for when I get out by myself, so I picked one up last week.  I then added an otter rod holder, otter hyfax for the sled, and some chain around the edge of the canvas.  Took it out yesterday and thought it worked great.  I use a frabill bucket for a seat.  I can put two tipups and my bait bucket in there.  All decked out, it is a little cheaper than the scout.  I can lift it with ease.

When I bring someone else with me I will use my Fish Trap Guide.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2004, 09:38 PM »
I have been using the ultra lite for three years. For the price it is a good unit, the unit I have,pre 2003, weighs only 29 lbs.The only thing I don't like about the unit is the skirting is too short, but newer models are supposed to have a longer skirt? I use a bucket for a seat and this year I've added a 12 volt light as I am trying to do away with the lantern. Going to use a coleman focuse 5 heater when I need it. I always have to pull by hand so I try to keep it as light as I can and still be comfortable. Also I started using the carry strap off of a golf bag, the kind that goes over one of your shoulders, to pull the sled with, much easier. Paul

Offline Brampton Mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2004, 06:36 AM »
 :clap: Go with the Fish Trap you wil not be sorry!!!!!! :whistle:Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt and fish in heaven, then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 24, 2004, 08:48 AM »
I've had my ultralite for 3 years now. No complaints here. The black cover warms you up really good. My cover is a little short too but it still comes all the way down on the ice. I carry a lot of gear and sometimes walk a long way but my sled pulls smoothly across the snow and ice. I spray the bottom of my sled with a silicon spray before each use and it works wonders. Also, i've been out in 25-30 mph wind and didn't have any problem  like getting blown around or whatever. If you turn the sled with the back facing the wind, the arodynamics of the sled deflects the wind around and over you. You have to use short rods in it but they make lots of good short ones for every kind of fish. I use 24 and 28 inch rods and dont hit the ceiling when i set the hook. Rods longer than that, i do hit the top. All in all, i'm happy with mine. Light weight and portable. Just what i want. Oh yeah.... if you dont have a truck, like i dont, it will fit in the back seat of your full size car. I have a chevy caprice classic and it fits in there with no problem getting it in or out. Just put your equipment in the trunk, a blanket over the seat and you're good to go.

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2004, 03:03 PM »
Go scout, excellent & no complaints
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.