Author Topic: Tested On Ice The New Aqua-Vu VPG Verticle Pixel Graph It's A Winner!  (Read 11201 times)

Offline Lance Yates

• IceShanty Rookie

Well since I already have owned 2 Vexilars, now a FL-18. And I now own a bait & tackle shop here in Illinois for 9 months & like to try & sell merchandise that I truly feel is worthy I had to test my store's VPG so I could confidently reccommend it or not.

I was able to get on @ 4" of ice on my local lake this past sunday afternoon & fish till after midnight using the new VPG.

So here is the scoop!

While fishing in 13' of water I was easily able to see my 1/64 oz. jig & waxworm with the gain at 4. The gain adjusts up to 25. Without a doubt I was able to see fish approaching as light slim gray marks & as they got closer it got wider & darker as they came to the jig. It was in the 30's and I never had to use the "ICE MODE" since it seemed the lcd's reacted quick enough to my needs. Also this sonar was much easier on my eyes after dark than my Vex!

After dark I went to the smallest jigging rapala with a SMALL minnow head & it really showed up well and I likely could have turned the gain back down at that point but was lazy! And I easily saw the tiny crappies 4-8 inches that hit the rapalas from 6 to 10 feet down.

It is EASY to see in daylight, easier on my eyes after dark, had a good zoom allowing me to set from 5 to 15 feet for my spot, simple to comprehend location since it is a vertical dial, very compact, runs @ 30 hours on a charge, and about half the price of a comparable Vexilar!

So yes I have no problem saying that I was impressed & if it lasts as long as Vexilars it is a great value at @ $250.00 for most ice-fisherman. ;D

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
sounds like a winner to me...campared to the vex and marcum...is it easier to control???

Offline Lance Yates

• IceShanty Rookie
sounds like a winner to me...campared to the vex and marcum...is it easier to control???

About the same to me, and it remembers all your last settings too!

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
thays nice...and i take it you can see pretty well in the dark too....

Offline Lance Yates

• IceShanty Rookie
thays nice...and i take it you can see pretty well in the dark too....

Yep no problem!

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
ill have to look into one...looks like alot easier to haul too...

Offline Scott Steil

• Team IceShanty Regular
Seriously??  I tested the unit a few weeks ago in Northern MN.  The unit has some serious issues I found.  Most of the flaws are a result of a horrible "Noise" or Interference Rejection problem.  The others were design issues.  Here are my findings:

The Aqua-Vu VPG was a nice concept but that is the last good thing I have to say about it. Upon first examination the case for the unit is nice but getting it to stand up on an uneven surface is tough to say the least. The unit is shaped like a cone that tips over easily. The battery on my unit had a small wood block taped to it to hold the battery in place. After doing some checking, this is how they all come. Well, my tape lasted one day and my battery was moving all over and I had to fix the power connector that is inside the battery box. This is a terrible design.

As for the function of the unit, well, it functions but not well around any other units. The VPG has a “Noise” button that is supposed to make the unit work around other units, but it does not. Whether it is the Vexilar or the MarCum, both units locked the VPG up and it was worthless. Using the Noise button seemed to limit the gain so bad you get a trailing signal that made it almost impossible to use. When you bring another unit close to the VPG the Auto Range jumps all over and it cannot find bottom. You had to restart the unit to get it to work again.

One other problem I had was after I left all 3 units outside over night, the next day the VPG heater took 2 minutes to heat up the unit enough where it would work but it was still very slow. In addition, when you put the unit into Ice Mode, the 0-5ft scale is gone and the scale starts at 5ft. I am not sure why, but it would not make a good shallow water unit. I was not impressed with this unit one bit; the design needs a lot of work!

The above is just a portion of my testing, but the only thing relavent to this thread.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
thank you...

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
hey scott...what do you do...seems like your pretty informed about alot of the elcetronics used...and what videos do you make???

Offline Lance Yates

• IceShanty Rookie
Seriously??  I tested the unit a few weeks ago in Northern MN.  The unit has some serious issues I found.  Most of the flaws are a result of a horrible "Noise" or Interference Rejection problem.  The others were design issues.  Here are my findings:

The Aqua-Vu VPG was a nice concept but that is the last good thing I have to say about it. Upon first examination the case for the unit is nice but getting it to stand up on an uneven surface is tough to say the least. The unit is shaped like a cone that tips over easily. The battery on my unit had a small wood block taped to it to hold the battery in place. After doing some checking, this is how they all come. Well, my tape lasted one day and my battery was moving all over and I had to fix the power connector that is inside the battery box. This is a terrible design.

As for the function of the unit, well, it functions but not well around any other units. The VPG has a “Noise” button that is supposed to make the unit work around other units, but it does not. Whether it is the Vexilar or the MarCum, both units locked the VPG up and it was worthless. Using the Noise button seemed to limit the gain so bad you get a trailing signal that made it almost impossible to use. When you bring another unit close to the VPG the Auto Range jumps all over and it cannot find bottom. You had to restart the unit to get it to work again.

One other problem I had was after I left all 3 units outside over night, the next day the VPG heater took 2 minutes to heat up the unit enough where it would work but it was still very slow. In addition, when you put the unit into Ice Mode, the 0-5ft scale is gone and the scale starts at 5ft. I am not sure why, but it would not make a good shallow water unit. I was not impressed with this unit one bit; the design needs a lot of work!

The above is just a portion of my testing, but the only thing relavent to this thread.

First off, my model had a small wood block SHIM to keep the battery from sliding FRONT to BACK so block is at back and battery is more secure than ANY of my Vex's. My battery is laying on much larger flat side not bottom and is ROCK STABLE, and I noticed it to sit great?

As far as noise I had 2 buddies around me with Vex's and the noise was no worse than my or thier Vex's had from all 3 of us. I have not had it in extreme conditions but likely never will & always use in the shack unless better than 30 degrees out & it was in the 30's that day & I used it with shack folded open for the first 2-3 hrs. and it worked fine for me! Well enough that I may sell my personal Vex fl-18 for about $300.00 and be able to pocket some cash back too.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>

Lance I'm glad you're happy with the VPG but I wouldn't sell the FL-18 just yet. You did a one day test of the unit and although I don't doubt you like it I would wait and see if you're still this enthused after a few dozen outings. JMHO  ;)

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Scott Steil

• Team IceShanty Regular
I am just a fishing guide.  But, I get the chance to test a lot of "new" equipment on the ice before my guiding season starts.  I am on MarCums Pro Staff, but that has nothing to do with my review of any products.  I take it upon myself to know what is out there each year as far as new equipment.  I try very hard to give honest reviews when I put a piece to the test.

I have a friend that works for Nature Vision and I have expressed my concerns about the unit to him.  I am not making this stuff up.  Once the VPG can not find bottom due to interference it starts randomly scrolling looking for bottom.  If you use the "Noise" feature it slows the unit down so much the trailing signal is so bad you can hardly use it.

I would not sell my MarCum or Vex nor would I buy a VPG as my first flasher.  If a person is looking for a low end flasher the MarCum VX-1 is by far the best option I can find right now.

I don't have a TV show, I just am filming one this weekend on Mille Lacs Walleye.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
ok i gotcha...well no one replied to my review on the lx-i...whats your input before i go buy one...

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
I also field tested the VPG,WOW, what a piece of ..... Absolutly would not function near other flashers. Why would you build a unit to be worthless in under 5 FOW? From what I am hearing , there is alot of units bing returned for being defective. Definetly wouldnt but one until they have worked out the bugs.

Offline Scott Steil

• Team IceShanty Regular
You are not hearing anything about the VPG yet, because not enough people have run them.  They have serious issues, so buyer be warned.

The LX-i is a solid unit, I use it all the time.  It saves time drilling holes early ice and you don't have to unload the sled to get at your flasher to check depth.  Ice use it late ice to check holes after they were drilled.  If you are buying the unit because it searches for fish after it tells you the depth, you will be dissapointed.  However, it is the best of class when it comes to handhelds.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
I was basically buying it for the main fact that it tells you the depth before you drill....figure it would save me time seeing that i have a hand auger and not a power auger...

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just another point on the LX-1. I use mine literally every day in the winter and love it alot. It saves time drilling holes and I have honestly had the fish detector work for me....I couldnt believe it. It is portable and I dont think I had to change batteries in it at all last winter. Definitly one of those products that does what it claims and saves alot of time too.

Robin

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
Sounds Like Scott Steil was right on with his observations just saw this on another site and for you guys that have purchased it, here you go from jpz.

As for some of the issues users have been experiencing. Nature Vision is aware of the situation and is looking at a Software upgrade to fix the Noise reduction. As well as remove the ice mode feature where the top 5' are removed. I will keep you abreast of the situation as to when to expect the upgrade. It will most likely entail sending the unit back to the factory and they will upgrade it and send it back free of charge.
Tim Rogers

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
thanks icetech...wont be getting that anytime soon

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sounds like the Vex is still the King! Is the Lxi a flashlight looking depth finder. I believe Vex has a blue one that may be called a Polar or something.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

Yes the LX-i is a handheld sonar. The blue Polar unit is a StrikeMaster which was the first handheld unit .. to my knowledge. It was designed by Marcum Technologies for Strikemaster I believe in 1995.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
yea i have heard good things about that polar...so if marcum designed that...the lxi has to be good too that i would think...

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wolf, I have the blue strikemaster unit. Just did not see it for awhile as no ice this year. Anyway it seems as if you have to add water to the ice surface to get a reading at times. If these units were reliable they would save us alot of time. Does the LXi shoot through the ice better?

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

You have to place some liquid on the ice for any of them to work ... I squirt saltwater from an old dishwash bottle.
The readings you will get will vary greatly due to the condition of the ice itself. If it's good clear ice they will read very accurately and are a time saver. If the ice is mottled it can be very difficult getting readings.

Offline Lance Yates

• IceShanty Rookie

Yes the LX-i is a handheld sonar. The blue Polar unit is a StrikeMaster which was the first handheld unit .. to my knowledge. It was designed by Marcum Technologies for Strikemaster I believe in 1995.

Howdy All!
Back in 1981 the hot item was a handheld sonar that looked like a blow dryer and it was called the FishRay and was made by Morrow on the east coast. LCD was on top/back and when you pulled trigger to power on, it always showed bottom depth first & then flashed the depths of suspended fish. It was great for pinpointing spots on a spot when I tip-up fished.

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is the LXi that much better than the Polar? If it will save time and drilling it would be worth it for me to get the LXi. If not I will stick with the Polar.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
i just bought the lxi and it seems to work alrite...i liked that much better because the reading was on the top...it takes expensive batteries though....claims to last a long time though...so we'll see i guess...

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
 Test drove my VPG yesterday, I absolutely love it!
No more need to pack a manual and a calculator, to figure out depths.
No more listening to that annoying, battery-draining motor.
No more flashers for me! ;D

Jig and fish movements in real time, everything about it was great!

As for noise, when my buddy WAS CLOSE with his vpg I had to turn up my noise setting and eliminated all but occasional small interference. Never maxed out my setting though.
  I always have my back up NOISE-ELIMINATOR it's called a 1911 ;D
Just pull it out of covie's and all noise will leave. LOL ;D

5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
Blue-toppin.........and lip-rippin
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
 I cannot believe you guys are so negative about something you have no experience with.
 Come on a little feedback please! ::)
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
Blue-toppin.........and lip-rippin
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
I cannot believe you guys are so negative about something you have no experience with.
 Come on a little feedback please! ::)

Do you want me to post pics of it on the ice to prove I have used it? My personal opinion is that if its causing problems for some right now(me included), I WONT recomend it to a fellow icefisherman. I would be P.O'ed if somone wasnt honest with me about somthing I was gonna dump 250 bucks on!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.