The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ice Auger Tune up  (Read 6477 times)

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice Auger Tune up
« on: Dec 08, 2006, 01:41 PM »
I just got an older model jiffy and I was wondering what does eveyone do to make their machines run the best?  I got some Amsoil that I am going to try out. Not sure if I should run it 50:1 or 100:1 .  I have heard both mixtures recommended.  Does premium fuel make a difference?  Does fuel stabilizer make a difference?  What else can I do to make increase my chances of a 1 pull start in cold weather?  My machine starts and runs fine now after a little warming up, just wanting to  have it run at its full capabilities.

Thanks
Waltrout

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
Re: Ice Auger Tune up
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2006, 01:57 PM »
Most guys run 24:1 in their Jiffy's so you might want to make sure you've got the right fuel mix.  If so then I would clean the carb, change the spark plug, if it has a fuel filter I'd change it, and make sure the gas tank isn't full of debris.  If it hasn't been run in a while you should check the gear box to make sure its greased up and maybe change the blades.  After that fill it up and have at it, as far as super or regular it seems to depend on the auger.  All Jiffy's are cold blooded so give it plenty of time to warm up and it'll be fine.
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2006, 02:06 PM »
i agree with smelticca jiffys are cold blooded if i had a nickel for everytime my jiffy started on the first pull i would probably owe someone a buck.  but once warmed up they are good i mix both my 2hp and 3hp at 24:1 5oz of oil to a gal of gas i am a big amsoil fan for my sled but never used it in my auger though.  also i always store my augers with stabil its worth it i use it in my rider my snowblower my wheeler my harley my sled and my boat never had any problems i have a friend that never winterizes or summerizes his stuff and we are constantly cleaning carbs to keep his junk runnin
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2006, 02:20 PM »
I have one of the old Jiffy One Arm Bandits.
It starts pretty much on the first pull.

Good Gas, the right mix, and a clean spark plug go a long way.

I had the carb rebuilt and cleaned last year.
Runs like a champ

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2006, 04:18 PM »
I have one of the old Jiffy One Arm Bandits.
It starts pretty much on the first pull.

Good Gas, the right mix, and a clean spark plug go a long way.

I had the carb rebuilt and cleaned last year.
Runs like a champ

They make a conversion kit for those old one arm bandits...  gives it the wing handle and changes over the throttle to the more modern style...  32 bucks plus shipping probably took me an hour to convert it...  and you get to remove the big handle off the top.... I can get some pics if need be...
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2006, 04:44 PM »
I just got an older model jiffy and I was wondering what does eveyone do to make their machines run the best?  I got some Amsoil that I am going to try out. Not sure if I should run it 50:1 or 100:1 .  I have heard both mixtures recommended.  Does premium fuel make a difference?  Does fuel stabilizer make a difference?  What else can I do to make increase my chances of a 1 pull start in cold weather?  My machine starts and runs fine now after a little warming up, just wanting to  have it run at its full capabilities.

Thanks
Waltrout

I use Amsoil Saber Professional 100 to 1 oil and I use it mixed at 100 to1. Some people mix it 80 to 1 and others 50 to 1. Your choice. Like was stated before, put in a new plug and use a stabilizer. I use Sea Foam in mine. If your auger is a 3 hp, hit the primer three times, choke it and pull it over slowly one time with the switch off. Turn the switch on and give it a pull. My 3 horse would start with one pull nearly every time. If it is a two horse choke it, turn the switch on and pull. It will usually start and then die. When it does this back the choke off just a bit and pull again and it should start. My 2 horse usually takes about 5 or 6 pulls to get it going for the first time each day. They are temperamental little devils and every one has it's own little quirks that you have to learn before you get it down right.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline 1Wildbill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2006, 06:57 PM »
I have one of the one arm augers and would be interested in the conversion kit. I loan it to a friend who fishes with me. Do you have any pictures. Thanks

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2006, 10:29 PM »
I used to have one of those one arm jiffy's and it would start and run fine I paid more attention to how sharp the blade was though. Regarding the fuel the compression on those jiffy or any jiffy does not warrent the use of premium gas
and as for storage I drain all the gas out of the tank and carb. if there isn't any gas in it to go sour no problem

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2006, 05:53 AM »
I have a two hp jiffy and mine also takes about 6-7 pulls first time.  put the choke on till it sputters and flip off and usually starts right up.   Mine runs just fine after a little warming up to thats just the way it is

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2006, 09:53 AM »
My two horse is a 2 pull hot or cold
Cold choke and pull twice and off you go
Hot no choke 2 pulls and your good

Good clean gas mixed (I use Stihl oil 24:1) a new spark plug at the beginning of the season, drain and fog at the end of the season
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2006, 05:57 PM »
Opti 2 @ 100:1 has been the answer for me for the past 15 years.  My auger has a Tanaka engine (34cc) with an 8" auger.  Starts quickly, runs smoothly, and has ample jam to dig a hole faster than any Jiffy, Eskimo or Strike Master!!! ;D ;D

Offline realtree

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2014, 11:54 AM »
Thanks for the info, I need to pull out my dad's auger and tune it up. This should help!

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2014, 06:28 PM »
Holy crap you dug up an old thread!!  Most are now running jiffys 40-50:1.  I run 50/1 trufuel which has no ethanol in it, and includes stabilizer.  I dump a tiny bit of startron in at the end of the season.  Left it will a full tank in my basement, didn't do anything to it, started on the 4th pull this year.  Keep the ethanol away and you'll be fine.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:44 PM »
Thanks for the info, I need to pull out my dad's auger and tune it up. This should help!

Run some sea foam through it before taking anything apart if it runs poorly.

Remove spark plug dump some sea foam in there and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Add some to the rule you are using as well. White smoke is good when running sea foam.

There are many videos on using it for small engine troubleshooting and I use sea foam in every piece of gas equipment I own.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.