Author Topic: Argo, the ultimate fishing vehicle????  (Read 9263 times)

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
Re:Argo, the ultimate fishing vehicle????
« Reply #30 on: Sep 18, 2003, 09:49 AM »
My mininum is about  2-2 1/2 inches, and it has to be popping and snapping, making ice.  My spud bar and picks go with me everywhere.  A spud bar will save your life - nobody should go on first ice without one. And that late ice, rotten stuff that is honeycombed all to heck is even more dangerous then first ice conditions.   I passed 3rd grade math, then went on to pass enough advanced calculus and physics to become a civil engineer  ;D  Oh, the temptation of that first sheet of glare ice!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #31 on: Sep 18, 2003, 12:02 PM »
I hear you richstick. that is to thin of ice for me to even think about going on. I don't need fish that bad. when it gets colder and the ice is safe then out I go and not until then. after all us Wisconsin boys pride our selfs on using our heads for more than just a hat rack. HAHA!!!
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #32 on: Sep 18, 2003, 02:19 PM »
LOL Himo!!  You got that right!!  

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #33 on: Sep 18, 2003, 04:27 PM »
richstick your right on about the spud bar. I'M not being a wise a##, but a lot of guys that would never think about going on thin ( 1&1/2 to 2 inch) ice blindly drive their quad, sled, car, or truck on so called safe ice, and the fall throughs and drownings we see here allways happen on thicker ice.
With our weather conditions here you can't be to cautious.
Be safe :)
crappieloo

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #34 on: Sep 18, 2003, 05:32 PM »
Guys,
Neither Crapieloo nor I suggested that anyone should venture out on unsafe ice.  And never without safety equipment.  But I agree with Crappieloo that I've had more trouble with 6 to 8 inches of ice than with 1 1/2 to 2 inches of good, clear, hard ice.  There were two local televison stations that had competing outdoors shows.  Now both hosts work for the same station.  I've been out on the first major reservoir that freezes around here with both.  It is a race to see who can be the first (sort of).  
With 2 inches, I don't even hesitate.  Don't congregate.  I've gone through when there was 8 inches once, and found a false layer of 4 inches that I went through to my knee, but I've never broken through that first hard ice that is at least 1 1/2 inches thick.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #35 on: Sep 19, 2003, 06:59 PM »
Fishrmh you got the point ;D
Also learned in 3ird grade cub scouts,
1 inch- keep off

2 inches 1 may

3 inches small groups

4 inches OK.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Sep 19, 2003, 10:18 PM »
Hey Richstik, I passed physics also but barely. Only thing I remember is the teach had a heck of a rack.  I dont care what the Cub scouts say, 3" or I`m going pheasant hunting.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #37 on: Sep 20, 2003, 07:16 AM »
COOL, now that the set up is complete, and we know that nobody would venture out on ice less than 2&1/2 inches thick(except for 2 of us) there souldn't be any worrys about breaking through with a 6 or 8 wheeler.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #38 on: Sep 24, 2003, 11:58 AM »
Hi Gang!
    I just walk its good excersize and  it never fails to start.  It doesnt cost $6000 like a argos does and doesnt smell like a hummer  at $40000.  Thats about as bad as those guys buying a bass boat spending $30000 to catch a $10.00 fish!  Just walk dude keep it real!

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #39 on: Sep 24, 2003, 09:43 PM »
Hey Da-Roc i hear you are looking for a 3 man shelter, and also want to night fish. I don'T know how far you like to walk, but we have to walk(pull) our equipment over 1 mile to get to our spot and some times it takes over 1 hour going through 1 foot of snow with 4 inches of slush under that. And we bring alot of stuff for 12 hour nights of ice fishing, plus 2 hours of travel time. Buy the way this is a small lake only 2 miles long. Some bigger lakes we have to go 2 or 3 miles, one way, thats why we would consider a AATV.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #40 on: Sep 26, 2003, 04:59 PM »
Hi Gang!
  An old ice fisherman told me once take only what you can carry or sled easily.  Also get in shape by walking 4 miles a day before season starts.  I live by those words and can walk and drill by hand  as many holes as i need to catch fish.  I walk 1 mile thru brush to sites  in the back woods of a swamp all winter apx...  three times a week .  I usually am in good shape by then.  I have many remote lakes i fish and two compunds that are at least 4000 acres.  The one lake has a flow and you have to go shore bound  to get to the hot spots so a 4 wheeler wouldnt do me any good.  I also fish on 1 1/2 inches of clear hard ice.
I also fish the areas flowing rivers  in the winter when they freeze about 60%  so its all in the skill and caution you use I tie off to the bridge then go drill a hole drp my 16' cane pole in the hole and sit on shore and wait.
  I have been on pop corn ice too that was 8 + inches thick now thats scarry! At night your alone and it pops and cracks snarles it makes me nervous.  Last year i saw ice shelf right in front of me, want to feel alone try that and it was 8 inchs thick.  So i think safe ice is if it holds ya and your in the shallows, Less than 5 ' of water,why not.  Plus I wear hand and toe spikes all season!
   This is just my opinion.  
      Most of you Know more than I do anyway !
   Thanks Da_Roc

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #41 on: Sep 26, 2003, 06:22 PM »
Da-Roc be carefull out there. 2 years ago i could only make it half way to my spot and fell through in the middle of the lake :o This was one of the conditions that was very tough to walk not to mention pulling all my gear. Heavy snow 2 feet thick and then 4 to 6 inches of water under that and then 7 to 9 inches of ice. I just got about 100 feet past a group of fishermen when i got wet. None of them came over to help me............
UG. >:(

Offline Colorado_Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • :-)Reader Beware(-:
Re: Argo, the ultimate fishing vehicle????
« Reply #42 on: Feb 07, 2004, 10:36 AM »
You can find information on both the Argo and the MAX models at:

Biancos All Season Vehicles
41W086 McDonald Road
Elgin, Illinois
(847) 464-0531

[email protected]

http://www.wateratv.com

I know this thread is old but I'm trying to up my post count. Besides, someone _may_ see this, right?  ;)

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." ~Paul Schullery

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #43 on: Feb 07, 2004, 12:13 PM »
I have a four wheeler now,but had a Max II and I tell ya theres no comparision. The Max II is like riding in a car,legs and motor etc. don't get wet.You can turn on a dime,ride thru 12'' of snow without tracks and snow plows great! I used to drive out of my yard and fish the cove in the spring. I had to get rid of it due to stomach surgery and couldn't reach the gear lever.

Offline Shaggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 07, 2004, 12:18 PM »
Snowmobile and Jet Sled

the best way to fish deep snow

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.