Author Topic: Finally! Lake Louise Report!  (Read 3062 times)

Offline AKanders

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'im!!
Finally! Lake Louise Report!
« on: Dec 29, 2006, 07:45 PM »
Hey Folks! 

Spent three days/two nights at the Wolverine Lodge on Lake Louise from the 22-25 of December.  Managed to get in about 6 hours of hard fishing, and it was well worth it!!  I have never fished for Lake Trout before, and as such, I had never caught one until this trip, and I tell you what I am HOOKED!!!  ;)  I loved reeling in fish from 40 FOW and having them freak out when they see the light from the hole!  They are fighters too, remind me alot of walleye, with the log action until they get close to you then off they go!!   :roflmao:  What a blast! 

I was fishing berkely glow minnows with strips of herring on a 3 ft leader of 8lb test connected to 6 lb berkley sensithin by a 60lb black barrel swivel.  The fish were VERY aggressive and the 3rd one I caught came up about 10 ft. while my bait was sinking to take it!!  All in all, I can't wait for another shot there, and although we didn't do a whole lot of moving around, and we were there more for Xmas than fishing, we still made our fishing time worthwhile! 

I landed three lakers, 25", 22", and 21" in that order, and all were C&R.  Thanks to many folks on this forum and the information they provided,
this trip was a total success. 

I wish there were better photos of the action, but I guess I really don't need to be shown how awesome it was, being there was enough!

Enjoy......

1st laker EVER!!!!!!!

I like to yell when I catch fish!

Again with the yelling

I love fishing

Gotta show the pup some love for hauling our gear....

Have a Happy New Year!!!!

Jake

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
Re: Finally! Lake Louise Report!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2006, 08:05 PM »
Great Pics Jake, now you know the feeling ;D Nothing like jigging and getting resistance when you go to jerk up.  How big were the berkley power minnows? I have tried them before, it seems the lakers here are getting finicky. I have gotten a Gitzit pak from Cabelas I am planning on using tomorrow. Congrats on the fish, I hope I can catch my first one of the new season soon. Working on getting a fish finder too.

Brad

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2006, 10:42 PM »
dude those are some sweet pics,all i can say is i wish i lived in alaska!!!!I am going crazy with no ice!!!I hope to get to alaska some day. keep the pictures coming keeps us new yorkers sain!!!! :tipup: :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline komocazie74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2006, 10:50 PM »
them are some great lookin fish - i yell sometimes too when i catch fish  :P 

you only live once- take time to enjoy it

Offline AKanders

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'im!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2006, 03:29 PM »
Brad-

They were 2" Powerbait Power Minnows Extra scent Glow Chartruse tipped with strips of Herring.  Ran into them at SW i think.  Heres the link......

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/prod.php?k=49667&sk=46687&p=PURSMMI2-BS#zoom-/dimg/1117248.jpg

Yah I want more of that sweet laker action soon!

Jake

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2006, 08:12 PM »
Jake,
WOW!  Grreat shots man!!  Those fish have some really great colars.  You dog shot was a beauty....  Looks like he'd be right at home on the ice doing what comes natural.  Glad to hear that all worked out on your first laker trip. :tipup:  Keep those shots coming!!!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2006, 01:56 AM »
Looks like you had a blast up there Jake!  Great pic of your dog too.  I just got a harness for pulling my sled.........Only problem is, it's for me  :D.

-Ron

Offline FrankAk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2006, 11:06 PM »
Nice fish. Those pics made me laugh.

Offline Milo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2007, 11:04 AM »
Jake,
Do you have contact info for Wolverine Lodge?   The website that I had bookmarked appears to be gone, and I couldn't find anything else on them.   Also, how are they about having your pup in the cabins?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.