Author Topic: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........  (Read 255944 times)

Offline Illinoizboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicago, Il. No, I never met Al Capone.
Re: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........
« Reply #30 on: Nov 10, 2008, 08:41 PM »
I did a take off on your rod holders.
I had some light weight stick in the ground types with the circular ends.
I got some clear tubing from sears and ran it down on the circles.
I only made one bend at an up angle.
Drilled holes on either side just ahead of the metal corner.
Insert rods and they will stick in the ice. No need to permanently mount them.
I'm thinkin' they will also act as somewhat of a non skid item. ;D
One a Da Boyz from Illinoiz
U.S.A.F. Vietnam Vet 66-67

Hello,my name is John.... and I am an ICE HOLE.
God Bless our Troops.

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #31 on: Dec 05, 2008, 08:00 PM »
Last year I took the crappy stock seat out of my Scout and fitted my Ranger seat.  I had to lower the rails and use a slimline seat swivel so the whole business would fit under my tonneau cover on my truck.  Well, the seat was great, but it became evident that it was just too low.  So this time around I mounted a 3/4" pin deck plate to the original brackets the original seat was mounted to, and mounted the 3/4" pin plate to the seat.  Much better and comfortable to sit in, plus I can easily remove the seat for transportation.

What I will probably do in my Frabill Trekker II 2 man shack, is take one of the seat mounts and modify it to take another deck plate.  Then all I have to do is take the seat from one to the other.

"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 05, 2008, 08:02 PM »
Good stuff........ 8)

What about that space on the inside of the pole brackets.... ?  That'd be a great place for a few junk drawers..... anybody come up with anything for that space?
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 05, 2008, 11:19 PM »
Where is everyone getting those clips to mount these rod holders? I have one that I could cut up, but don't have any idea on where to start looking for something like that. Any help?

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #34 on: Dec 10, 2008, 08:25 AM »
Where is everyone getting those clips to mount these rod holders? I have one that I could cut up, but don't have any idea on where to start looking for something like that. Any help?

Electrical supply store.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #35 on: Dec 10, 2008, 08:29 AM »
I just wrote the company and the president, Ken Rheault, sent me a whole bag for free  ;D
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 10, 2008, 10:26 PM »

My holders came with the mounting hardware.  Will probably look for something different as those always loosen up.

MySpace

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2008, 03:26 PM »
Great tips.

Offline Illinoizboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicago, Il. No, I never met Al Capone.
« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2008, 10:38 PM »
I found that out today with my mounted boat seat in my Scout.
Had cramp in my back and leg the whole 2 1/2 hour drive home.
70 miles at 3+MPH in traffic
I have a fishing bud that already has me set up with the drop in swivel. ;D
One a Da Boyz from Illinoiz
U.S.A.F. Vietnam Vet 66-67

Hello,my name is John.... and I am an ICE HOLE.
God Bless our Troops.

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 13, 2008, 04:47 PM »
i got one! i call it a bungee cord!  ;)  :D

Exactly what I use to!!  Hook it on one side, up and over the seat and auger, then hooked on the other side.  I can tuck the fabric of the tent up in it to keeping it from dragging on the ice.  Quick and simple!!

MySpace

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 25, 2008, 07:27 PM »

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 25, 2008, 07:31 PM »
JJ those are called one hole straps. They also make two hole straps which would be even more secure if you dont mind drilling more holes. Anyway take the rod holder with you to the electrical supply house and check out which one fits best. The smaller ones are made for ground wire support. The larger ones are for mc cable or even conduit support.

Hardguy

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 03, 2009, 09:27 AM »
I tried my scout yesterday for the first time and did not like the feel i got at all. The seat plain sucks. I was going to give up on it . Instead today I removed the whole seat deal and will use my tried and true camp seat. In doing so i removed 13 lbs. and the seat is just great. A lot more open room to carry items and modify as i go along
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Papinner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 23, 2009, 02:49 PM »
Has anyone ever made a flip down foot stool to keep your feet off the ice, I've been thinking about doing something like that but not sure how or if it would work

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:00 AM »
Has anyone ever made a flip down foot stool to keep your feet off the ice, I've been thinking about doing something like that but not sure how or if it would work

I used to slide the seat back (I have the Scout) so my feet would sit on the edge of the tub nice and comfortably.  Now I have a piece of closed-cell foam I just put on the ice.  The foam doubles as a hole cover when I catch a fish I really want to keep from going back down the hole, too.  I guess you could put a piece of rope through the foam to keep it attached if you wanted.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline Papinner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:27 AM »
Thanks yesterday was my first day fishing in my scout and I dont think I'll need anything to keep my feet off the ice. I was really surprised at how warm it was in there. I didnt have a heater or a latern and it was 17 outside and the sun was shinning. I also made my own rod holders that are easily removable and a lot cheaper then the ones you buy. I'm very impressed with the scout I moved 5 times in 4 hours and its so easy to just get up and move. The tips on here really helped me out.

Offline Gill Jerker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 29, 2009, 07:37 PM »
Thanks yesterday was my first day fishing in my scout and I dont think I'll need anything to keep my feet off the ice. I was really surprised at how warm it was in there. I didnt have a heater or a latern and it was 17 outside and the sun was shinning. I also made my own rod holders that are easily removable and a lot cheaper then the ones you buy. I'm very impressed with the scout I moved 5 times in 4 hours and its so easy to just get up and move. The tips on here really helped me out.

Papinner, if you don't mind me asking, what did you give for your new scout?  I think I will be driving about 2 hours tomorrow to Michigan to get myself a new Pro.  I can drive about 30min and get a new Scout, but they want $250 for them at Gander, and I can buy the Pro for $299 (also at Gander).  I keep thinking $50 is worth having the extra room.

Thanks

Offline Papinner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 31, 2009, 11:48 AM »
I sent you a pm

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 01, 2009, 06:34 AM »
Great tips all. As for getting your feet off the ice, I picked up some floor mats made of plastic that have holes all through. Set them on the ice and your feet aren't on the ice and water. When I pack up band the mat on the ice and place it in the bottom and set every thing on top.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 10, 2009, 01:30 PM »

I meant to add this a long time ago but better late than never. The electrical clips that hold my rod holder (in the original pics) were constantly bending and I was always tapping them in again and it was annoying.
A few years ago I took apart a hindge and used the piece with the two "barrels"  that hold the pin. I primed, painted and installed with SS hardware. I did try to find a hindge with the closest diameter of the rod holder shaft. I hope this helps.

Doug >))))>

Here's a pic :

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 12, 2009, 04:34 PM »

I meant to add this a long time ago but better late than never. The electrical clips that hold my rod holder (in the original pics) were constantly bending and I was always tapping them in again and it was annoying.
A few years ago I took apart a hindge and used the piece with the two "barrels"  that hold the pin. I primed, painted and installed with SS hardware. I did try to find a hindge with the closest diameter of the rod holder shaft. I hope this helps.

Doug >))))>

Here's a pic :
(Image removed from quote.)

A hinge!!   Brilliant!!   Now I have a project for tomorrow   ;)  I can put the hinge on both the Scout and the Trekker II and just swap the rod holders between the two.   

MySpace

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 13, 2009, 01:29 PM »

I'm glad it helped .  ;)
Just make sure to check the end of the barrels. I found quite a few that looked like they would fit the rod holder shaft perfect only to find the barrels weren't round .. they were kinked almost in a triangle form.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 15, 2009, 10:03 AM »
I transport my Yukon on a hitch hauler on the back of my Durango.  If you put I-bolts on each end of the sled it makes a great tie down anchor point.  Also allows you to bungee your gear on the sled, or tow multiple units at one time (with a wheeler or snowmobile).  The ones I have it cut down so they do not stick so far into the sled.

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 15, 2009, 09:55 PM »
I transport my Yukon on a hitch hauler on the back of my Durango.  If you put I-bolts on each end of the sled it makes a great tie down anchor point.  Also allows you to bungee your gear on the sled, or tow multiple units at one time (with a wheeler or snowmobile).  The ones I have it cut down so they do not stick so far into the sled.

I do the same, both my shanties I have replaced the two "rope holes" with heavy duty stainless eyebolts with large stainless fender washers to spread the weight.  On the back I install the same eyebolt, but only a single one and right in the middle to act as a hitch in case I want to pull my Otter sled if I need more gear for gatherings etc.

MySpace

Offline CBOYCE1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 25" walleye on 2lb test with a 3mm jig STUD!!!!!
« Reply #54 on: Feb 18, 2009, 08:48 AM »
I can't take credit for this tip polar bear passed this one on to me but I didn't see it on this thread yet so I thought I would share it.  The idea is having a rod box or just a storage container that is light, durable, cheap, and also drains water away from your gear.  The answer was flower planting containers.  I got mine at wal-mart for $9 dollars.  Polar bear uses multiple sizes that cover the whole sled area.  I just use the long container as a rod holder and scoop transport.  The nice thing about these is the water that comes off the scoop is drained into a pan away from your gear.  I attached the container with 3 screws to make it stay put.

If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 20, 2009, 02:24 PM »
OK, I finally did the "hinge thing" for the rod holders today.  Too crappy to fish anyway.   I was afraid I got the wrong size because the hinge was a bit too small for the rod holder leg to fit in it.  Then I had a revelation to drill it out to the exact size I needed.  There was plenty of metal so thinning it was not an issue.  I'm not gonna bother to paint mine.

If you also notice in that picture, I have a nifty rod holder that snaps onto a bucket that I have on the seat rail bracket.  This holder is VERY handy!!

Also, a thing I came up with a few years ago, is how I carry my heater.  The heater I use in this shack is the Coleman EventCat.  It came with a plastic holder, because apparently they are also used in golfcarts.  I mounted that holder on the back of the sled between the seat rail bracket and the tents pole brackets.  This heater NEVER blows out, so once I light it I just keep it running the rest of the day.   This caused a concern when hole hopping, where to put it?  It slips right in this holder and I don't have to worry about burning anything.  When I get ready to fish, out of the holder it comes, and onto the ice where I usually have it.

And this is the stainless eyebolt I was talking about.  This is the one on the back I can use for a hitch, and there are two more on the front where the original line tie hole were in the sled.  I tie those climbing clip things onto the rope, so I can just clip the rope onto the eyebolts.  I use the same rope between the two shanties I have, just clip it onto the one I'm using that day.

MySpace

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Feb 20, 2009, 08:31 PM »
Can I let you borrow my Pro for a few weeks ::) ::)..... feel free to tinker.... ;)

Really nice mods Ba s s hole**!!!!!
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline Kelly Johnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 22, 2009, 02:17 PM »
WNYBASS...sweet!

I went to the hardware today to do that.
Of course I get very little time to myself and had the 6yo and 3yo and the hardware was a pitstop before sledding...so of course both kids have to tinkle in full sledding regalia in ACO ::) Than the little one smashes a glass globe replacement light. :-\

The pin on the hand grenade that are my children has been pulled and I see my time is dwindling and I can't find the right size....and than I found these for .99 ;D
I guess it's used to lock a loop into metal cable.

The rod holder was from Gander for 1.99. They were straight but I used the vise to give em an angle ;)

So when we got home...in the time it took my kids to take off their snow gear I had this...

Total cost-2.98

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #58 on: Aug 09, 2009, 10:31 AM »

A few years ago I took apart a hindge and used the piece with the two "barrels"  that hold the pin. I primed, painted and installed with SS hardware. I did try to find a hindge with the closest diameter of the rod holder shaft. I hope this helps.

Doug >))))>

Here's a pic :
(Image removed from quote.)

LoneWolf thanks for another great tip,installed hinges for my rod holders worked great!

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #59 on: Oct 07, 2009, 09:17 AM »
The office binder clips also work very well if you want to hang a rattle reel from the spreader poles.

I'll have to try the clips to hold the canvas on, it sounds like a great idea.

Wiener

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.