Author Topic: Argo, the ultimate fishing vehicle????  (Read 9257 times)

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Argo, the ultimate fishing vehicle????
« on: Aug 19, 2003, 08:51 PM »
 I rely on an old '86 jeep 4X4 pickup to get icebound.  Up here in Canada we can get enough snow some years that it may be tough getting on the lake, even with the Jeep, and I'de hate like heck to not have access to my favorite fishing spots.

I've considered both a quad and snowmobile, however some winters we don't even get enough snow to warrant the purchase of a sled.  The quad would also be pretty useless if there is too much snow to get on the lake with the truck.  I think the solution is one of these eight wheel drive argos I see from time to time.  Seats several people, has cargo space, apparently goes
anywhere, can be fixed with a cab over.  I'm not sure if they have a heater or not, but I'm sure I could rig something.  Most of the used ones I see for sale also come with tracks.  Man are these things manly or what.  It's like a tank built with the fisherman in mind.  Of coarse you wouldn't have to limit it's use to just fishing....

There is an auction in Edmonton that I hear frequently sells these units(operational) for around $600 US.  These are old machines but who cares!!!

I have to check into this, but first if anyone out there has any experience with these machines then I would appreciate some insight...

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
Re:Argo, the ultimate fishing vehicle????
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2003, 07:21 AM »
A friend has an Argo.  It seems that it is forever up on blocks being repaired, usually the drive chains or the bearings on the stub axles.  Parts are hugely expensive, as there are no jobber parts available.  In winter they are useless, as they have only about 4" of ground clearance, hanging up in the snow and spinning.  They plug up in mud, as you only have about 4" between the tires.  What an adventure to clean them out enough to move again!!    

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2003, 10:49 AM »
i suggest buying a hummer. oh yes the ultimate 4 wheel drive. the price is scary. 45,000 to 65,000 dollars american.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2003, 08:01 PM »

K, snowmobile it is....

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2003, 10:33 PM »
I don`t think a hummer would be much of an ice machine. That gulping diesel would stinkify a perosn to death. I always figured those argos were maintenance nightmares. Too many moving parts.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2003, 07:08 AM »
I have a 4WD 4wheeler.  In the winter I put a set of chains on the back tires and have yet to been stuck in the deep snows of upstate NY.  Snowmobiles are great but seasonable.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2003, 08:19 AM »
I don't think I'd put a hummer on the ice unless it was about 4 feet thick - I'd bet Himo was joking  ;D

Here in northern Wisconsin, alot of guys have both a 4-wheeler and a snowmobile.  Lucky guys.  Can't beat a snowmobile for deeper snow.  I have two small kids and student loans, so I have a one man quick flip shack and two feet that get me where I need to go!!!  Last year was the best ice year in a looong time, I was driving my all wheel drive minivan all over the lakes, it was awesome  ;D

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2003, 08:20 AM »
I don't think I'd put a hummer on the ice unless it was about 4 feet thick - I'd bet Himo was joking  ;D

Here in northern Wisconsin, alot of guys have both a 4-wheeler and a snowmobile.  Lucky guys.  Can't beat a snowmobile for deeper snow.  I have two small kids and student loans, so I have a one man quick flip shack and two feet that get me where I need to go!!!  Last year was the best ice year in a looong time, I was driving my all wheel drive minivan all over the lakes, it was awesome  ;D

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2003, 08:29 AM »
yes I was joking about the hummer. i had my front wheel drive mini van out on the ice last year in northeastern wisconsin(highfalls flowage by crivitz) and never got stuck once. you have to drive carefully but if you are in a snow belt like we are you learn in a hurry.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2003, 12:59 PM »
whoops - sorry for the double post.  

Hey, minivans make serious ice-fishing vehicles!  I take the back seat out, and it's enough room for my shanty and gear, it works great!  

Yeah, living in the snowbelt, you learn how to drive through anything.  Me and that van can go through anything a 4-wheel drive truck can - and more actually.

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Aug 21, 2003, 03:02 PM »
i suggest buying a hummer. oh yes the ultimate 4 wheel drive. the price is scary. 45,000 to 65,000 dollars american.

That's sounds like a good idea! ;)

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 21, 2003, 07:16 PM »
not that kind of hummer you dirty ole man.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 21, 2003, 08:48 PM »
I drive all over lakes in an '86 buick century and no problem. Only thing I got stuck with last year? F150 4wd. I was able to get out with no help but I had to shovel a little. And I pulled other guys out that were stuck BAD.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 22, 2003, 07:26 AM »
sounds like you drive a mule.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 22, 2003, 08:19 PM »
The reason they call them Argo is that you swear at them to
Arg-go As they stated before to many moving parts, and to low to the ground! Get a good reliable 4 wheeler with 4 wheel drive.
Cold Feet

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 23, 2003, 06:42 AM »
no ground clearance and you are asking for trouble. I agree with coldfeet.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #16 on: Aug 27, 2003, 06:34 PM »
The upside to an ARGO is that it's amphibious. Here in NY, I here of people going through the ice on their 4-wheelers, sleds, and trucks, and losing everything. Not something I would really want to risk. There are companiese out there that make much better quailty machines than the original ARGO. I know a guy that has one (I can't remember which brand it is) that he has never had trouble with. It takes him everywhere he needs to go. It has a cab, plow, winch...and yes, a heater! Ask around and I'm sure that you'll find a good one.

Zach

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Aug 27, 2003, 06:36 PM »
check out a polaris dealer. i am not sure but they might make something similar.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #18 on: Aug 28, 2003, 04:09 PM »
I saw a Polaris quad with a track system installed. Looks SWEET! Had a single track setup to replace each wheel. I think the system was $2400 plus the cost of the 4wheeler.

I'm going back on Saturday and I'll get more info on the setup. I think it was an after market product, not made by Polaris.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #19 on: Aug 28, 2003, 07:07 PM »
The other machine that is a 6 wheel deal is called Max it is built in Cheektowaga N.Y. or itt was the last time I knew. But anyways  they are not a great snow machine either yes they float but if you break through there is no way that the wheels can grab the ice to get out which leaves it up to someone to get out or someone on the ice to get near the break to help. If you ask me its not worth someone getting hurt for all this Besides they are heavy and you will need to trailer something this big. Not like a Quad or Sled that you can put on the back of a p/u truck.
Cold Feet

Offline Sturge1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Sep 03, 2003, 07:03 PM »
After reading the post does the Argo with tracks work better in the deep snow but not when it breaks through the ice? Can you get back up on the ice after breaking through if the tracks have cleats?
  I have been thinking of buying a 8 wheel Argo and putting on tracks if there is deep snow or studs if snow is lite. Can you get back up on the ice with Studed tires?
Thanks
Sturge1

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 03, 2003, 08:02 PM »
Sturge1
If you look at the machine in water the tires are pretty much submerdged under the water which will not give you the grip to pull itself up on the ice furthermore if you think about it even if it did the back of the machine will be under water when it starts to pull itself out if you luckey enough to not flip over sliding around on the wet ice that your trying to get up on. Adding steel cleats on ice makes for great ice skates not traction and studs are out of the question with those tires, they are a chevron tread (like a tractor tire).  The machine might work ok on land unfrozen or swamps but even with this you have to look for a spot with a easy slop to get out of the water not a vertical wall. I'd think twice before buying something like this and I still believe a Quad or a snowmobile is still the best way to go.
Cold Feet

mngonefishing

« Reply #22 on: Sep 12, 2003, 09:46 PM »
a good 4x4 with chains or snowmobile
1963 TUCKER SNOW CAT MODEL #443 SMR SEDAN  Item number: 2431824676   this is on eeeee bay

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #23 on: Sep 14, 2003, 08:21 AM »
One word,    MAX.

Man, i thought i had b#lls Icefishin on 1 &1/2 inches of ice.
I wouldn't worry about breaking through any ice with a Max unless i was on ice less than that thickness.
A man exerts 8 psi of ground presure.
A 4x4 jeep 28 psi.  ''      "        "
A Max 3psi            "       "       "
A Max with tracks 1.2 to 2psi.
A Max will go through 14 inches of loose snow.
Deeper loose snow will reqire tracks.
I've wanted one of these babys fo years, but can't afford it. Also they go better in the water than a argo ( level compared to nose heavy).

Crappieloo
Wayne Co.
N.Y.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Sep 16, 2003, 10:55 PM »
You fished on ice 1.5" thick? Here we break that open and shoot ducks.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #25 on: Sep 17, 2003, 05:59 AM »
OH YEA, round here with our short season (compared to yours) its what we call First Ice :o
It's a little wierd watching fish through the ice, and we use a longer rod(4 footer) to keep away from the hole for awhile, kinda scary.
When this technique is used it must be very cold and making ice.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #26 on: Sep 17, 2003, 06:16 AM »
Crappieloo,
Glad to see that there's someone else out there who is as crazy as me.  I've gotten some strange looks, and some disbelieving stares from folks when I tell them that I've fished through 1 1/2 inch thick ice.  But you're right, it has to be cold as heck, and forming ice.

Keep up the good work.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 17, 2003, 11:02 AM »
1.5 inches of ice? I have more than that in my mixed drink. stay safe and don't press your luck.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Sep 17, 2003, 11:59 AM »
what some would call crazy, others would call stupid. No crappie or gill is worth your life.  I don't care how "skilled" you think you are - Mother Nature is always your master.  Respect Her.  

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #29 on: Sep 17, 2003, 04:25 PM »
Well if you passed 3ird grade math like i did ,then you can do what i do.
Anyway i fall through the ICE every year and on adverage it is between 8 and 12 inches thick. SO i am stupid in that respect :-[

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.