The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Auger quick disconnect coupler  (Read 5978 times)

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
Auger quick disconnect coupler
« on: Dec 20, 2006, 12:49 PM »
Here's one of the better ideas I've seen someone come up with.....it is a coupler that allows you to separate the powerhead of your auger from the auger bit in about 2 seconds.  I just stumbled across this at the local sporting goods store and picked one up.  I thought it was a good idea because I haul my stuff to the lake in a jeep cherokee and the auger never fit very well in the back.  This lets me take it apart.  I fish out of a Fish Trap Pro which is a small one man unit and now the whole auger fits in the sled.  I'm also going to use this to swap out different size auger bits as well depending on what I'm fishing for.  Seems to be good quality (stainless steel I think) but it is heavy.  I would guess it weighs 5 lbs.  Apparently they only have these available for Strikemaster augers right now but are working on others for next year.  Strikemaster augers rotate clockwise and others rotate counter-clockwise (I never knew that) so that's why the coupler isn't universal.  I got mine at Fleet Farm in MN, but I think they are on the strikemaster website too. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline keny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just poken holes
Re: Auger quick disconnect coupler
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2006, 01:14 PM »
These couplers are made by a company called outdoor creations and run about $35 They can be checked out at their website www.outdoorcreationsin c.com   the pic on there is much better than the one on the strikemaster site. They are called kwik koupler.

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2006, 01:52 PM »
Is there anyway it can disengage while drilling and drop the auger bit?

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2006, 02:38 PM »
Three years ago I drilled the threads out of my auger bit and I use a wire lock pin as a quick connect. Cost me about $2.50 and works great.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2006, 02:58 PM »
I can tell you first hand, that KPAlaska's "quick disconnect" is really quick and handy!  I thought his idea was right on the money. :tipup:
TEAM ALASKA

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2006, 03:21 PM »
Strikemaster augers rotate clockwise and others rotate counter-clockwise (I never knew that) so that's why the coupler isn't universal.  

Eskimo are made clock-wise also

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2006, 03:34 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=17919.45

Page 4 down near the bottom. I even posted pictures.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2006, 03:36 PM »
I know the old Jiffys just have the pin and cotter key combo, I'd drill the hole in the pin slightly bigger and use a jesus clip..

For the strikemasters or any other auger that uses a threaded bolt, just drill it out as mentioned in an above post, and use a pin and jesus clip and be done with it for a couple bucks instead of adding a lot of weight and spending some bigger dollars for this quick disconnect thing....Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.