Author Topic: ADDING "CLEATS" TO EXISTING BOOTS????  (Read 4137 times)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
ADDING "CLEATS" TO EXISTING BOOTS????
« on: Nov 02, 2006, 07:51 PM »
I've read several posts in the past about adding "cleats" (actually screws) to the bottom of boots (in my case, "Mickys"), but, exactly what kind of screws are best???  Once screwed into the soles & heels, what prevents them from popping out???  Is there some kind of special adhesive to apply to the threads before screwing them in???

Been using Korkers for many years, but lost one last season and want to try this other option before spending another $50 for a new pair.

IceBalls

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ADDING "CLEATS" TO EXISTING BOOTS????
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2006, 08:32 PM »
Just get some small hex head sheet metal screws.  Make sure you get the stainless steel ones so they will not rust. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2006, 09:44 PM »
go to a powersports dealer and get studs for ice racing quads. they don't rust and there not only hex head but there v cut also ;)
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2006, 05:21 AM »
Just get some small hex head sheet metal screws.  Make sure you get the stainless steel ones so they will not rust. 

same here...cant beat it !!careful with the mickeys though...dont they have an airspace between the layers? dont wanna poke no holes where you arent supposed to

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2006, 06:52 AM »
The only part about adding screws is that they aren't very forgiving when you forget about them and walk into the house with them on.  The wife isn't very forgiving when you cut the vinyl in the entry way either. 

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2006, 08:22 AM »
I did my Sorels. They work great vary little added weight.  No good on hard wood floors but great on the ice.

Offline IcePro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Have Fish House Will Travel"
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2006, 08:37 AM »
Same as mentioned as above, use small hex head sheet metal screws.  This is what STABILicers™ and the HT version of these ice cleats use.

As long as the sole is hard enough to hold a screw it will work.  Even if you loose a few screws ;D they are cheap enough to replace.
It must be ICE FISHING SEASON, my wife has increased my "Life Insurance Policy"

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2006, 09:42 AM »
Had a guy on our broomball team use socket head cap screws in the bottom of his boots once. He was sending up roostertails. I got wind and suggested that that was not very sporting and could have resulted in problems should the leauge have found out.

Offline KGrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2006, 01:49 AM »
With the mickymouse/bunny boots about the only place you could safely put the screws in is the heals.  The rest of the sole is too thin and you will break waterproof seal, possibly get the insulation wet.  Once the insulation gets wet it will not dry out.

I would use a pair of external crampons with the bunnyboots.

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2006, 08:44 AM »
I use the screws as well. Best cleats money can buy. My wolverines have held up for some time now. I keep a driver and screws in my pack basket. Came in handy last year with the lack of snow on the ice.FH
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2006, 05:23 PM »

These are the ticket, they look stupid but they work!

They are called arctic spurs. I have a couple different pairs of boots for fishing and hunting, I don't want to run screws in them so these are great. They stay on and wont slip, and they come off easy to prevent damage to your shack.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2006, 05:31 PM »
Dont forget about them though...they can do a number on your shanty floor

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2006, 04:01 PM »
I did the screw thing for years... We had some extras from the old ice racing days ;D  I upgraded my boots a couple of years ago and the lugs weren't thick enough for screws so I use Hodgman Gladiators. Guys use them out here for wading in the surf, they go for about $50 and have replacable carbide tiped spikes. I'm very happy with them and love how quickly they come off the boot and how easily they go back on.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline oldken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2006, 06:29 PM »
i don't know if you could put them in the soles of your boots but i once had regular tire studs put in the heels of my rubber boots and they worked good

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.